How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-12-2001, 07:10 AM
lightning_8669

Bearing grease

So yesterday I took the SVX back in for new rear wheel bearings. I had them originally replaced in January of this year. About 6 weeks after that I had the car back in because the right rear bearing was growling. About 8 weeks after that bearing was replaced the left rear bearing began growling and was re-replaced. Now BOTH are growling. Personally I think I have been more than patient with these guys but I had to ask them what they thought the problem might be. The service writer (actually a very helpful person) said they had no idea. It was at this point that I asked them if they were greasing the bearings before installation. The guy said that the bearings come "pre-greased". I said I didn't think so, that the slimy stuff on them in the package was just preservative. I asked him to please check for TSB's on the matter and he said he would.

I think I recall a discussion on this topic either here or on the Yahoo board. Can someone let me know for sure if these bearings require greasing prior to install or if they are pre-greased. Also, if there is documentation for the greasing operation I'd like to be able to get a copy. They will be installing the bearings this afternoon and it would be nice to have something to show them about the procedure.

All help appreciated.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:08 AM
Lowered SVX

you are right....

the grease that is on them is for shipping purposes only. it should be cleaned off and then the bearings should be regreased. i can not recall the brand that everyone recommends but if you search the yahoo archives you will see it there. also make sure they are not overtorqueing them. i can recall hearing something about that too. if all else fails ask eddycat or aredub.

Leo
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"