Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-28-2002, 11:11 PM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
Aaahhh!!! Stop The Rattling

Ok guys, some of you are going to hate me and others are going to wish they had this problem, but here goes. Over the weekend I had 2 exciting times with my car. I got hit by a tailgater for one, but we won't get into that now. The secon was that I bought a Memphis ST1000D amp. Now I see why thy say digital is o much better. The cheezy volfenhag 12 inch dvx's are hitting harder than my buddy daves truck, and he has an MA Audio 4000 watt amp on a 15 inch MA Audio Synergy sub. Of course with this kind of sound, I can't keep my car together let alone not rattling. My liscense plate bulbs keep falling out, I lost 2 of 4 liscense plat screws, my rear wiper in walking all over my window, and I already blew 2 taillight bulbs. My hood, roof, rear quarter, and rear windows are bouncing like crazy, and my exhaust is making noises all the way up. The main thing however is the truck. I don't know what I am going to do about the wing moving 3/4 of an inch each way, but I have to get that liscense plate area tight. If I push on it, it stops, but I have to push hard eough to move the car forward almost uphill. I have peeled the pads off the back of my kitchen cabinets and put them between the rubber stop on the trunck and the rear quarter, but I just can't stop it. Anyone got any ideas? Also, is the wing bolted or taped on? sorry so long, I guess I just love bragging.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
my trunk also rattles with the thumps...it's not the license plate though...I have yet to pinpoint the culpret myself
Old 05-28-2002, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Also, is the wing bolted or taped on?
Bolted

B.C.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:57 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Non wise-ass remark:
Get dynomat or bolt the sucker down. Dynomat the whole car as well while you are at it.

Wise-ass remark:
Is this the reason why the other car hit you? I mean music too loud -- attention went to music instead of the road? Oh... you should save that money for insurance instead.

Sorry -- had to do it.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-29-2002, 01:23 AM
I hate stupid people!

LOL, well, as far as the non-wise-ass remark, I thought about the dynamat, but will it seal up tight enough to stop the rattle? I guess I would have to get the spray and just do the whole trunk from the seat back. I know that stuff isn't cheap and it comes in squares rather than sheets. Maybe I will take the whole carpet out and all the panels off, and spray it with a few cans of that rubber undercoat sealent. I will have to put rubber plugs over all the holes I can find. I just don't see how vibrations can be stopped when they are only foot away. The dynamat also from what I heard absorbes a lot of bass, and costs quite a bit of money which you guys know I need now. Anyone think this will work?
As for the wise-ass remark, I got that amp from a friend of mine in trade for one of my radios. I had an old kenwood fip face and he needed a good radio for his MA audio system, so I only paid 80 bucks for a 700 dollar amp. I did not have it turned up in the accident. Actually, I had just finished a conversation with my girlfriend about what she was doing after work. She was going through her purse to find the phone number to her work. There was dead silence until the screeching. Maybe that was the problem. The cops got a kick out of the rattle when the tow truck driver started the car. The driver did too. I had the radio on pause, and when it was turned back on, it unpaused itself cranked up on my bass mekanik cd. hahahaha
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
It's the trunk latch. I had to reposition mine so you have to slightly slam the trunk for it to catch. Otherwise, it's too loose and rattles when the sub gets cranked up, although it sounds like my sub isn't quite up to par compared to his.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
my trunk also rattles with the thumps...it's not the license plate though...I have yet to pinpoint the culpret myself
Old 05-29-2002, 08:03 AM
EverclearAtMSU

the solution

is very simple. a stock sterio
Old 05-29-2002, 08:06 AM
EverclearAtMSU

oh, and that latch problem, what it is, is the metal in the latch rub against the metal in the catch, causing vibrations. One simple way to take care of this, is to put a rubber coating over them. I found that to work pretty well on past cars.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:41 PM
I hate stupid people!

I have alrady tried the moving the latch down idea. I went so far to get that thing tight that my tail lights are about 1/4 of an inch lower than the side lights. I do however like the idea of the rubber spray in there. Maybe I will do that tongith and let her dry in the garage overnight. Thanks guys, you've all been a help to me lately. Even the people with negative opinions still give me good ideas.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
What rattle ?

I wouldn't worry about the rattle, with that amp you will be deaf soon and it will be gone!
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:49 AM

Registered SVX
Possibly the rattle is in the head. N.B. the SVX has two.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-30-2002, 05:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A peacock's feathers never rattle.