SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Headgasket replacement

Soo... I'm pretty sure a headgasket has blown. I'm not sure which side, and I'm not sure that I should only replace one at a time anyway. I Hate letting mechanics work on my car; however I REALLY don't have a lot of time these days, especially as I have my other project car that I'm close to buttoning up. I'm undecided as to whether I'm going to let the shop do the work or take my car back and do it myself.

I guess what it comes down to is 3 questions: Who has replaced the headgaskets by themselves? I would like to know if I need any special tools, anything out of the ordinary that your average mechanically inclined person wouldn't have. How much time did it take you, and do you have any instructions not found in your typical repair manual.

How much harder is it to lift the motor out of the car and replace them that way versus doing them with the motor in the car?

How hard/expensive would swapping in a junkyard motor (OBDII) be? I could keep the old one for parts/sensors and such, and maybe sell off the block/crank and such.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
You might want to make sure you actually DO have a blown head gasket before you decide to do it. Go to Autozone and rent a Block Tester... it's a little device that you put on the open radiator, warm the engine up and watch the color of the fluid in the device (make sure you get the fluid!!! Doh!). That'll tell you if there's exhaust fumes in the coolant which is a good sign of head gasket problems.

I worried about this after storing my car for a while so I did a lot of research. Quite simply; it's almost impossible to do head gaskets with the engine "in-situ" simply because there's very little clearance to work on each side of the block. It can be done... hell, there are pictures here on the site from someone who did it (sorry limited time or I'd do a search myself)... and I've myself pulled the heads off an engine block that's still in the car... but all of the top half accessories and stuff were also long gone so it was a little easier to find clearance. Ideally, you'd want to remove the engine from the car... especially as you stressed you don't have much time.

Getting a junk yard engine... well you won't really know if its head gaskets are any good until you get the engine in and running... then if you find it has bad head gaskets too you'll be in a lot of pain. One option I considered was buying a block and doing a complete rebuild; pistons and all (maybe custom) to have a pristine engine, then just trade out blocks between the cars and keep (or rebuild) the old one. I scrapped that idea when I realized (a) I didn't have a head gasket problem (thank you, block tester!) and (b) I just simply don't have room in my garage to store an engine while I work on it!

Just remember; anything can be done, but whether or not you personally can do it depends on how comfortable you are with mechanical stuff and how much time you can actually dedicate to it. A head gasket job is not something to be rushed.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:36 PM

That was me that posted pictures of doing the HG's in-car on my '92 pearl. I didn't have a hoist at the time and didn't want to rent one. I jacked the engine up from underneath about 6" which made it easier. It can be done, but it took a long time. Still, I was getting quotes of $2000 or more for a mechanic to do it, that is, from mechanics that would even work on it-- some wouldn't even touch it. The alternative was to spend about $300 for a Subaru full gasket set, about $100 for solvent-tanking and surfacing the head mating surfaces (NOT a full valve job), and doing the labor myself. I worked slowly in an unheated garage in the dead of winter and it took about two weeks a few hours at a time. The work's not especially difficult, there's just a LOT of it, and attention to detail is important. Apparently, I was successful-- I drove my '92 for another year without problems before selling it recently.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Take the motor out.

Buy an engine seal kit

Send the heads out to be milled within spec

Put it all back together according to the service manuals

Tom
Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
In my case it was a little more obvious as the radiator overflow tank started filling with black sludge. After draining the radiator I also noticed the same black sludge in the "silver silicone" rad hoses.