Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM

MAF Connector Issue

This doesn't look right to me and I need help fixing this issue. My car runs sluggish at operating temp. However for the first five minutes of driving it runs like a champ no sluggish movement my voltimeter reads 14 and as a drive along it get's more and more sluggish until I hit 12 volts moving and sometimes 10 at stop lights. I believe that my MAF connector is the issue

I've already cleaned the MAF and changed the air filter and disconnected the battery. None of these things helped me out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Problem.JPG (23.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Registered SVX
Re: MAF Connector Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GgabrielBenitez View Post
This doesn't look right to me and I need help fixing this issue. My car runs sluggish at operating temp. However for the first five minutes of driving it runs like a champ no sluggish movement my voltimeter reads 14 and as a drive along it get's more and more sluggish until I hit 12 volts moving and sometimes 10 at stop lights. I believe that my MAF connector is the issue

I've already cleaned the MAF and changed the air filter and disconnected the battery. None of these things helped me out.
At exactly what point in the wiring is the voltmeter connected? It would appear that you are reading battery voltage, If so the alternator or associated circuit is faulty.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 AM

Yeah it's reading battery volts, I just thought that this connector might be the reason I'm idling so rough. Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yeah it's reading battery volts, I just thought that this connector might be the reason I'm idling so rough. Any ideas?
Yes I have ideas.

N.B. i.e. presuming that you are reading voltage from MAF connector terminal (1). --- The alternator bearings could be binding, an internal short circuit, or whatever.

MAF terminal (4) should register a low voltage of say 1 - 2 volts at idle, this being the signal circuit. Terminals 2 & 3 are ground connections. Terminal (5) is not used and this will enable you to determine the numbering sequence.

No more ideas, sorry.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Thanks Trevor I actually figured that out a minute ago. So this may be an alternator issue. Should I just get a new one or fix that little sucker my self? I just want my car to run healthy
Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks Trevor I actually figured that out a minute ago. So this may be an alternator issue. Should I just get a new one or fix that little sucker my self? I just want my car to run healthy
Your choice.

Depends on your electrical knowledge and mechanical experience. You will need a fairly hefty soldering iron, and if as it appears likely, the bearings are shot, a puller. If the armature is damaged, you can write it off.

An exchange reconditioned unit from a reliable shop, is a good bet.