Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 05:44 AM
scatman22

Question Timing belt replacement

I am about to replace the timing belt in my 96 LSI (60k miles). Is it recommended to replace idler bearings (4 total I believe) and 4 idler and 1 tension pulley? There is also a hydrolic tensioner and pulley, are these to be replaced as well?
I appologize for the wording, my mechanic asked these questions?
Any other items to be replaced when doing this?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:56 AM
billisa

Mine replaced a tensioner, but I was not aware of all the items you mentioned. Somehow I would think many of these items are designed to last longer than the belt itslef. But don't take my word. Others here will definitely know more.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:14 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman22
I am about to replace the timing belt in my 96 LSI (60k miles). Is it recommended to replace idler bearings (4 total I believe) and 4 idler and 1 tension pulley? There is also a hydrolic tensioner and pulley, are these to be replaced as well?
I appologize for the wording, my mechanic asked these questions?
Any other items to be replaced when doing this?

There is no specific recommendation from Subaru to replace anything else when you change the timing belt. Some people like changing water pumps, idlers, tensioners....etc......it's up to you and your money to decide what else to change.

Dave

P.S. the timing belt is a hefty beast that can EASILY go way past 60k. I did my last one after the belt had gone 100k.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
FWIW - I have never replaced the tensioner bearings and have 215k on one svx and 160k on the other without a failure.

60k is pretty early to do the belts. I'd personally wait until about 80k and then do the water pump and oil pump and front main seal & cam seals at the same time. Every belt I have taken off so far has appeared to be brand new - even at 100k miles. Looks could be deceiving though - there is no telling what internal stress damage has been done.
It won't hurt to do it early though.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:56 PM

If The Mechanic Is Not Really Going To Charge Any Extra Exept For The Parts. Well Take Advantage Of It, The Water Pump I Think Is A Plus...... And The Seals
Old 03-16-2005, 05:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by billisa
Mine replaced a tensioner, but I was not aware of all the items you mentioned. Somehow I would think many of these items are designed to last longer than the belt itslef. But don't take my word. Others here will definitely know more.

Given the nature of such products, I'd say a safety factor was built into the product. They recommend you replace the belt every 60k, but if they built a safety factor of 1.5 in, then you're good for 90k. Probably wise to adhere to the manual though, and replace it. As for the mechanical components, I doubt you should need to replace them, as they're made of good material and shouldn't experience failure.

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 03-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby

60k is pretty early to do the belts. I'd personally wait until about 80k and then do the water pump and oil pump and front main seal & cam seals at the same time. Every belt I have taken off so far has appeared to be brand new - even at 100k miles. Looks could be deceiving though - there is no telling what internal stress damage has been done.
It won't hurt to do it early though.
I second that

All in favor say "I"

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 03-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I've had a couple customers that unhappily experienced water pumps seizing and destroying the tensioner and idler pulleys. They had their belts replaced (one at the dealer) and later the damage occured. Just my reason for recommending at least the water pump in addition. Typically the seals and oil pump o-ring will be leaking, even if only a small bit. For their small additional price I'd give them serious consideration.

I can't recall when the law was passed but some cry-baby in California made a huge case and since then all manufacturers that employ timing belts in their engines must warranty them for a minimum of 105,000 miles. So... Personally I've never seen an SVX belt go bad with less than 100,000 miles but most will have required a water pump and seals replaced before that.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:54 AM
scatman22

Thumbs up Big thanks

Thank you so much for the responses. I will monitor the h2o pump and replace all at 80k.