SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2002, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

i can fill it for under $20, just fill it up 1/2 between a 1/4 and empty :-p
You're killing me, stop reminding me how cheep your gas/petrol is !! 53 ltrs/14us gall Shell Optimax at UK prices £40/$55usd.........
Old 06-20-2002, 06:06 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Hill

You're killing me, stop reminding me how cheep your gas/petrol is !! 53 ltrs/14us gall Shell Optimax at UK prices £40/$55usd.........
eekgads! I'd have to get a 2nd job to aford that last time i got gas (93) it was $1.64 a gal. which is about mid level, it usually start out in summer around $1.35 and fluxtuates to around $1.95 then goes somewhere in the middle. at least that's how it was last year.

*prays for cheep gas this year*
Old 06-20-2002, 07:11 AM

LPG ????

Speaking of "Gas"....... Anyone converted an SVX to propane/LPG ?? Canadian correspondants are favourite I guess, least in the areas of Canada I've been in anyway (BC/Alberta oil patch).

Just a thought.........

Phil.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:16 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: LPG ????

Quote:
Speaking of "Gas"....... Anyone converted an SVX to propane/LPG ?? Canadian correspondants are favourite I guess, least in the areas of Canada I've been in anyway (BC/Alberta oil patch).

Just a thought.........

Phil.
i wouldn't think that the H-6 would be a good canidate for the conversion...from what I've seen they usually run propane in a small 4 cyl. I'm not too sure how econmical it would be in our car. Cleaner yes, run out of fuel & hope there's a taco bell around
Old 06-20-2002, 07:58 AM

Taco Hell ??

Quote:
& hope there's a taco bell around
Isn't that a mutally exclusive ??

A somewhat nieve buddy of mine thought TacoBell was a "made-up" fast food joint for the film "the fifth element". Oh, how I wish it were true............
Old 06-20-2002, 08:05 AM

Re: Re: LPG ????

Quote:

i wouldn't think that the H-6 would be a good canidate for the conversion
Why ?? It's fuel and H-6 is an engine. If my Canadian buddies can run a stock 440 Magnum in a chev 1500 Dually on LPG why not a SVX ??

Quote:
I'm not too sure how econmical it would be in our car.
Again, on the Chev 1500, 17mpg (us) on petrol, 16,pg(us) on propane. I guess it depends on the conversion.

Any info would be apreciated.

Phil.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:28 AM
EverclearAtMSU

hmm, well if it works that well, I dont see why not then. I just figured big engine might not work too well with it. If your really that concerned with mpg, y not do a hybrid conversion. My friend purchased that little toyota one about 7 months back, so far he's only had to put $70 in it. and he drives everywhere. But in my mind that kinda takes away from the svx. would switching to gas give up any performance?

while were talking about alternative fules, whatever happened to the idea of running a car on alcohol? I heard a little bit about it a while ago, but haven't heard or seen anything since
Old 06-20-2002, 08:42 AM

alternative fuels........

Quote:
while were talking about alternative fules, whatever happened to the idea of running a car on alcohol? I heard a little bit about it a while ago, but haven't heard or seen anything since
a million Mexican taxi drivers cannot be wrong !!!!

Anyway, where do I buy Dylithium crystals for this warp engine I've just invented.............
Old 06-20-2002, 08:46 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: alternative fuels........

Quote:

a million Mexican taxi drivers cannot be wrong !!!!

Anyway, where do I buy Dylithium crystals for this warp engine I've just invented.............
i just traded all mine for some kryptonite, super man cant get me now
Old 06-22-2002, 08:54 AM
red95svx

alternative fuels

Dylithium crystals? Sounds cheaper than the plutonium I use.........mabe I should convert
Old 06-29-2002, 04:31 PM
calmone

the other day in the syndiacted "goss's garage" column he says water is heavier than gas and will be at the bottom of the tank if present, and although gas is drawn from the bottom, not from the absolute bottom so there is very little chance water gets into the mixture. he says most problems people say may be caused by a water/gas mixture are not caused by that. personally i have to agree, as in all the tanks of gas in numerous cars i just don't believe there has ever been such a problem. not to say it's a gas to run out on the expressway at night.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:58 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by calmone
the other day in the syndiacted "goss's garage" column he says water is heavier than gas and will be at the bottom of the tank if present, and although gas is drawn from the bottom, not from the absolute bottom so there is very little chance water gets into the mixture. he says most problems people say may be caused by a water/gas mixture are not caused by that. personally i have to agree, as in all the tanks of gas in numerous cars i just don't believe there has ever been such a problem. not to say it's a gas to run out on the expressway at night.
I wonder how long it's been since he's actually worked on a car. Cars with electronic fuel injection generally have their pumps mounted inside the fuel tank, and most, not all but most, are spring-loaded as to make and hold contact with the bottom of the tank. The injection wouldn't work well if the pump started sucking and pushing air through the system. For many, many years cars have had 'sock' type strainers mounted on their fuel pick up tubes, usually of a thread count high enough to allow fuel but not water to pass through them.

Most cars that I replace in-tank pumps on have no visible water or sediment in their tank. However the number one cause of failure, according to the pump manufacturers, is contamination. Particles of dirt and moisture, small enough to pass through the strainer, collect inside the pump eventually and inevitably do it in.

I wonder if he's ever contemplated why there are micro-screens inside of fuel injectors? Woven mesh screens of 2-10 microns (size depending on OEM and application) are placed in the injector to keep it from clogging, hanging open and/or prematurely wearing out, due to abrasive wear. If the pump isn't sucking up debris from the bottom of the tank, pushing it through a rather large fuel filter and swirling it around in the system, why bother putting screens in the injectors?

Here's something that will light your fire in the future: OEM pump suppliers are having such a hard time with warranties due to contamination that they're trying to talk auto manufacturers into making the fuel tank and pump an integral part. That's the only way they can be reasonably assured that the tank was clean when the new pump was installed. Cost to you? Look in the $1000/seat section of the stadium....

He may be right when he states that a water/gas mixture is blamed for more problems than it really causes, but to tell you the truth, I don't hear that complaint as much today as I did twenty-thirty years ago. Taken as a whole, I wonder when that column was actually written....
Old 06-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beav
[B]

Here's something that will light your fire in the future: OEM pump suppliers are having such a hard time with warranties due to contamination that they're trying to talk auto manufacturers into making the fuel tank and pump an integral part. That's the only way they can be reasonably assured that the tank was clean when the new pump was installed. Cost to you? Look in the $1000/seat section of the stadium....

Beav - What's the advantage to an in-tank fuel pump, anyway? It's hard to get to, gets scuzzy, etc. Seems like engineering's just having a little fun with the consumer. Mount that sucker on the firewall for easy replacement, or am I missing some logic somewhere?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-30-2002, 07:38 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'm with you on this one Ron, you should see the things that have to be done on some cars to remove the tank.

The only reasons I've seen is for heat dissapation and noise abatement. Plus, pumps push better than suck so submerging them allows them to function better. Maybe they also figure that while the tank and pump are removed, someone may even look inside for rust, water and debris....