Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 06-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
AWD's Transmission Filter and Cooler Install

First, Allot yourself about 3-4hrs to do this job.

-Start by removing the front bumper.
-There are 4 17mm hex head bolts behind the headlights that are the main support bolts. There there are two 10mm hex head bolts on the rear upper corners inside the bumper cover. There there are two 17mmhex head bolts on the bottom of the cover. There is also a single 10mm hex head on the center of the opening of the bumper. Finally remove the corner lights to get the two 10mm hex head bolts holding the cover to the frame. This should allow you to pull the bumper off the car and look like this

Now you can mount the filter assembly with relative ease. Drill at least two holes for the mount to get bolted to using the supplied screws. Then assemble the filter mount with the threaded snout short end toward the mount. Use the 2 90* fittings w/ teflon tape and install them into the filter housing so they point away from the mount. At this point, go ahead and attach the mount to the frame rail as seen here.

OK with all that out of the way, it is time to mount the trans cooler. This is a relatively big cool for the space it occupies so fitments might not be perfect on all cars, esp ones that have been in accidents before. I remove the ambient temp sensor mounting bracket and slide the cooler behind the center rad support. Then push a fastener from the backside of the radiator through the fins of the radiator, A/C condenser, then through the trans cooler as seen here

You can use more than one fastener if you please but it is not entirely needed.

Now we move onto the hose routing. The filter has a check valve in it so you really need to pay attention to the flow or else you could end up cooking a trans. The filter assembly is marked IN and OUT. You need to route the cooler line that used to go to the Passenger side of the radiator out to the IN fitting. This is the feed directly from the transmission and thus the need for it to go to the IN fitting. There is room between the frame rail and the radiator to run the line though and over to the filter.

Now from the OUT fitting of the filter to the external cooler. Run this line to the top of the cooler (remember heat rises).

Then run a new line from the bottom fitting of the cooler back between the radiator and the frame and to the passenger side fitting on the bottom of the radiator.

Tighten all your supplied hose clamps properly and fill the filter with transmission oil. Then put the filter on the mount and tighten it down. Don't try and kill it but make sure it is very snug. Should look like this

Now that all your lines are routed and the cooler and filter are mounted it is time to put the bumper back on the reverse of the removal. Pay attention to the routing of the hoses around the bumper beams because it is possible to pinch one off and you wouldn't want to do that.

After the bumper is back on, this is what you should have

I know this seems like the hard way of doing it by removing the bumper and all but it will save time and frustration by trying to drill holes for the mount behind the bumper cover. Not to mention it allows you to mount the cooler in front of the A/C condenser so you don't heat soak the fluid while running your air conditioning. I also prefer to run the fluid in this series. Transmission->filter->external cooler->stock cooler->transmission. Now I do this for one reason. The stock "cooler" is not meant to cool at all really. It is meant to control the temperature of the fluid to keep it at ideal operating temp whether it be too cold outside or too hot. So this will help the transmission from creating too much heat for the stock cooler to handle yet allow the trans to get fluid back to it at the ideal operating temperature which is around 180-190*F... Same temp as the coolant Hope this helps

Tom
Old 06-15-2009, 02:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: AWD's Transmission Filter and Cooler Install

wow great job , i am doing this right away this summer, but where did u find the cooler?
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill
Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Nice setup! If the trans warmed up too slowly in the winter, could this thermostat be added?
From Jeg's online catalog:

"JEGS thermostatic sandwich adapters fit between your existing oil filter and the engine block to begin directing oil toward the cooler at 160°F and release all oil to the cooler at 180 °F. Available for popular engine and oil filter boss combinations. Includes two 1/2" hose fittings and two stainless hose clamps. Oil cooler hose sold separately. Made in USA."

Since the oil filter is already mounted, addition looks easy- plus the T'Sat is only ~$25.00
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k

Last edited by processengr; 06-16-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Removed "T" return
Old 06-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
Nice setup! If the trans warmed up too slowly in the winter, could this thermostat be added?
From Jeg's online catalog:

"JEGS thermostatic sandwich adapters fit between your existing oil filter and the engine block to begin directing oil toward the cooler at 160°F and release all oil to the cooler at 180 °F. Available for popular engine and oil filter boss combinations. Includes two 1/2" hose fittings and two stainless hose clamps. Oil cooler hose sold separately. Made in USA."

Since the oil filter is already mounted, addition looks easy- plus the T'Sat is only ~$25.00
Thats the point of running it though the radiator. The hot coolant will help warm the fluid.

You can order our transmission cooler and filter kit from us at All We'll Drive. I will be adding it to our website sometime this weekend

Tom
Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 AM

Registered SVX

alright !!
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill
Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 AM

Registered SVX

I read somewhere that the stock cooler acted as a restriction in the flow and shouldn't really be used anyway.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Nice work. This looks like the one I'll be doing
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 06-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
I read somewhere that the stock cooler acted as a restriction in the flow and shouldn't really be used anyway.
You can't believe every thing you read on the SVX net. There is nothing wrong with the cooler in the radiator. It is the same as every other manufacture uses.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:06 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
You can't believe every thing you read on the SVX net. There is nothing wrong with the cooler in the radiator. It is the same as every other manufacture uses.

Harvey.
Can of worms.

Therefore the many statements made by many within the SVX net over many years, have been wrong and should have been ignored. This because there is not a design fault associated with the original cooler intake, whereby it is prone to become easily obstructed by debris. What is more this design fault can not exist, as all manufacturers use this very same design without problems.

Interesting new fact, indicating that I for one along with many others, have evidently been badly mislead. On what basis of authority is this revised information now posted.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Maniac modifier

Link to those of you looking... http://allwelldrive.net/products_coo...t=DSCN2184.jpg

Tom