How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 PM

Registered SVX
Arrow Excessive water coming out exhaust

I have a 96 Lsi with only 95k miles. Its been sitting for the past year and a half in my garage. I start about once a month sometimes twice month, and let reach normal operating temperature. Just recently, last two days, my friend and I noticed an unusual amount of water coming out of tail pipe about five minutes after I start the car. Most of it coming from the left side tail pipe, and the water is rusty too. I would say close to a half gallon of water came out yesterday, and slighty less today. We tasted it, and there is no antifreeze in it, just water. What could be the cause of this. This never happened all other times I started the car, until yesterday and today. Could the head gasket be going? There was so taste of antifreeze though, what gives. We also replaced both oxygen sensors yesterday, dont know if that is related in anyway. Like I said, the car has been sitting for about 18 months, and only started once or twice a month. Thanks for the insight.

Dan

96 Lsi 95k miles
Old 04-07-2007, 08:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Further Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97
I have a 96 Lsi with only 95k miles. Its been sitting for the past year and a half in my garage. I start about once a month sometimes twice month, and let reach normal operating temperature. Just recently, last two days, my friend and I noticed an unusual amount of water coming out of tail pipe about five minutes after I start the car. Most of it coming from the left side tail pipe, and the water is rusty too. I would say close to a half gallon of water came out yesterday, and slighty less today. We tasted it, and there is no antifreeze in it, just water. What could be the cause of this. This never happened all other times I started the car, until yesterday and today. Could the head gasket be going? There was so taste of antifreeze though, what gives. We also replaced both oxygen sensors yesterday, dont know if that is related in anyway. Like I said, the car has been sitting for about 18 months, and only started once or twice a month. Thanks for the insight.

Dan

96 Lsi 95k miles
If it's running well, and there is no water in the Oil, then I would say it's probably condensation that builds up during this time of year in the Muffler.
Last point in the track before exiting.
Especially since you say it's coming out rusty. I would expect there is a fair amount of water building in there, and sitting. Then, when there is enough pressure, and heat, it moves back out again, taking the rust with it.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles

Last edited by ShiuludeSVX; 04-07-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Registered SVX
Arrow There is no water in my oil

Thanks for the insight. No there is no water in the oil. Matter of fact the oil is very clean with no miles on it. Amsoil synthetic. Car runs very well, but does have some oil leaks. I plan on doing a complete tune -up very soon. I have over $300 worth of parts on order from 1stsubaruparts.com water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, fuel filter, and all seals.

Dan

96 Lsi
Old 04-07-2007, 09:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97
Thanks for the insight. No there is no water in the oil. Matter of fact the oil is very clean with no miles on it. Amsoil synthetic. Car runs very well, but does have some oil leaks. I plan on doing a complete tune -up very soon. I have over $300 worth of parts on order from 1stsubaruparts.com water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, fuel filter, and all seals.

Dan

96 Lsi
Sounds like you and I are in for the same type tortures soon.
I'm parking for the summer, so I can take my time doing heavy maint.
Leaks, Bushings, Struts, Drain everything, T. Belt, Covers ...on on on.
Time takes it's toll.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 04-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
The car pobably doesn't get up to temp. If it is run down the road for a while and some miles put on it, it would work the water out of the exhaust. I think it needs to be driven and warmed up. If it is not, the water will stay in the system and rust. The best thing for it is to drive for a while and that should help it.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19

Last edited by ensteele; 04-08-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

Running an engine for short periods even if upto temp on the guage is 1 of the worst things you can do if its over a long period of time.

Your not actually doing anything but warming up the oil and water, the carbon deposits will not be blown out with the exhaust gasses from the chambers,valves, manifold, the plugs will start to get a build up. Un-burnt fuel will make its way into your oil through the rings & not all the oil in the sump will cycle through the engine in tick over anyway.
Anything that does leave the engine will just sit in the cats/exhaust, hense a large part of gasses leaving are as steam which as you have found are sitting in your system, basically corroding it from the inside out, it will damage o2 sensors also.

Best way it turn the engine over a few times with the coils disconnected to keep the oil coating the engine, or better still take it for a 5mile or more drive instead if you can.

Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Headed to Texas...

