Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 AM

problems, the svx is killing me..

so yesterday i was driving and my axle (i think) went wrong.
the car has a soft shaking when i drive.. oh and when i got out of a parralel park and put the car in reverse to back up, the tranny had a loud popp.. it happened once before, and i know it's from the tranny not warming up.. but wtf, it sounded bad, anyway about the front axle ( i think ) i have to buy $$$ it now and as a i was driving yesterday a 300zx passed me by ( made me feel like ****) driving my slow sluggish svx i wish the svx came from factory turbo and with all the goodies.. im wondering if it's worth the time and money to try to make this thing fast..
Old 06-25-2011, 09:59 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: problems, the svx is killing me..

Front axle ~$70 from advance. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._841277348____

It's for a FWD SVX, so it's actually supposed to be stronger than the AWD ones.

As for making the SVX faster. It's rarely more economical to make a car faster than it is to trade for the car that's already faster. The SVX is especially expensive to get any significant amount of power out of. Basically if you don't have a lot of time and money to throw at it, it's not worth it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-25-2011, 10:27 AM

how does yours drive compared to other sport cars you've driven ? what do you have on your svx?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:29 AM

nevermind i just read what mods you have on by your user name lol
but about the driving... how is it?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:31 AM

mine has a minor oil leak.. and if i step the gas to power you can smell burnt oil ( i think its oil) .. the body looks good tho, its claret and i take good care of cleanning it.. interior is nice also..
Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 AM

Registered SVX

It's a blast when it's working right. It's pretty quick, just not faster than cars that are actually fast. My old '06 Sentra SE-R was almost as fast, just because of how light it was. It felt about as sturdy as a mailbox though, and it didn't handle anywhere near as well. Even without doing any suspension work, yet, the SVX handles way better. More importantly (and having crashed one of each to prove it ) the SVX is a much safer car, even if it is a lot older.

Problem now is mine is going to need an engine rebuilt and swapped in, the rings are letting oil past and it's burning oil and blowing smoke out of the exhaust. I'm going to rebuild an extra engine for some real power (probably turbo). No small endeavor, and will require quite a bit of custom work.

The 6-speed makes it a much more fun car to drive, even if it's not actually that much faster. Just an absolute delight.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 AM

man i would love a six speed, did u do the work yourself?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 AM

and theres a difference between fwd and awd axles? hmmm... im guessing the rear axle is ok huh?? or should i just change both of them? my bearing is messed up t on the rear right side so im gonna have to change that... should i change everything?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:45 AM

Registered SVX

Nah, change what's broken. Don't waste any money fixing things that aren't broken.

I paid someone to swap the 6-speed into my white SVX, then it got wrecked about a week after the swap was done. Then I picked up my blue one for $800 with a bad trans and swapped the 6-speed into it myself. Way easier than you might expect, but I did a lot of research before hand and basically watched it done once.

The only thing that I'm not super happy about with the swap is the specific 6-speed I used. It's a really short geared one, but the EG33's awesome torque curve doesn't suit such a short-geared transmission. If I were to do it again, I'd use a 06 STi 6-speed with a DCCD. They are pricey though.

A WRX 5-speed would be pretty fun too, and much cheaper.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:20 PM

which 6 speed did you use ? does the year of the sti tranny make a difference? like for example is the six speed from 2004 different gears from the 2006?
Old 06-25-2011, 02:29 PM

Registered SVX

Yes, the 6-speed is different from every year. Mine is a JDM one from 02, the STi didn't come to the US till 04, and initially the DCCD was optional.

Check out this thread for more info: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=57605&page=2

Old 06-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

From my experience, if I didn't need the beef to back up the boost, I'd rather have a 5-speed. Six gears is a lot of rowing - I only use half of them most of the time.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:59 PM

quick question about wheels? i have 18's on mine and they look gorgeous, but are a little heavier than the stock ones, thus takes away a little take off boost, what wheels would be the best for speed and stability>?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Personal opinion? Setting aesthetics and cushy cruiser ride aside, for a sporting driver, I wouldn't use anything but 17s. A 16 inch tire offers too much sidewall flex for my taste, and 18 inch tires exceed my interests in moment of inertia and price tag.