Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-17-2008, 02:23 PM

Registered SVX
5 speed/4.11 auto swap questions

Hello everyone,

The torque converter went on my SVX, and I am considering either swapping a 5 speed or a 4.11 auto due to the fact that I assume that if I put in a new torque converter some other weak link will break. The trans has 110,000 on it and has not been rebuilt that I know of. (1992 SVX) I assume that I would need to keep my LSD rear diff for either swap, and just switch ring gears. I also understand that I need to get a different crossmember if I switch to a manual, however do I need the crossmember from the donor car if I switch to the other auto? Is the 4.11 auto out of say a newer outback more robust than the 4EAT in out SVX's? What transmissions would be the easiest to swap for each type of transmission, and what years are compatible?

Thanks for the help,
Joe
Old 09-18-2008, 05:08 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 5 speed/4.11 auto swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldss72 View Post
Hello everyone,

The torque converter went on my SVX, and I am considering either swapping a 5 speed or a 4.11 auto due to the fact that I assume that if I put in a new torque converter some other weak link will break. The trans has 110,000 on it and has not been rebuilt that I know of. (1992 SVX) I assume that I would need to keep my LSD rear diff for either swap, and just switch ring gears. I also understand that I need to get a different crossmember if I switch to a manual, however do I need the crossmember from the donor car if I switch to the other auto? Is the 4.11 auto out of say a newer outback more robust than the 4EAT in out SVX's? What transmissions would be the easiest to swap for each type of transmission, and what years are compatible?

Thanks for the help,
Joe
-

Joe,
There is a ton of info on both those swaps on here, so for more details do a search on it...
But basically for another 4EAT it will be a straight "plug and play" swap, but has to be a 90-98 Legacy/Impreza/Forester 4EAT, as the newer ones have different electonics...."some" will have a differnt style torque converor, so be sure to get the matching flexplate, as well as the rear diff (has to have 5 bolt side plates to swap ring and pinion with the SVX rear diff)

For the 5-speed swap, see my write up in my sig....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"

Last edited by huck369; 09-21-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:48 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 5 speed/4.11 auto swap questions

how did you know your TC went bad?