Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: Tire Chains on an SVX?

Well, the rain just started falling here in LA. Looks like the fun has begun. I'll pick up a set of chains once I get a bit north (nobody sells them around here), and have them on hand in case The Man wants me to prove it, but from the sounds of things I'll do just fine. Thanks for your input/stories, I've learned that the SVX is nothing like my previous 5 subees in most ways, but I can't imagine that they'd build a car that can't handle a blizzard better than most SUVs on the road. I'm really looking forward to getting to know it's dynamics in the slick.

Just so ya'll don't take me for a typical LA type though, I'll tell you that when I was back in Colorado living at 9000 feet I had a 45mi commute with my shift ending at 1-3am. At the time I was in my '87 XT Turbo GL-10 with full time 4WD and locking rear. Winter hit hard that year, and I was often driving home on unplowed canyon roads (Coal Creek Canyon for the locals) through 2-3 feet of snow. I was sideways more often than straight and the assurance of no oncoming traffic at that hour really helped hone my abilities on snow and ice. Those were the good old days. So just 'cause I'm currently displaced in the land of insufferable sun and heat, doesn't mean I don't love getting out there and kicking out the back end for some real slick Subaru fun.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Hopefully I won't be posting for any new body panels or looking for a new girlfriend next week.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

I love this car. It took me 3 days to find a road with snow on it, but she was great. The storm hit hard enough to close most of the south passes, but left Tahoe alone. At the top of Kit Carson pass I found a little Forrest Service road, and gave the car it's first taste of snow, and she handled like a dream. I'm sorry for ever doubting it. Did manage to scrape bottom twice, I've gotta get used to this low clearance.

This was also the maiden voyage of my new Cannon G10 digital camera, so I got to snap a few high quality shots of the car for the first time. It's dirty, but that's what you get for driving 500 miles to your shoot location.

Great camera, great car, and great company make for a great Thanksgiving.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:42 AM

Chains on an SVX is laughable! I have driven hundreds of miles on "closed" highways and also I have driven mine where everyone else has to camp on the freeway all night.

Gee, maybe it is because I pray a lot?

Bottom line, if you know what you are doing no chains necessary on a SVX. Just be real careful with what the other folks are doing, especially in places like Washington state.

Keith
Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Chains on an SVX is laughable!
Yes, it is!

If AWD is working normally, with good winter tires, I think the SVX is almost unstoppable on the snow.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 PM
AWD..... NOTHING COMES CLOSE

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSVXCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
I love this car. It took me 3 days to find a road with snow on it, but she was great. The storm hit hard enough to close most of the south passes, but left Tahoe alone. At the top of Kit Carson pass I found a little Forrest Service road, and gave the car it's first taste of snow, and she handled like a dream. I'm sorry for ever doubting it. Did manage to scrape bottom twice, I've gotta get used to this low clearance.

This was also the maiden voyage of my new Cannon G10 digital camera, so I got to snap a few high quality shots of the car for the first time. It's dirty, but that's what you get for driving 500 miles to your shoot location.

Great camera, great car, and great company make for a great Thanksgiving.
Very nice where you for the calender pics. In japan the chains where an accessory in one of the jdm brouchures.
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L #5045 Dark Teal
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon Gray (SOLD)
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Black Ruby (SOLD)
1969 Subaru 360 Deluxe Ivory White
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Teal Metallic (SOLD)
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Rally Blue Pearl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]