How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-28-2001, 03:41 PM
uconnscott

How long until my tranny goes??

Okay, I hear more people complaning about the SVX tranny than any other car on earth. Somebody saw my car (which I will soon be posting as my roomate got a digital camera for Christmas) and complemented it, but they had to ask "how is the tranny on that thing, I hear they have lots of problems". My SVX now has 76k+ which is low for a '92. When I was at the dealership recently, the mechanic said to me that if my tranny has lasted this long that there was a strong possibility that it had alot longer to go. At 72k I had the tranny flushed (whatever that means) and I had a tranny cooler installed (parellel to the new radiator I just had installed).

It seems as if I have taken all the precautions and I don't drive like a maniac--most of the time........which leads me to wonder how much longer I can realisticly expect this tranny to last. I would be very interested to get some replys as to how long their tranny has lasted (I am curious as to the tranny mileage record!)
Old 12-28-2001, 04:13 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: How long until my tranny goes??

Quote:
Originally posted by uconnscott
Okay, I hear more people complaning about the SVX tranny than any other car on earth. Somebody saw my car (which I will soon be posting as my roomate got a digital camera for Christmas) and complemented it, but they had to ask "how is the tranny on that thing, I hear they have lots of problems". My SVX now has 76k+ which is low for a '92. When I was at the dealership recently, the mechanic said to me that if my tranny has lasted this long that there was a strong possibility that it had alot longer to go. At 72k I had the tranny flushed (whatever that means) and I had a tranny cooler installed (parellel to the new radiator I just had installed).

It seems as if I have taken all the precautions and I don't drive like a maniac--most of the time........which leads me to wonder how much longer I can realisticly expect this tranny to last. I would be very interested to get some replys as to how long their tranny has lasted (I am curious as to the tranny mileage record!)
That question is like asking "when will we find Osama?" Nobody really knows. I think the "tranny troubles" deal with the SVX is a bit overblown. Yes, trannies come and go. They do on all cars. Trouble is, you only hear from those who've blown one. Most of the time, if someone has a smooth tranny, you won't hear from them. I've known several people who've not known a minute's trouble, and I've know those with 11 trannies.

You've done all the right things. The flush, the new radiator (the cooler in the old radiator was likely the major enemy of the tranny) -- the cooler. DON'T GET PARANOID. Enjoy your car! If you're going to insist on getting paranoid, you'll soon decide that it's just too much hassle to keep the car, because it makes you nervous. Now, if it becomes too much of a mental burden on you, just PM me. I'll then PM you my phone number. You can then call me and I'll give you instructions on how to get to my house. Then, you can drive your car to my house, park it in my driveway and just walk away from it -- leaving all that stress behind. Oh, and don't forget to sign the title and leave the keys in it.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-30-2001, 01:47 AM
One teal and One yellow

Talking You dont know you dont like it

you don't know it you don't like it. see, someone is wanting your car now before see it. aredubjay, how about buying mine?
'92 LS-L touring -spoiler-pretty new tranny then 2 coolers-still 57k on the clock. i'll give you a great offer lower than what you paid for yours 2 yrs ago w/ high miles and a legacy tranny in there. i guarantee it runs great and the tranny wud be good for another 100K except those tiny probs you've been knowing from me. i'm taking time to correct it.

uconnscott, what's your first reason bought the car? but you've done all the right things why so worried? i said it'll go at least 100K more. (hehe just kidding again nobody knows ) but i kind of agree with what the mechanics told you.

i hate to see a new SVXer worrying about the tranny 2 much w/o enjoying the great car.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 12-30-2001, 11:37 AM
uconnscott

Thumbs up Re: You dont know you dont like it

Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX
you don't know it you don't like it. see, someone is wanting your car now before see it. aredubjay, how about buying mine?
'92 LS-L touring -spoiler-pretty new tranny then 2 coolers-still 57k on the clock. i'll give you a great offer lower than what you paid for yours 2 yrs ago w/ high miles and a legacy tranny in there. i guarantee it runs great and the tranny wud be good for another 100K except those tiny probs you've been knowing from me. i'm taking time to correct it.

uconnscott, what's your first reason bought the car? but you've done all the right things why so worried? i said it'll go at least 100K more. (hehe just kidding again nobody knows ) but i kind of agree with what the mechanics told you.

i hate to see a new SVXer worrying about the tranny 2 much w/o enjoying the great car.
Thanks for the advice guys! SSSVX, I bought the car 'cause it was one of the coolest looking things I have ever seen!! Car runs great right now and that is all that matters. No more worries, just great driving!
Old 12-30-2001, 12:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: You dont know you dont like it

Quote:
aredubjay, how about buying mine?

Hmmm. What color was yours again?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-30-2001, 01:37 PM
uconnscott

personal locker

FYI--I just posted pictures of my black beauty in my personal locker. Unfortunatly the side view shows that the car is not as spotless as I keep it in the warmer months...........not that your guys haven't seen a black SVX before, but I thought I would mention it.........also, I am thinking of getting the upper side windows tinted, if you know anybody who has pics of this in their locker I would love to know!! Thanks
Old 12-30-2001, 03:49 PM
joeaux

Look at it this way. Subaru made about 35,000 of these cars world wide (give or take a few, nobody seems to know for sure). I think in all the years that I've been following the car (I got my '96 LSi new but followed the car from about '91) I've heard about, oh, maybe 200 or so trannies blowing. I wager that if we added up everyone on this group that's heard of a tranny blowing (including the techs) it still wouldn't add up to one-half of the cars made. You usually hear the bad news on the internet (usenet and groups like this).
-joe-
Old 12-30-2001, 03:53 PM
joeaux

Oh and one other thing. Nice car. And don't sweat the transmission! Just drive it and enjoy it. Every now and then I think about trading this car and buying a WRX (I'm buying a WRX anyway, soon, I hope). Then I drive it. Like I've said before; "There are things that we dream about all our lives. Truth, Love and SVX. There ain't nothin' else!"
-joe-
Old 12-30-2001, 03:57 PM
joeaux

One more thing (I swear this is it). Your back wheels are on the wrong sides.
-joe-
Old 12-30-2001, 10:09 PM
uconnscott

thanks alot!!

Always appreciate a complament! I am getting my snow tires put on next week hopfully. I will try to get the back wheels switched. It is driving me crazy, believe me
Old 12-31-2001, 06:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
UConnscott,

With an auiliary cooler and filter on the ATF you are taking the proper steps to insure tanny longevity. May I suggest that you also change to synth. ATF.

Next, how are the lady HUSKIES going to do this year ?

Have a Happy & Healthy New year.

Larry III
Old 01-02-2002, 04:28 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: Re: You dont know you dont like it

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Hmmm. What color was yours again?
At this point, I can't see why and have no reasons to let it go. I was kidding. That's the color. Body condition is I'd say so-so to good at its age. I picked my SVX mainly looking at its engine performance and tranny history and setup.

PS: Btw, last few nights, I saw the '92 pearlwhite in town had a recent accident again. Hers front bumper was broken. That's one of the SVXes I tested and could have it bought. It'd 90k at that time but for its conditions I gave up.

Old 01-02-2002, 08:55 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: You dont know you dont like it

Quote:

At this point, I can't see why and have no reasons to let it go. I was kidding. That's the color. Body condition is I'd say so-so to good at its age. I picked my SVX mainly looking at its engine performance and tranny history and setup.

PS: Btw, last few nights, I saw the '92 pearlwhite in town had a recent accident again. Hers front bumper was broken. That's one of the SVXes I tested and could have it bought. It'd 90k at that time but for its conditions I gave up.
You should know better than to "tease" about selling your car, here. Especially with that low mileage. But, you're in luck. I don't want a this color one. If I buy another, it will either be another pearl/black (hopefully a 94) or a solid black (Hopefully a 97).
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 01-02-2002 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:40 PM
Lowered SVX

i replaced my tranny at 63,000

i have since unplugged the tranny resistor and added a tranny cooler and so far so perfect. car is rock solid. good luck with your svx and just like everyone else said, dont worry.....just drive it and have fun with it. oh tint all the windows, not just the upper half.....
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-04-2002, 03:11 AM
One teal and One yellow

Talking Re: Re: Re: Re: You dont know you dont like it

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
You should know better than to "tease" about selling your car, here. Especially with that low mileage. But, you're in luck. I don't want a this color one. If I buy another, it will either be another pearl/black (hopefully a 94) or a solid black (Hopefully a 97).
Why do you only like "black" and "white"?

This color wasn't my first choice, but, now I found the virtues of it.

Same here, in the future, if I ever get another one, it'll be '94 or '97 LSi. (no color preference yet)

Or if I ever paint mine a new color; color color color color are may be my choice or the color i may think about it if i find the virtures of the school bus color