Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2001, 02:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Okay, so I'm not so sure about this. I've had warped rotors on the car before, but htings are different now. Sometimes when I'm stopping, it feels like the front rotors are warped (steering wheel shakes some and it feels like the brakes are grabbing, releasing EVER so slightly). Sometimes, the car stops as smoothly as ever.

I also feel a light knock sometimes when I hit bumps, so maybe my subframe bolts are loose or maybe I have bad struts in the front...

Edit Follows

There's a very important detail I meant to include: the roads here in Michigan are atrocious. On intersections and freeway off-ramps, the surface is buckled and sort of resembles a rug that somebody tried to stop on, making it fold and bunch up.

So I think the reason that my brakes sometimes feel fine and sometimes don't is that it's not my brakes at all - our road conditions vary so much.

That's my question. I already know there are aftermarket rotors out there, and I wasn't asking what to replace them with. I want to know if I could be wrong about them being warped in the first place.

Thanks.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 04-20-2001 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:05 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Brake shudder

It can either be a warped rotor, or "hot spots".

Mine's developed it, it's like pea sized spots on the rotor that causes the friction difference.

From what I've been told, the only way to fix is to replace. Resurfacing won't fix it.

I guess ART rotors for me next month...

VK
92 Pearl LSL, 161k
Old 04-20-2001, 03:31 PM
zsvx

I've warped my rotors twice on my SVX so I am now also in the market for some ART rotors or something similar. See the "new rotors & pads, weird sounds" thread in MOD Mania.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:47 PM
Lowered SVX

mr. pockets

i am pretty sure that the knock you are hearing is struts because mine does the same thing. it could also be the control arm or sway bar bushings. i would check them just to be on the safe side. i am about to install the gc springs, koni's, and at the same time i am going to replace my bushings for good measure. also as far as brakes go i bought the zinc plated cross-drilled rotors from dayle at motorsports and i am very satisfied with the performance and look they are giving me. they are a bit pricey though.....well maybe not, i spent $700 for all four rotors and front carbon fiber pads to my door. maybe it is not so bad afterall.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 04-24-2001, 09:50 AM
Directionally Challenged

Send a message via AIM to Shadowyng
Hey 94SVX, how do you like your new rotors.. Ithinking about getting replacements and thougyht about the ART's. Just wanted to look throughout the field before I drop some<alot> of change!!! Thanks!!
Old 04-24-2001, 11:51 AM
lightning_8669

I have been trying to track down a vibration my SVX has had since December. I have replaced the trans and rear diff mounts (needed) but that did not make it go away. I have had all the rotors either turned or replaced. So the other day when I was rechecking my rear rotors for warp with the car up on stands I grabbed the driver's side rear wheel and it rattled back and forth. Upon further investigation I found one of the lateral link bushings had failed. I have one on order but won't know if it fixes the problem until next week sometime.

The symptoms are:vibration between 75-80mph and during braking at 40-35mph.

If you have ever had your rear bearing done you might want to check the rear bushings.

Just my $.02

JP