How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX
Flashing CEL after cold start

Hello all. It was -18 degrees out today when I tried to remotely start my 96 L. It wanted to go but sputtered and failed about 3 times. So I went outside to start it with the key and had to give it some gas for about the first 15-30 seconds to keep it going. After that it was able to stay running on its own, so I let it run for about 10-15 minutes and went back outside. I found a flashing Check Engine Light waiting for me.

Some background info:
I have about a quarter tank of gas (which usually means at least 6 gallons)
I have had O2 sensor #3 codes about 3 or 4 times in the past 3 or 4 thousand miles.
I also have a bad front passenger side wheel bearing which started making noise about 2-3 weeks ago.

Its supposed to get to -30 degrees tonight so I don't really want to go outside to pull the codes, but I thought I would get a jump on it if anyone here had some thoughts. Thank you in advance.
1992 Ebony SVX LS-L - 193k (parts)
Old 01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Flashing CEL after cold start

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXalter View Post
Hello all. It was -18 degrees out today when I tried to remotely start my 96 L. It wanted to go but sputtered and failed about 3 times. So I went outside to start it with the key and had to give it some gas for about the first 15-30 seconds to keep it going. After that it was able to stay running on its own, so I let it run for about 10-15 minutes and went back outside. I found a flashing Check Engine Light waiting for me.

Some background info:
I have about a quarter tank of gas (which usually means at least 6 gallons)
I have had O2 sensor #3 codes about 3 or 4 times in the past 3 or 4 thousand miles.
I also have a bad front passenger side wheel bearing which started making noise about 2-3 weeks ago.

Its supposed to get to -30 degrees tonight so I don't really want to go outside to pull the codes, but I thought I would get a jump on it if anyone here had some thoughts. Thank you in advance.
Maybe the svx didn't enjoy the temps :P

What was the check engine light for?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

96's have to be scanned with an OBD-II reader...... a flashing MIL usually means a bad misfire.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Registered Loser

I've made a mistake once before where I've left 1 of the 2 diagnostic wires plugged into the connector that you use to check for codes. If you've recently checked for codes and left the wire till plugged into the connector, that maybe the culprit.

It says in the manual not to start your engine with the diagnostic wire plugged into the connector but it doesn't say the car won't start... It will start and just keep flashing.

Jordan.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSVX View Post
I've made a mistake once before where I've left 1 of the 2 diagnostic wires plugged into the connector that you use to check for codes. If you've recently checked for codes and left the wire till plugged into the connector, that maybe the culprit.

It says in the manual not to start your engine with the diagnostic wire plugged into the connector but it doesn't say the car won't start... It will start and just keep flashing.

Jordan.
While this is true, his car is a 96 US model which has the OBD-II. It requires a scanner to plug in to retrieve codes. Great advice though.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 PM

Registered SVX

The codes were P0304, P0305, and P0306. Cylinder 4, 5, and 6 misfires. I cleared the codes and have started the car several times now that the temperature is above 0. The check engine light has not come back on so far. Should I be scared?
1992 Ebony SVX LS-L - 193k (parts)
Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXalter View Post
The codes were P0304, P0305, and P0306. Cylinder 4, 5, and 6 misfires. I cleared the codes and have started the car several times now that the temperature is above 0. The check engine light has not come back on so far. Should I be scared?
You report that the engine sputtered and ran badly when it was first started. At that point there could have been misfiring which later became normal. As a result a misfiring would have been recorded in memory to be disclosed later.

The actual cause will be difficult to pin point. Nothing indicates that you should be scared, much less overly concerned.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!