Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-08-2006, 10:04 AM

Possible exhaust leak, what are the consequences?

So last night as I left work around 11:00, I noticed that despite the fact that I had just driven my SVX a few hours earlier, it sounded way too loud all of a sudden. It sounded like it was much more powerful then it had been before (not a bad sound really, but wrong nonetheless) It also felt like I was in the wrong gear the whole way home, but I felt all 4 gears shifting, and then did it manually too, and it is not the transmission. Also, at idle, I can hear a kind of raspy exhaust noise, almost like from a motorcycle exhaust, and it is coming from directly under the drivers seat. I cant check it out thoroughly right now, because its about 30 degrees outside, and my garage is full of crap. Once I get everything cleared out from in there, I will jack it up, and visually inspect the undercarriage. Everything else is normal. So im pretty sure this is an exhaust leak. My questions are, 1: What are the ramifications of driving around with a leaky exhaust? Will it hurt anything else if I dont get it fixed right away? 2: How difficult and expensive is an exhaust leak to fix usually?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:29 AM

After getting it jacked up alittle bit, I have found that the sound is coming from where the front Y pipe meets underneath the car, directly under the center console, underneath the driver.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
There's a lead donut there, I think you'll have to get it from Subaru though. You need to localize where it is leaking? Where the pipes "Y" into the the cat? Or where the cat connects to the mid-pipe?

There are different donuts used on either side of the cat. It's probably a good idea to get a new set of spring bolts for anything you're taking apart. Around here they are generally rusted solid and need to get cut off
Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 PM

The leak is where the pipes Y into the cat. I can see the gaskets under there, and they seem deteriorated, and when I touched them, some pieces flaked off. So I geuss this is probably my problem.

The diagram for the parts I will need is here:
http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=440-A

The gaskets look like part #8
The springs that you mentioned look like part #16

So I will need 2 donut gaskets, and it looks like 4 springs. How hard will this be to take apart and do myself? And are there any other parts I should get?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yeah, right in front of the center cat is a common location for an exhaust leak. Unfortunately it's not the gaskets that are the problem but the flanges deteriorate and split open on the top side of the pipe.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

#15 is the bolt that you may need to cut and #17 is the nut. Get underneath and check the condition, you may be able to re-use them all, or re-use the spring??

But if you need to get new, you will need 4 sets.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
I have found that the sound is coming from where the front Y pipe meets underneath the car, directly under the center console, underneath the driver.
That's an area frequently prone to failure. The flanges and gaskets on my third cat rusted away, creating a leak where the Y-pipe meets the cat.

I originally had my exhaust shop cut out the area on both sides of the flanges where they connect and weld in two small pieces of pipe. I finally pulled the third cat and replaced it with a Magnaflow hi-flow cat, dual inlet/single outlet.

The converter for the 92 SVX (Magnaflow 94007) can be found here:
http://www.performancepeddler.com/SC...el=SVX&sCtrl=Y

44022PA021 Gasket: connecting Y-pipe to converter. About 20.00 each (need 2)
44022PA031 Gasket: connecting rear of converter to rest of exhaust. About $21.00
44059AA010 Bolt: connects converter to Y-pipe. (I believe you need 6) $3.00 each.
44028PA000 Spring: Used with above bolts. Another 6 at $8.50 each.

Cheaper to get another converter and have it welded in.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 12-08-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Yeah, right in front of the center cat is a common location for an exhaust leak. Unfortunately it's not the gaskets that are the problem but the flanges deteriorate and split open on the top side of the pipe.

So are you saying that the donuts arent the problem, and there is something else I will need to order?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
So are you saying that the donuts arent the problem, and there is something else I will need to order?
Yeah, basically what John said. The flanges don't last as long as the rest of that pipe.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:38 PM

Here is my shopping list right now. These are the prices after subaruparts.com's employee pricing thing:

Springs 44028PA000 (6 @ 5.94)= $35.64
Front gaskets 44022PA021 (2 @ $13.68)= $27.36
Rear Gasket 44022PA031= $14.48
Nuts 902350004 (6 @ $.47)= $2.82
Bolts 44059AA010 (6 @ $1.99)= $11.94
Total (with shipping)= $103.31

and I can do all of the work myself (hopefully, as long as I dont have to start cutting stuff)

I want to get this done and ordered, so if there are any other parts I may need, someone chime in and let me know.

Also, no one has mentioend yet if driving for a few days with the leaky exhaust will hurt anything. I cant imagine that it will, but I dont really know
Old 12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I would check the condition of the flange before I bought the parts. If the flanges are gone, the new parts are useless.

An exhaust shop should be able to cut out the flange and weld in two small lengths of pipe, connecting the exhaust pipes directly to the converter, for less than the cost of the parts.

On the 92, you shouldn't have any problems. The O2 sensors are far enough in front of the leak that your CE light shouldn't come on. That could give you decreased gas mileage.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-08-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
I would check the condition of the flange before I bought the parts. If the flanges are gone, the new parts are useless.

An exhaust shop should be able to cut out the flange and weld in two small lengths of pipe, connecting the exhaust pipes directly to the converter, for less than the cost of the parts.

On the 92, you shouldn't have any problems. The O2 sensors are far enough in front of the leak that your CE light shouldn't come on. That could give you decreased gas mileage.
So it seems that whether or not the flanges are busted, I might as well just get the shop to weld in the pipes, that seems to be if not the cheapest, then still relatively cheap. Then I wont have to worry about gasket deterioration or anything like that anymore. Ill take it in tommorrow and have a shop do it. In the mean time, I sound like im driving around some riced out Honda civic. it sucks.

Last edited by dwd1985; 12-08-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:11 PM

Well I took it down to the shop today, had them weld in 2 pieces of piping in front of the cat, and a flexible pipe on the back of it. Total cost was about $190. I figured it was worth it, instead of ordering $130 in parts, and then doing it myself, Id rather just pay the extra $60 and get it done, and not even worry about the gaskets in the future.