IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus
Thanks I think I'l try both of these things. If the wires are exposed can I wrap them in eletrical tape to stop them from contacting?
Yeah, that'll work. Pay close attention to were the wires bend going into the plug.

Last edited by Hocrest; 04-04-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Homo Sapien Superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Yeah, that'll work. Pay close attention to were the wires bend going into the plug.
Well...while looking at the wires to see if any were exposed I noticed the plug that goes into the alternator was a bit loose. It didn't seem to want to be seated any more firmly then it was. I persisted though and finally it went in another half inch and clicked in! When I turned on the car I instantly noticed a difference and as an added bonus all the weird warning lights went away. I took it out and drove it for a few miles and stopped and turned it off and then drove it back and the lights never came back on (normal warning lights were working fine though).

So I guess that was what was causing the lights to come on intermitently. Which I find very strange as a certified mechanic looked at my aternator before I changed it and after I changed it and didn't notice this. If I recall correctly its just about always been like this. So does that mean I've been driving on a half connected alternator for 2 years?

In addition the engine seems to be running a bit differently. It might be somewhat rougher on startup. Power seems and aceleration also seem to be better too. When I first clicked that plug in and started up the car it was driving very oddly. Maybe the computer adjusting?

Any thoughts? Have I made the problem worse?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Sounds like you're on the right track. Doubt you've made it any worse. You may want to clear the computer memory by disconnecting the batt for 15-30 min. Reconnect and start the car as normal (not touching the accelerator) and let it idle until warm on the gauge, and shut off. Now the engine should be started and test driven. This will also clear the fault code memory, so if you're storing something in there have it read first.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 04-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Homo Sapien Superior

update

So I unhooked the battery and tried to clear the computer. Hard to tell if it worked.

What has me worried now though is how rough the car is running since I got that alternator plug properly seated. I swear it was running better beofre I did that, but it doesn't make any sense to me how it could have been. More distressing as I went in to work today the check engine light came on as I rounded a turn to enter the highway. This is the first time the check engine light has ever come on. It went off quickly after I left the turn and got up to speed, but these things have a habit of becoming a recurring nightmare and prelude to disastor. Any idea what is going on? Should I unseat the alternator plug?

(If you need any clarification on the situation let me know, I think the whole story is a bit spread about by now)
Old 04-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus
So I unhooked the battery and tried to clear the computer. Hard to tell if it worked.

What has me worried now though is how rough the car is running since I got that alternator plug properly seated. I swear it was running better beofre I did that, but it doesn't make any sense to me how it could have been. More distressing as I went in to work today the check engine light came on as I rounded a turn to enter the highway. This is the first time the check engine light has ever come on. It went off quickly after I left the turn and got up to speed, but these things have a habit of becoming a recurring nightmare and prelude to disastor. Any idea what is going on? Should I unseat the alternator plug?

(If you need any clarification on the situation let me know, I think the whole story is a bit spread about by now)

check the code i bet you will pull a knock sensor one
need work done? Have tools will travel