Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2002, 07:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
My SVX nightmares...

I had a manufacturer rebuilt tranny installed on my SVX 3 months ago by the dealer for $2700. It was working fine, then a loud droaning noise came up...I found out it was the right rear wheel bearing, so I bought the parts needed from 1stsubaruparts.com (a lot less than the dealer's price) and had a mechanic install it. I picked up the car and paid $150 and still the noise was there. After a week I took it to the dealer to check that noise and was told it was the bearing. So I returned to the shop where I had it installed...guess what? The shop wasn't there anymore, out of business! I searched for a mechanic in my area who worked on SVX cars. It's hard to find, like finding a needle in a haystack. I finally found one...15 miles away from me, he also specializes in Lexus cars. He checked my car and told me that the bearing was NOT replaced at all. He showed me the old one after he fixed my car for $250, parts included and with 1 year warranty. He did a great job and I feel blessed to find a mechanic who knows my car very well.

Just when I thought I had everything taken care of and should have peace of mind, my tranny went out again on me. I was driving fine until one day, I made a left turn and then accelerated...but darn! My car won't go beyond 15 miles an hour. It made a loud accelerating noise when I hit the gas, so I was crawling on my way home in my gorgeous looking SVX. I called the Subie dealer and they told me to drive the car to their shop. I told them, "are you kidding me? you're 25 miles away from me!...you want me to drive my car at 15 mph???" I told them they have to come and tow my car, it's still under warranty. They pulled it out from my garage last Wednesday and they said the tranny will be in Friday. So, here I am SVXless again... what could happen next??? Unfortunately, I am in love with this car, I won't give it up! (yet)

I'd like to go to the meet in July as part of my birthday present to myself but I'm afraid something else could go wrong with my car on my way there or coming back.

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".

Last edited by vzSvx; 07-04-2002 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:39 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: My SVX nightmares...

Quote:
Originally posted by vzSvx
I had a manufacturer rebuilt tranny installed on my SVX 3 months ago by the dealer for $2700. It was working fine, then a loud droaning noise came up...I found out it was the right rear wheel bearing, so I bought the parts needed from 1stsubaruparts.com (a lot less than the dealer's price) and had a mechanic install it. I picked up the car and paid $150 and still the noise was there. After a week I took it to the dealer to check that noise and was told it was the bearing. So I returned to the shop where I had it installed...guess what? The shop wasn't there anymore, out of business! I searched for a mechanic in my area who worked on SVX cars. It's hard to find, like finding a needle in a haystack. I finally found one...15 miles away from me, he also specializes in Lexus cars. He checked my car and told me that the bearing was NOT replaced at all. He showed me the old one after he fixed my car for $250, parts included and with 1 year warranty. He did a great job and I feel blessed to find a mechanic who knows my car very well.

Just when I thought I had everything taken care of and should have peace of mind, my tranny went out again on me. I was driving fine until one day, I made a left turn and then accelerated...but darn! My car won't go beyond 15 miles an hour. It made a loud accelerating noise when I hit the gas, so I was crawling on my way home in my gorgeous looking SVX. I called the Subie dealer and they told me to drive the car to their shop. I told them, "are you kidding me? you're 25 miles away from me!...you want me to drive my car at 15 mph???" I told them they have to come and tow my car, it's still under warranty. They pulled it out from my garage last Wednesday and they said the tranny will be in Friday. So, here I am SVXless again... what could happen next??? Unfortunately, I am in love with this car, I won't give it up! (yet)

I'd like to go to the meet in July as part of my birthday present to myself but I'm afraid something else could go wrong with my car on my way there or coming back.
Viv,

Sorry to hear about all those mishaps. If you are interested in going to the meet, go in a convoy that we are setting up. Reason behind it is that if anything does go wrong, there is help and a ton of it. I was at the dealership yesterday. Those guys were real busy. I did see a black one but that was in the early morning.

Hope everything goes well. for more of the convoy info. email me at lwin@iit.edu

lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-05-2002, 07:01 AM
Is it Summer yet?

Viv, sorry to hear about your problems.
Why don't you come up to the Cookout on the 13th if you get your SVX back in time (or even if you don't). I imagine there will be a lot of talk about the 10th Anniv Meet.
Go to the Midwest forum for details.
Hope to see you there.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 07-05-2002, 12:09 PM

Thanks guys...I hope my SVX will get fixed today. I just called the dealer's and they told me that they just got the new rebuilt transmission in today to replace the first one they installed that was defective. They're working on it right now, and hopefully will be done this afternoon or maybe tomorrow.

That convoy idea sounds great, but I can't decide whether to stay there in a hotel or drive back to Chicago on each of those days. Which hotel/inn is closest to the location? Lwin, I'll let you know pretty soon if I am confident enough to drive my car and join you guys.

Colin, I'd love to come to the cook out, but I have to attend a wedding on the 13th. Thanks for the invitation, I'll try next time. Hopefully, I'll see you guys in the Indiana meet if I could make it (that is, if my car will cooperate and won't come up with any other excuses, she seems to know that I have plans to take her to the meet).

Hope you all had a happy and safe 4th of July.

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 07-05-2002, 12:19 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
So, was it your baby that I saw a couple of days ago? I know I saw a black one 2 days ago at the dealership.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-05-2002, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
So, was it your baby that I saw a couple of days ago? I know I saw a black one 2 days ago at the dealership.

Lwin
My baby is a Claret with Black top and spoiler. It also has an SVX reflective vinyl logo on each side at the bottom portion near the rear wheels. They told me to call at 4pm today. Hopefully, I could pick her up and enjoy this weekend with her.

Last edited by vzSvx; 07-05-2002 at 06:34 PM.