How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-08-2001, 06:59 AM
Tired

Smile Cooler pics

I took some pics of my tranny cooler and filter when I installed it the other night. You can view them at: http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/sv...ir=/SVX+cooler

I hope this helps.

Paul

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 05-08-2001, 10:00 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Paul- looks good! How long did it take to install? Do you have a temp gauge to compare before and after? By the way, your engine bay looks a little too clean, I'm jealous.

How're things going with the youth at church? Did you ever buy a house? We've just moved, and still haven't really finished tying up the loose ends. I don't really want to do that again, although we've got a pool now. Sweet!

Rich
Old 05-09-2001, 10:42 PM
KEVINL

the best place to mount a tranny cooler is between the radiator and comdensor. My dad has a very large one which covers about 3/4 of the radiator or you can run 2 smaller coolers I run 2 coolers one for the engine one for the tranny I also dont use the factory in radiator cooler.
Old 05-10-2001, 12:55 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
so what parts / tools did you need?

other than the cooler it self

planning my own cooler install

btw, that inline filter you put in the factory location, is it on the driver side lower part of the engine compartment waay under the battery?

what kind of filter is it? fuel, or atf filter?

the only filter i really know where it is is the oil filter
http://www.svxwrx.com

Last edited by htyei; 05-10-2001 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-10-2001, 06:42 AM
Tired

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by richeich
Hey Paul- looks good! How long did it take to install? Do you have a temp gauge to compare before and after? By the way, your engine bay looks a little too clean, I'm jealous.

How're things going with the youth at church? Did you ever buy a house? We've just moved, and still haven't really finished tying up the loose ends. I don't really want to do that again, although we've got a pool now. Sweet!

Rich
Hi Rich,

No… Don't have a temp gauge yet. I have had the cooler kit for over a year now and finally got the nerve to install it! A good friend of mine is an engineer for Thomas Bus Company. He talked me in to installing the filter/cooler. It took us from 7:30pm till about 12:30 am to get it finished. The radiator is easy to remove. I do want to ad a gauge. I feel it would make the setup "complete".

The youth group is doing great. You see so much on TV about how the teens of our country are doing so badly. It is very refreshing to work with a group of kids who are as good as these are.

We bought our house last July. We are so happy. I now have a BIG garage! We have been there almost a year and are still unpacking things.

My wife is looking into a career change. She has been teaching for 5 years now and is burned out. With her looking for employment money has been a little tight. But hey… God is good. He will provide.

So you have a pool now? Sounds nice. During mid June through mid Aug in NC the average high is in the low 90s. The humidity levels are also in the low 90s. Swimming pools feel real good during those times of the year.

I hope all is going well with your family. God bless and keep in touch!

Paul

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 05-10-2001, 07:05 AM
Tired

Quote:
Originally posted by htyei
so what parts / tools did you need?

other than the cooler it self

planning my own cooler install

btw, that inline filter you put in the factory location, is it on the driver side lower part of the engine compartment waay under the battery?

what kind of filter is it? fuel, or atf filter?

the only filter i really know where it is is the oil filter
Hi Henry,

I bought my cooler and filter as a kit from Transmission Exchange Co. Check out this link:
http://www.teleport.com/~txchange/ptk.htm

I bought it over a year ago. It was only $42 bucks plus shipping. The cooler is made by Flex-A-Lite and the filter is made by Filtran. Both are reputable names. The kit comes with new hoses, clamps, Mounting strips (for the cooler) & additive for the transmission.

Yes, the inline filter is way under the battery. Raise your car, take off the plastic guard under the front of the car, and you should have easy access to your canister filter. I replaced the canister filter since it had been on my car since late 92. I figured it was pretty used. I mounted the inline filter in the same mounting bracket. The inline filter was smaller in diameter so I used some black high temp foam as padding to keep it secure. One thing also to keep in mind… When you mount your cooler try to keep it from being in direct contact with the condenser. I cut some small rubber spacers (1/8 inch).

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 05-10-2001, 02:12 PM
zsvx

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX JAZZ
When you mount your cooler try to keep it from being in direct contact with the condenser. I cut some small rubber spacers (1/8 inch).
If you don't feel like making the spacers yourself the B&M coolers come with these.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:34 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
thiking about buying the 24,000 GVW b&M cooler, hope that fits in front of the condenser
http://www.svxwrx.com