How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-05-2005, 11:44 AM
jessej396

Exploded front differential

So driving down the highway about 3 weeks ago my front differential started clicking, which rapidly progressed to thumping and eventually car shuddering thwacking in the space of a couple minutes. It blew the ring gear and fractured the case.

I had the trans rebuilt by amco last summer(second time in 2 years), and my understanding from the shop owner at the time was that they just couldn't get it right(took over 2 months) and eventually ended up completely replacing the whole unit, which almost always includes the front diff. But he only charged me for a rebuild, and that's what went on the paper. So I go back and the place is under new ownership, and they say the warranty doesn't cover the diff cause they only did a rebuild of the trans. These people were there last summer and I'm certain they know otherwise, but screw it, I can't prove it and arguing it out isn't getting me anywhere.

Their first reaction is to accuse me of impacting the diff case(bottoming out) when anyone who knows anything about what happens to aluminum when it impacts something on the bottom of a car can see that they are completely full of it. After finally taking the thing apart they tell me they can't find a replacement diff anywhere. I get the guy to agree to use a diff I supply If I can locate one. So I get a very nice deal on a burnt trans with a good diff from the nice folks at motorsport warehouse, and deliver it to amco. When I drop it off they all start asking me if I got the right "gear ratio" because apparently svx differentials come in different flavors. I call up motorsport and they tell me they are 99% sure there is only one flavor. I don't know much of anything about differentials or automatic transmissions, Help?
Old 03-05-2005, 11:49 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I am pretty sure that there is only one kind.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 03-05-2005, 01:28 PM
How fast is fast?

Send a message via AIM to Bxsvx
There are 2 ratios for the svx, the AWD one and the FWD one, the awd has a final ratio I think of 3.54, the fwd has a final ratio of 3.73 I think, but I know that the awd has a lower ratio. Hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:14 PM
jessej396

I got AWD, and the unit I picked up is AWD. So hopefully I can get it back on the road soon. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by jessej396
I got AWD, and the unit I picked up is AWD. So hopefully I can get it back on the road soon. Thanks.
When you get back on the road, make sure that the AWD is working. That is that the transfer clutch is driving the back wheels. A lot of front diff failures in the US model, are due to to the transfer clutch not driving the back wheels. This prevents it from stopping the front wheels from spinning, and damaging the front diff.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:47 PM
jessej396

That would make sense given that we've had an unusual amount of rain here, and I've actually kicked in the AWD a bit. It's had a delayed response on take off, about half a second.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:06 PM
How fast is fast?

Send a message via AIM to Bxsvx
Your welcome goodluck!!
Old 03-05-2005, 06:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by jessej396
That would make sense given that we've had an unusual amount of rain here, and I've actually kicked in the AWD a bit. It's had a delayed response on take off, about half a second.
That would most likely be a worn out transfer clutch causing that delayed response from the rear.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-06-2005, 02:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
mine was doing the same thing and it went ignored to only get so bad that i was fwd only all the time with random spurts of awd kicking in. Soon after i replaced the engine i went to pull onto the road infront of my house and heard a loud bang. Got to my house and saw a four inch hole in the driver side of transaxle/front diff. It was completely blown open, the piece of metal was still barely/is hanging on. Pretty nasty looking ill have to take a pic.