How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2002, 11:20 AM
$VX

yes, because momo= high performance, no matter what item it is. I mean, if you have a momo shifter, it makes you faster. If you havea momo keychain, your car starts better, and with momo speakers it sounds better. :P

I think the idea of a car 'accessory' company slapping their name on some speakers is kinda dumb; regardless of whether or not the speakers are any good.

- Ca$h
Old 09-23-2002, 05:00 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
The Polk/MOMO speakers look awesome, but it's true that no matter what logo they put on them, they are still Polk...and therefore most likely sound like Polk speakers.

With a ton of car stereo experience and several years of IASCA and two years of USAC competition building...i have some suggestions. Someone in this thread said that you should listen to different speakers and decide for yourself. They are right. The only way you will find speakers you really like is to pick them out yourself. We can tell you which ones to stay away from, because that's usually pretty easy. I will however mention the ones i think are superb.

My recommendations are:

Diamond Audio Hex S-series. there are S-series and A-series...you definetly want the S-series...they use Silk Dome tweeters and sound so much smoother than the A(aluminum) series.

Focal PolyKevlar...ridiculously expensive but for a darn good reason. Hands down the most amazing speakers i have ever heard. The diamonds are a very close second and about $500 cheaper.

Aura MR...this is a big pro sound company that makes a small line of little known car audio products. Their components rival the Diamonds and again are much cheaper than the Focals. Good luck finding them though.

If you don't have a fortune to spend on speakers...go with Premier or Infinity. Those are probably your best bang-for-the-buck. The Premiers are especially impressive because of their bass response...if you want it to sound like you have 6x9s in your doors, then these are your ticket.

I noted that alot of you are using MB Quart...so i wanted to say that in my opinion, while they do sound great, they are a bit too expensive for what you get. One thing about the MBs...if i recall correctly, they have an amazingly small required install depth. So if the SVX doors are very shallow, then they may be the way to go.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:32 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I still say if you want the best sound system, go with McIntosh. They are expensive but the sound is crisp, clear and unbeatable. I can only imagine what the sound would be like in the SVX. SVX already have the right positions on the speakers.

http://66.216.98.167/mcprod/products...shCarAudio.jsp

As for the speakers, I recommand that you run 6s at the front and 6.5s at the back and get a sub if you truely want a nice clear sound from speakers. 6x9s regardless of the maker have higher distortion compare to the 6.5 or the 6" speakers. Get a cross over and 2 amps.

Until I upgrade my sounds, I am very happy with my current combo. 6.5 and 6x9 polk powered by a blaupunkt LA mp3 player.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-23-2002, 06:25 PM

research

I've researched speakers and listened to most. Pioneers to me have the most well rounded reproduction of sound to me. I know there are trendier and more costly speakers out there but for the money I'd go Pioneer. I have a set in the rear and a set of Sony xplods in the front and even though the sonys are right next to me the rear Pioneers still sound better. Now everyones ears hear different, so go to Circuit City and compare
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 09-23-2002, 09:59 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
The Polk/MOMO speakers look awesome, but it's true that no matter what logo they put on them, they are still Polk...and therefore most likely sound like Polk speakers.

This is bad?

Someone in this thread said that you should listen to different speakers and decide for yourself. They are right.

That was me (Thank you very much) [Takes a shallow, self serving bow]

I noted that alot of you are using MB Quart...so i wanted to say that in my opinion, while they do sound great, they are a bit too expensive for what you get. One thing about the MBs...if i recall correctly, they have an amazingly small required install depth. So if the SVX doors are very shallow, then they may be the way to go.
I would tend to agree.

Randy ii
Old 09-23-2002, 10:13 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Just to clarify...nothing wrong with Polk speakers...I knew a guy with a Civic and two sets of their old db components...sounded unbelievable.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:49 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: research

Quote:
Originally posted by svxy
I've researched speakers and listened to most. Pioneers to me have the most well rounded reproduction of sound to me. I know there are trendier and more costly speakers out there but for the money I'd go Pioneer. I have a set in the rear and a set of Sony xplods in the front and even though the sonys are right next to me the rear Pioneers still sound better. Now everyones ears hear different, so go to Circuit City and compare
I've been a big fan of Pioneers for some time. They are an excellent speaker for the money. I went with the X-Plod 3-Ways in the front and rear and have the stock tweets. To me (note, I said to me) they are fantastic.

I went a little stranger route in the "Evil Twin." The front passenger's speaker was blown, so, I just replaced the fronts. I put some Jensen 3-ways in front and am running the stock rears. Not a "rock your world" combination, but, more than adequate for my tastes. However, I may do Pioneers all the way 'round, once I get the body work done . . . in a few years from now.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-23-2002, 11:07 PM
BrentSVX

Re: Re: research

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I've been a big fan of Pioneers for some time. They are an excellent speaker for the money. I went with the X-Plod 3-Ways in the front and rear and have the stock tweets. To me (note, I said to me) they are fantastic.
I thought X-Plods were a Sony product.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:10 PM
BrentSVX

Nevermind, I read your post wrong.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by BrentSVX
Nevermind, I read your post wrong.
No prob. Somtimes, I don't explain things well. I can understand how you could misunderstand, after I re-read my post.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI