How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Unhappy What to do? My car is running rich, tooooooo rich

I took my car to the yearly government checkup this saturday and it failed because of the tyres (cracked and I didn't notice them ) so I got back, tried to install Yokohama AVS's but the specs I wanted were not available at the moment (235/40/17), so I had to put Toyo's and they look and feel great (135 US$ per tyre). So I got back to the checkup and it passed this time.

Now the second problem is that the CO2 level showed disturbing news and the guys over there told me that I might have a NON WORKING MAF .

The acceptable level of CO2 emitted (there are no exhaust restriction in my country... whatsoever) for the fuel to burn properly is 12% and above. Last year it was 6.06% and this year it got into 3.67%... and I am really noticing overconsumption from one year to another... So guys what to do? where might be my problem here?

Another issue is that there is no garage here which tests the CO2 level, they do not care about it, there is only the government place which shows this measure. People go here to check on the CO and not CO2.

I am thinking of going by LAN's Stage 2V5 with the 300Z MAF and if necessary and applicable add a fuel management system to the combo for better results...

Any help from the technical gurus???

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:33 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Since you have the "non-catalyst" model, your MAF has an adjustment screw on it, to the left of the plug.

This screw is used to adjust the idle Air/Fuel mixture, so that the amount of CO emitted is within acceptable limits.

My service manual states that at idle, the screw should be adjusted until the CO level as measured at the exhaust is 1.0 +- 0.5%.

Other than that, your MAF may need to be cleaned, or there could be a vacuum leak in the intake piping between the MAF and the intake manifold (although that would usually cause lean mixtures).

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 05-22-2006, 03:53 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW-SVX
Since you have the "non-catalyst" model, your MAF has an adjustment screw on it, to the left of the plug.

This screw is used to adjust the idle Air/Fuel mixture, so that the amount of CO emitted is within acceptable limits.

My service manual states that at idle, the screw should be adjusted until the CO level as measured at the exhaust is 1.0 +- 0.5%.

Other than that, your MAF may need to be cleaned, or there could be a vacuum leak in the intake piping between the MAF and the intake manifold (although that would usually cause lean mixtures).

Jason.
Thanks Jason for the info. How do I clean the MAF?, I mean I know how to clean it (vinegar) but how do I dismantle it and do I also soak the needle (sensor) which is in the intake system?
What does the manual also say about the CO2 level in my non catalyst car?

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:21 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Ok got the part of the MAF cleaning (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=Vinegar)

Still needs to know what the factory manual says about the exact CO2 levels in my non catalyst model

Old 05-22-2006, 05:15 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Still needs to know what the factory manual says about the exact CO2 levels in my non catalyst model
I have checked - that information is not in the service manuals.

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 05-22-2006, 05:57 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW-SVX
I have checked - that information is not in the service manuals.

Jason.
Thanks Jason for all the Help.
Any more suggestions?

Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Running rich?

Hi Danny, Did you find the Idle adjustment screw on the MAF that Jason mentioned? Does the car run OK other than using a lot of fuel, does it idle OK? Any other symptoms that you have noticed.?

Just going through the things that could cause a rise in fuel consumption, on your model. Air filter, Fuel pressure, MAF sensor, Water temp sensor, Plugs, a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator.( this would show up as fuel in the vacuum pipe that connects to the right rear of the inlet manifold)

Of course there can be other things like brake drag, gearbox drag etc.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Harv, my car runs OK at all times. I cannot pinpoint any problem whatsoever. There is one thing I am suspicious about: last year at the mechanical checkpoint the device read 6.06% or 6.36% for the CO2 levels and this year it read 3.67 or 3.06%... and according to Jason, the CO level should be around 1% while it is not, it is lower at all times (near 0.46%)... what is different from last year to this year is the air filter. I installed a K&N E-0940 which is used in 1990 Mustang 5.0L. I was thinking if I adjust the MAF according to a certain criteria, could I make the CO2 level above 12% ?

Last edited by SilverSpear; 05-25-2006 at 03:13 AM.