What DArren and Earl said

I was wondering is there some issue with the car that prevents you from taking it out and driving it? If not, get it out and drive it for at least 30 minutes at least once a month. Your engine will thank you.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 04-08-2007, 10:44 AM

Registered SVX
Arrow Water in exhaust

Thanks for the info guys. I cant drive the car at the moment. First of all it is not even registered. As you recall, I bought it in October of 2005 on ebay, and didnt get the clear title until June of 2006. Last year was a waste, as I wasnt able to get anywork done on it, for many reasons, no money to buy parts, etc. Right now, I have two donuts on the front, as the two front tires dont hold air anymore, and the backs are dry rotting and worn. We are in the process of replacing all the rotors, calipers, pads, brake lines, and have finished the rear, and did the rear bearings as well. Once I torque the axle nut to 150 ft/lbs. I may drive her around the block a few times, where there is no traffic. I also replaced both oxygen sensors Friday night. The sensors had a lot of carbon build up on them. Looked Bosch original. While they were out, I started the car up and reved a few times, and it blew quite a bit of carbon out the sensor holes. Put antiseize on the threads and in they went. I should be getting her on the road for good in about a month for sure. Thanks for all posts.

Dan

96 Lsi 95k miles
94 Legacy Turbo Wagon 156k miles
93 Legacy Turbo Sedan 109k miles
Old 04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
LOL... bizarre or what???

I have a 1996 LSi as well... and I was actually logging on tonight to report the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!

My car's been sitting for about a year or more as well... and after I decided not to part with it (yet?) I started working on fixing her up. I also noted an excessive amount of water coming out of the exhaust and it was also worrying me (didn't really want to do head gaskets or replace the engine!!!)

Anyway, after two days of working on her, I got testing tools to test the cooling system. Nothing... no signs of head gasket failure at all. System's holding pressure, not losing any coolant... oil looks good (but needs changed)... just that damned water.

Still, in my case it'll also be a couple of weeks before I drive her. Dropped her in for a wheel bearing replacement yesterday and they hit a snag (broke a replacement seal while trying to install it)... so they've kept the car for a few days until they can get a new one.

BTW, does the water out of your exhaust smell of anything? Rusty? Just curious... I noted a slight smell that both myself and my wife referred to as "burned coffee" (independently). No, don't ask how I know what that smells like
Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 PM

Registered SVX
Arrow No smell that I can tell

That is Bizarre. Two 96's with the same water in exhaus issues. I just stuck my finger in the puddle and tasted it for antifreeze. Thank goodness it was just water. I gotta her out on the road soon and blow her out. Thanks for story.

Dan
Old 04-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Registered SVX
Yeah... I told my wife that the day I got her legal, I was going for a long drive. She just arched her eyebrows and said nothing...

She knows me so well

Yeah, it is bizarre that two 96's are having the same problem. I held a paper towel in front of the exhaust tip and waited until it got REALLY sodden... checked for green tint (none) and tasted a little... a little acrid, but nope... no antifreeze.

Of course, it's just ironic that both of our 96's were stored at about the same time, and underwent the same treatment (starting every month). Hell, I didn't really realize it might be a problem!

Let's both keep everyone up-to-date... maybe someone else will see a similar problem.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:24 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

Look at it the same as an empty house in winter, you go in once a week and heat the house until its nice and warm, turn off the heating lock the doors off you go.......

The house cools you get damp and condensation back on the windows etc...
Week later you go in same process, house heats up, condensation goes.....
Well actually no its still in the house...
If you open the doors and windows and heat the house up your actually letting the damp air out.

All you are doing is heating up the oil & water in the engine, the water that is in all petrol is being heated to steam and then into the exhuast system which after a short period of time will be full of water that will trap the steam cooling it quickly to a liquid that will then sit in the cats and pipes because there is not enough heat to return it to steam or pressure to force it out the rear pipe..... the cycle continues.

Its not a problem with the cars at all, its the just the way they have been operated, it will happen with any car.

If you feel the need to turn the engine, disable the ignition (possiby fuel pump/supply) and turn it over on the starter for 10 second bursts 2 or 3 times, it will keep enough oil on the parts if thats your worry. Keep your battery charged with a charger instead of running the car.

Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:47 PM

Registered SVX
Darren, thanks for the info! That really helps.

Yeah, in hindsight you're right... I know you are. It's just someone once told me that if you were going to store the car... you know the rest... yadda yadda.

Anyway, like I said, what you said makes sense. It sorta sucks that I might have damaged my O2 sensors (not throwing any codes for O2 sensors yet, though) or my cats (low point in my custom exhaust system), but either way those repairs are a hell of a lot cheaper than a head gasket repair on an SVX.

I didn't feel like buying a new motor, either

Thanks!