How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Should I repaint after side skirts

I am thinking of getting the cloude side skirts and the 2 piece front spoiler however I dont want to do an entire repaint.

Maybe I need a new repaint though since I have chips but I am hoping they can go away with professional touchup service.

Can anyone here tell me if theyve ever done a addon like side skirts without painting the entire car.

If so, did the results look seemless our could you tell the addon was painted seperately since the paints dont match.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: Should I repaint after side skirts

I believe solarsvx went through the same thing, he just repainted the side skirts, said it was good although it wasn't a perfect match. The problem you'll likely encounter is finding a shop that can color match 15 year old faded paint...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 PM

I also installed beautiful slotted rotors.

Then I had my calipers painted red just like solarsvx.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
I am thinking of getting the cloude side skirts and the 2 piece front spoiler however I dont want to do an entire repaint.

Maybe I need a new repaint though since I have chips but I am hoping they can go away with professional touchup service.

Can anyone here tell me if theyve ever done a addon like side skirts without painting the entire car.

If so, did the results look seemless our could you tell the addon was painted seperately since the paints dont match.
Anthony, FWIW this is my opinion.

Solar's car to me, to my eyes, is the prettiest on the network, particularly when it had the wheels you bought from him.

When he showed his professional pictures set over a year ago I asked politely why the skirts were not the same colour as the rest of the car. Some of the responses from people blew me out of the water. I was told I was nit-picking. The paint was "matched".

It's particularly difficult to match even new pearlescent paint. It is exceptionally difficult if not impossible to do a decent match if the original paint has weathered 10 or 15 years. As far as I am concerned Solar's car does NOT have matching paint, otherwise it could not be noticable in photographs and I would not have asked "what's the problem with the paint?"

As long as Solar is happy with the end result, that's fine, it's his motor. If I was a potential buyer coming to look at his car, and I saw the mis-matched paint, I would walk. Simple as that.

If your red paint is "solid", i.e. not metallic and not pearl, a really professional shop may be able to match it for you. However, their success rate is usually poor with red paint. [you notice the difference in tone under sodium monochromatic lighting] .

Whatever you are happy with. I would paint the car.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Plastics/fiberglass pieces always have a darker look to them than metal. So yea you'll see a difenance plus the paint on the car is YEARS old.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
It really boils down to how much sun your car has seen. Mine has seen little, so the paint was easily (dare I say flawlessly) matched during collision repair.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Joe, I just looked at a few pictures of solars svx and I do now see the color difference. It doesnt look good and thats too bad because that means I will get a complete paint job. Hope its not too expensive howeer I have seen the skirts and 2 piece front spoiler and cannot live without them now.

Thats okay because I will end up with one awesome looking car that will be gragaed and probably driven no more than 1000 miles per year.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 PM

Joe,
Don't blame it all on the paint, at least the painter's matching of it. A few years back, I did a classic car feature on a newly restored 1939 Mercedes 540K convertible. It was stunning. However, when I presented the owner with a print of one of the pictures, I had to have the driver's side door retouched (by airbrush, this was before Photoshop) because in the transparency, it was a different shade of green from the rest of the car. I found out from the owner that the door had been repainted after the rest of the car, because of some minor damage. To the eye, it looked like a flawless match. But the new paint reflected more, or less, UV than the rest of the car, so IN THE TRANSPARENCY, it came out a different color. The sensors in our digital cameras also react to UV and InfraRed differently from our eyes, so it's altogether possible that can happen with a digital shot.
Just a FYI.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri