Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2004, 06:15 AM

Bearings Completed!

Once my bearings and Hub Tamer arrived, I was able to complete the rear wheel bearing project in short order.

The reduction in the interior noise level is absolutely amazing. So far, so good . . .

Thanks to everyone who provided so much technical advice and encouragement. Next up -- timing belt!

By the way, for those of you in the greater Philadelphia area who have need of a Hub Tamer in the future, just let me know -- it really does make the job much easier.

Joe Fillip
1995 Brilliant Red L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA
Old 06-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Following the path of the beam

Where did you get the Hub Tamer, and for how much?

92 Ebony LS-L "Jabberwerwok" Now includes 1 *free "Wheeeeeee" per ride!
83 Honda Magna v45 "Grendel"

*Free after mail in rebate
Old 06-20-2004, 05:21 PM

Got it on line (forget the name of the company). I believe it was $265 shipped to my door. Just do an Internet search for "Hub Tamer" and you'll find a number of vendors.

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA
Old 06-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
So - how hard is it to do the rear bearings once you have a hub tamer? Is this a couple hour job or a weekend project? Any other special tools required?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
So - how hard is it to do the rear bearings once you have a hub tamer? Is this a couple hour job or a weekend project? Any other special tools required?
I did my left rear bearing, using a lift and having an air impact driver in addition to the hub tamer, in about 4 hours. But keep in mind I had never used a hub tamer or R&R'ed a Subie bearing of any sort. I think it would take me about 2.5 hours now. Most of the time is in disassembly, i.e., parking brake assembly, etc.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:33 AM

An impact gun is extremely helpful (I have an electric one), but you could probably do without if you had to. Other tools you'll need are as follows:

1. Torque wrench rated up to 150 ft. lbs. (for reassembling everything).

2. 32 mm. socket (to remove and install hub nut).

3. Slide hammer and hub puller (both available through the Auto Zone tool loan program).

4. Three (3) after market lug nuts for use on the hub puller (size M 12, 1.25 pitch).

5. 1.25 in. combination wrench (for use on one end of the Hub Tamer mounting screw).

6. 1 in. impact socket (if you use an impact gun) (for use on the other end of the Hub Tamer mounting screw).

Everything else can be done using standard tools.

By the way, there's no need to disassemble the parking brake assembly within the wheel to do this job (ask me how I know). All you need do is remove the small "C" clip that attaches the parking brake cable to the back of the hub plate, then remove the housing attaching the emergency brake cable to the car body (one 12 mm bolt). That will free the parking brake cable up enough so that (after removing the transverse link bolt) you'll be able to swing the hub assembly out and remove the drive shaft from the hub.

Hope this helps.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA
Old 06-21-2004, 08:50 AM

A Suby dealership quoted me the "book" on SVX rear bearing replacement, and as I recall, that was two hours per side.

dcb
Old 06-22-2004, 08:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bizarre Send a message via Yahoo to Bizarre Send a message via Skype™ to Bizarre
Wow.

Hey Lanciat,

Good job on the RW bearing. I think one of mine is toast, but I can't hear which one. Nucar Subaru in New Castle, DE did the right rear, but I think that is the bad one (go figure, they probably screwed it up).

I drive from Manayunk to Delaware most every day and sometimes roll down Rt 1, would you mind diagnosing mine for me?

Thanks,
Adrian

"In times of peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side." Sun Tzu c 300 b.c.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:13 AM

Sure. PM me and we can set up a time to meet.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:47 PM

I neglected to mention that a 32 mm impact socket is also available through the Auto Zone tool loan program.

I neither work for nor own stock in Auto Zone, but I'd always prefer to borrow a tool unless I have to or want to buy it.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA