Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
questions on replacing timing belt

I've managed to get the timing belt off and am reading that it is necessary to compress the belt tension adjuster. I am at a bit of a loss of the importance of this, because looking at the engine the belt tension adjuster seems to work independently, having no affect on anything other than the belt tensioner. (I know i am wrong, i just don't understand it)

To get the belt off i simply took off the idler pulley to the left of the crank sprocket (if looking directly at the engine). When i removed that the belt just came off.

I understand the need to align the crank sprocket and the cam sprockets so that timing is all set. I am just confused about how the belt tensioner and idler pulley (to the right of the crank sprocket) fit into the whole scheme of things.

I appreciate any words of wisdom, thanks Chris
Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
You have to remove the 2 bolts holding the hydraulic tensioner to the block, And then compress the tensioner in a vise and insert a small allen wrench through the 2 holes in the body of the tensioner and the hole in the plunger to hold the plunger in while you reinstall it on the block. Once the belt is on and lined up where you need it, You simply pull out the allen wrench which releases the plunger of the tensioner and places tension on the timing belt by pressing outwards on the idler pulley that the plunger contacts. Hope this helps some. You can also look in the how to section I believe. Good luck.