Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 AM

Help!! What is going on with my SVX?

Okay - so yesterday I was driving home from school and it shuddered forward violently a few times and then power was lost (as if it stalled or ran out of gas). I then re-started it with no problem and was right by a gas station, saw I was at a quarter, filled up, resumed home no problem, chalking it up to random occurence.

Fast forward to today - driving a little further, in 3rd, the car starts "bucking" wildly again, I slow and downshift, still happening in 2nd gear, then the power cuts. I restart and idle for a few minutes on the side of the road, put my warnings on, and drive cautiously in 1st - a few minutes later it starts happening again. I turn around to head home, forgetting my destination and stop in at the Active Green+Ross (Canadian service center) and tell them what's been happening. They look confused and say "try Eurotech about half an hour away".

I am heading to my parent's today (in my girlfriend's rental car luckily) so I don't have the time or want to risk driving that far, so I just parked at my place.

What is wrong with my SVX??

Thanks.

92 Graphite LS-L Touring (136k miles) #4143
5 speed, ACT clutch, Sparco R-Speed shortshifter, Ecutune v1, Stebro exhaust, PWR rad, 18" Motegi Racing FF15 wheels wrapped in Falken Azenis, Alpine 9833 MP3/CD with Alpine 3ways in front, MSW G-lateral drop springs, ss braided brake lines, d/s rotors, 9005 headlight mod, Celcius mod

92 Ebony LS-L Touring (125k miles) #7328
smallcar shift kit, Panasonic MP3/CD, Remote starter with security
For Sale: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...370#post501370

92 Claret LS-L Touring (Sold - 1998)
The first car I ever drove.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I think your MAF sensor has either broken solders or is dirty/broken. I would definitely start there. That's how my Legacy acted when the MAF was shot.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 02-09-2008, 03:38 AM

Probably...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
I think your MAF sensor has either broken solders or is dirty/broken. I would definitely start there. That's how my Legacy acted when the MAF was shot.
that is how my svx did when the MAF was shot
Only difference....no girlfriend's rental car
Old 02-09-2008, 06:13 AM

read the codes!

That's how mine acted when the cam position sensor was shot. Read the codes. If it's the cam position sensor, you should have a code stored on the ECU.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:53 PM

Clean the MAF.. I just did mine yesterday. Mine was doing the same thing. I have a thread on it like 5 down from this one

2000 Mustang GT
NOT stock 450 rwhp
Old 02-09-2008, 05:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
Mine was acting the same way for 2 months. I had trouble codes 23 and 24. I cleaned the MAF, it worked for 4 days. I thought it was fixed and then the problem came back and got even worse. I have decided to replace the MAF sensor with a re-manufactured one ($304.00 total with tax) last Friday. It seemed to have resolved all the problems. Now...my baby is back to normal. It's been working great.

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 02-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Okay - I pulled the MAF from my temporary parts/ for sale black beauty at home and am bringing it with me back to school to clean and install in my 5 speed, since it was working fine as far as I know, and if it came down to soldering the one in the 5 speed, I'm just not good at that.

So - I will read the codes and clean and put this MAF in and see how she runs. I got GUNK Brake Cleaner (non-residual) so hopefully that will do the trick if it is the MAF that is acting up.

92 Graphite LS-L Touring (136k miles) #4143
5 speed, ACT clutch, Sparco R-Speed shortshifter, Ecutune v1, Stebro exhaust, PWR rad, 18" Motegi Racing FF15 wheels wrapped in Falken Azenis, Alpine 9833 MP3/CD with Alpine 3ways in front, MSW G-lateral drop springs, ss braided brake lines, d/s rotors, 9005 headlight mod, Celcius mod

92 Ebony LS-L Touring (125k miles) #7328
smallcar shift kit, Panasonic MP3/CD, Remote starter with security
For Sale: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...370#post501370

92 Claret LS-L Touring (Sold - 1998)
The first car I ever drove.