Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-31-2006, 06:41 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Danny you just need to adjust the brake band. Do it now so that the band is not damaged by slipping too much.

Harvey.
Good sound logical advice. I feel for you Harvey. Why is there continued procrastination ?

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Good sound logical advice. I feel for you Harvey. Why is there continued procrastination ?

Trevor.
Please Trevor, I really respect you as a Technically knowledgeable person, but I urge you not to use complicated words in your replies ( ), this is the first time in 2 years on this forum, I grab my WEBSTER's and check the meaning of a word

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Ok then, back to our topic, my mechanic chose to pull the starter out of the engine in order to adjust the nut, tightened it a little bit, then tried the car. The shifts went back to normal, everything seemed ok, but then going back home on an uphill road, I felt the 2nd still slipping just a very little bit. Do I have to tighten it more then? He told me there is still some more room to do it if I want to... anyways here are the pics (sorry for the crappy quality):

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Adjusting the brake band.

When you do the adjustment, you need to do it right, the first time. Tighten the adjuster screw down, till it is just tight, about as tight as you can get with a 3"/75mm long spanner, then unscrew it 3 full turns, lock the lock nut.

Don't just screw it in a bit, or you will be doing it many times, and still not know if it is right.

What you are doing when you tighten it up, is to squeeze the band tight on the drum, to take all the slack out. Then you undo it 3 turns, to set the right clearance. This is important to have the right timing, between the band and the high clutch operation.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
I wish you told me that before Harv... Hmmm anyways I will be doing it next week, thanks

Old 04-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
I have a small question, I adjusted my brake band the first time, it went ok for a few Kms but then I felt shift taking long to lock up. And now on each gear I need to push gas to a high rpms (3000 and above) and ease my foot a little bit for the shift to lock in place... Do I still need to adjust the brake band as you advised Harvey? or this is something completely different?

Old 04-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
I have a small question, I adjusted my brake band the first time, it went ok for a few Kms but then I felt shift taking long to lock up. And now on each gear I need to push gas to a high rpms (3000 and above) and ease my foot a little bit for the shift to lock in place... Do I still need to adjust the brake band as you advised Harvey? or this is something completely different?
We won't know till the band is set right. If that fixes it your smiling.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
We won't know till the band is set right. If that fixes it your smiling.

Harvey.
Ok Harv, i will readjust it by late tomorrow and update you. But for the first adjustment, the thing is it ran ok for few Kms, then it went bazzurk again....

Old 04-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Ok Harv, I adjusted the 7mm bolt as you suggested, well while tightening it, it just keeped turning and turning until the upper end was almost on the same level as the locking bolt, it went down . then I loosened it again 4 full turns counter-clockwise (well I admit I added a turn, it seemed not right to me with only 3 turns). I tried the car after that, shifts became solid (well somehow different from when they were before they got messed up , I cannot really pinpoint the difference. But what I can say is so far so good, hope it stays that way , and thanks a lot Harv for your constant support