Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-02-2006, 07:29 PM
cpelsy2k1

tips for body work

hey all,

my svx is finally coming out of its winter hibernation next week and there is alot of work to be done! Most importantly is the body. Heres what i need to do: take off the doors and put the insides on new shells, take off the front fenders and replace them with new ones, take off the rear deck lid and replace it with a new one. I have all the parts and between my dad and I we are pretty good mechanics. I just was wondering if anyone has any tips for doing this work, like what to do, what not to do, thanks!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
If you are doing the painting I would cut all the parts in before you install them or transfer anything to them.

Get several small cans. Place parts from each area that you are replacing into them. Do a good cleaning and touch up with the parts off.

Good luck

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 04-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Make sure you buy all the paint you think you will need plus an extra 10%. And mix it between the cans to assure your color is uniform throughout the process. A difference between 2 batches can and probably will show.

Don't skimp on flex agents, etc. Buy the ones recommended and go precisely by their instructions.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-02-2006, 11:44 PM

after clearcoating, don't be surprised if there's a good lot of orange peel going on.

when we painted my 240, it had lots of orange peel, so we just sanded it down with 1500 grit sandpaper and buffed the thing like crazy and it all went away,
Old 04-03-2006, 01:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Hijack!

I need body work done as well.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ikan/34913.JPG

This is right behind the rear passenger wheel (drivers side is begining to barely blister as well). I have NEVER done body work, and it seems scary.

I dont need perfection. The paint isn't that great, but Its going to be years before I get the money to do a paint job, so I definately want something i can live with, and make sure it doesnt keep rusting out. How would I tackle something like this?

Do I need to cut out a piece of an SVX that isn't rusted there? (I can, I have one) I dont weld...mmmph.... I just want to stablize this, until I can afford to have a real person do it cosmeticly perfect.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmmm...you could cut and weld, but you would really have to know what your doing in the welding department to prevent warping and distorting the whole area. Your probly best off wire wheeling the rusted area, plus some around it, spraying the area with rust treatment,and smoothing the area over with bondoglass (Its a mixture of bondo and fiberglass available at most hardware stores)
Sand it smooth , prime, and paint the area. If you take your time and clean / sand everything the best you can, you shouldnt even be able to tell. And the rust treatment, plus sealing it up w/ filler / paint, will help prevent it from deteriorating further
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-03-2006, 02:39 PM

I'm no body man, but yeah, the only way to really repair that rust is replace the entire affected area with new metal. As to postponing the inevitable, once corrosion gets that bad there's just not much you can do to arrest the process. For a quick and very temporary fix you could pound it in and cover it with body filler and paint, but meanwhile the panel will continue to rust from the inside-out.

dcb