SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
M/T Starter

Hi all, quick question for some of you guys who have experience with MT swaps. I feel like the car takes a little bit longer to start than it did before the swap. Like the starter has to try harder or something? Is that maybe just because it's a more difficult engine to get going than the engine it was designed for? I think the starter is from an STi, but no way to be sure. (Do 5-speed starters even fit on 6-speeds?)

Any other ideas?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 PM

Re: M/T Starter

Factoring in the mass of the clutch/flywheel as a possible subjective cause of your drag?
Do a battery hygrometer test, check the cables for corrosion, and do an amp check before ruling out a going south starter.

STI's come with the standard drive type starter, whereas earlier generations of Subies came with gear reduction starters. I prefer the earlier style units for ease of starting ability.

Believe the starters are the same whether 4eat or 5/6mt, not interchangeable. Curious as to whether the earlier gear reduction starters mount in the standard drive location. I've never rebuilt a standard drive unit, but the parts to rebuild a gear reduction version are about $8, my cost.

--Correction-- Different part numbers for both the 4eat and 5mt versions.

'05 STI
'00 2.5RS

Last edited by pile o' wrx; 02-24-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

my first thought when I started my 5spd for the first time was it started quicker but could have just been me.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pile o' wrx View Post
Believe the starters are the same whether 4eat or 5/6mt, and interchangeable, aside from the diff I've listed.
Do you mean internally? Because the 4eat starter on the SVX is definitely not interchangeable. Anyway, I don't think the starter is bad, I was just wondering if maybe it's underpowered for the EG33 or something.

It could be that the flywheel/pp are kinda heavy. They seemed heavy to me, but I don't think it would be any heavier than the torque converter.

The battery is a new optima battery and although the wires are not 100% corrosion free, they're the same as they were before the swap. The connection to the starter I know is better than it was before the swap because I made sure it was nice and clean and super tightened down.

Anything usual suspects that could affect how quick it starts? It drives beautifully and idles great about 95% of the time (occasionally the idle dips down a bit when coming to a stop). Maybe I just need to change out the fuel and air filters and clean the MAF and stuff. Or maybe it needs plugs. I have no maintenance records whatsoever so I guess I should do all the regular maintenance stuff preventatively...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Stand corrected and previous post edited.

Curious as to whether the earlier gear reduction starters mount in the standard drive location.

Is your issue more of a subjective nature or have you observed the starter's cranking output gradually diminishing?

'05 STI
'00 2.5RS
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 PM

Registered SVX

Pretty subjective. Doesn't seem to have changed, just seems to take longer to start than before the swap.