Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 12-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Aftermaket Flywheels

Soooo after quite a bit of using my good friend, the "search" button, I couldn't come up with a definitive answer on this question.

Seems almost everyone does a WRX swap when they go 5speed... I'm a cheap bastard and went 96 Leggy 5 speed (mainly due to wanting the cable feel, and not wanting to hack up the firewall too bad).

Had the flywheel re-surfaced when I replaced it, but (2 years later) been having some flywheel chatter get worse and worse. I see that the WRX flywheel, and presumably the aftermarket WRX ones, will fit if you did a WRX transmission, but has anyone checked a WRX flywheel on a Leggy transmission?

Any of the old timers who like that classic "cable feel" know of a good aftermarket flywheel for the old legacy transmissions? My searches only turn up stuff like this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-97-98-LEG...-/400230548668

With one exception for this: http://products.vividracing.com/aasc...1013484997.php but that seems very pricey for a brand *I've* never heard of...

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 12-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Aftermaket Flywheels

Is the original Subaru flywheel aluminum?
I recall a friend putting an Aluminum flywheel in his 57 chevy (they came with heavy steel )and it never idled really smooth.Seems like it is not the flywheel that would cause the chatter as much as the pressure plate..Is it wrong to ASSUME that.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Go to your local parts stores. Hocrest as well as SVXal have both found new replacements for that type of transmission for around $60 or so. Brand new. Considering getting one "cut" seems to cost around $40, it's a much better route. I don't recall where they went, but check with advance, autozone, etc.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Is the original Subaru flywheel aluminum?
I recall a friend putting an Aluminum flywheel in his 57 chevy (they came with heavy steel )and it never idled really smooth.Seems like it is not the flywheel that would cause the chatter as much as the pressure plate..Is it wrong to ASSUME that.
No, the one that I took off and got re-surfaced was WAY too heavy to be aluminum. Plus IIRC aluminum ones can't be re-surfaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Go to your local parts stores. Hocrest as well as SVXal have both found new replacements for that type of transmission for around $60 or so. Brand new. Considering getting one "cut" seems to cost around $40, it's a much better route. I don't recall where they went, but check with advance, autozone, etc.
I'm not worried about finding an OEM replacement - they made so many of those motors, they're a dime a dozen! I was curious if anyone knows of flywheels that fit other applications that would work, for hope of more aftermarket (lightweight) options.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 12-28-2011, 02:32 PM

Registered SVX

I only asked about aluminum is the ones you posted looked aluminum
Old 12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

There are a few lightweight flywheels but not aluminum ones for that type of transmission.

And WRX flywheel and clutch kit won't work on the type of transmission you have

Last edited by 1986nate; 12-28-2011 at 03:17 PM.