Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Agreed! I actaully based my estimate from the cost Car & Driver reported tuners put into their cars in last year's 4 banger Super Flea Challenge - I may be wrong, but I think Cobb racing's WRX had a final sticker in the 70-80K range!

Yeah, for that kinda loot, I would fill my garage with three cars instead of one: SVX, Lexus RX330 and Evo/STI...

-Chike

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
Geez, man, I just don't get it. For that kind of dough, I'd be driving a different, very sweet SVX every day of the week.

dcb

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-19-2004, 12:36 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
That is sweet!

I just noticed it's a 94, and it's got the gray dash. That would make it a FWD right? Interesting...

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 04-19-2004, 12:52 PM

Good eyes! It very well could be a FWD SVX, however, there are a lot of aftermarket dash kits available for the SVX, so he may still have a '94 AWD LSi model.

Good observation though...

Old 04-19-2004, 03:51 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: That is sweet!

Quote:
Originally posted by BordeauxComet
I just noticed it's a 94, and it's got the gray dash. That would make it a FWD right?
Not necessarily. There were quite a few of the L models produced in 1994 and 1995 with the "active safety group" option which includes AWD and ABS. Mine is like this.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to svxin
if you guys are interested i am doing a turbo kit on my svx at some point once i finish my drag car. non intercooled stage 1 single turbo, stage 2 intercooled single turbo, stage 3 intercooled with twin turbos. also should be comming out with compleat exhaust systems including headers. 2.5 inch and 3 inch stainless and tig welded. just need time to start the project. the engine managment will probably be aem standalone.ill keep you guys posted on my progress and let you know of some of the other things i might come out with for the svx.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:13 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Not necessarily. There were quite a few of the L models produced in 1994 and 1995 with the "active safety group" option which includes AWD and ABS. Mine is like this.
I'm pretty sure that was only on the 95's, his is a 94.

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 04-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
svxsubaru1, I spent a couple of hours searching for intercoolers that were in the $800 range that you mentioned and found none. Typical prices ranged from $1500 to well over $5000. Now I'm not sure if you're referring to a smaller intercooler system that would work on a turbo'd civic, but all large respectable ones made by HKS, Greddy, etc. run at least $1,500. For illustration, the intercooler upgrades offered for the 3000GT VR-4/Stealth by Dynamic Racing can be seen here. And these aren't even the biggest systems available for these cars. And if you look at systems offered for the Supra & Skyline GT-R, the best ones run into 5-6K range.

And the intercooler this guy has on that Turbo'd SVX is pretty large! Crash was being conservative when he said $3,000.00.

-Chike

Sorry man, you're way out of the ballpark. Even the highest end, highest flow, lowest pressure drop intercooler currently on the market for Subaru applications is less than $1500. Here's a link:
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wr...dr650_fmic.htm
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wr...-05/fmi_05.htm

You can pick up very effective, well made intercoolers for these type of applications for under $700. Hell, a lot of turbodiesel trucks come with similar intercoolers as stock equipment and can be salvaged from junkyards.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:55 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter

Hell, a lot of turbodiesel trucks come with similar intercoolers as stock equipment and can be salvaged from junkyards.
All right, Porter. You're still stuck thinking about the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge, aren't you!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 04-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Porter

Guilty as charged!

Whaddya think.... top mount intercooler fed by a roof scoop?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:51 PM

Interesting find Porter. You know what, I was looking at intercoolers offered for totally different cars - Supras, 3000GT's, 300ZX's, RX-7's, Skyline GT-R's, etc.

I know intercoolers can be inter-changeable between different cars and set-ups (with some custom fitting), but the top products offered by Japanese tuners can run well over $5,000.

This guy seemed to spare no expense when building this one-off turbo SVX - maybe he slapped an intercooler on from a wrecked turbo diesel truck - but it seems more likely to me that he would have put on a top-of-the-line product from HKS, Greddy, Top Secret, etc.

Just my 0.02

-Chike

Quote:
Sorry man, you're way out of the ballpark. Even the highest end, highest flow, lowest pressure drop intercooler currently on the market for Subaru applications is less than $1500.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:02 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Interesting find Porter. You know what, I was looking at intercoolers offered for totally different cars - Supras, 3000GT's, 300ZX's, RX-7's, Skyline GT-R's, etc.

I know intercoolers can be inter-changeable between different cars and set-ups (with some custom fitting), but the top products offered by Japanese tuners can run well over $5,000.

This guy seemed to spare no expense when building this one-off turbo SVX - maybe he slapped an intercooler on from a wrecked turbo diesel truck - but it seems more likely to me that he would have put on a top-of-the-line product from HKS, Greddy, Top Secret, etc.

Just my 0.02

-Chike

The "top" as u suggest are not just cores. they are polished cores and endtanks, with fully polished mendral piping and fittings. Very few rival the 5k range. A complete Spearco core'd kit amy come near that range, but would have to be a hell of a intercooler!
phil
Old 04-19-2004, 11:03 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Of you ask me it looks most like a second gen frontmount for a DSM. Long and skinny. But could be anything
phil
Old 04-20-2004, 04:25 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Quote:
Guilty as charged!

Whaddya think.... top mount intercooler fed by a roof scoop?
I still want to build what we talked about. Although the roof scoop could certainly be added.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 04-20-2004, 07:59 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by BordeauxComet

I'm pretty sure that was only on the 95's, his is a 94.
I just looked at cars101, and you're right. I hadn't noticed that before. Being a FWD L would also explain the lack of ABS unit in the location of the air filter.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 04-20-2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:23 PM

Quote:
svxsubaru1, I spent a couple of hours searching for intercoolers that were in the $800 range that you mentioned and found none. Typical prices ranged from $1500 to well over $5000. Now I'm not sure if you're referring to a smaller intercooler system that would work on a turbo'd civic, but all large respectable ones made by HKS, Greddy, etc. run at least $1,500. For illustration, the intercooler upgrades offered for the 3000GT VR-4/Stealth by Dynamic Racing can be seen here. And these aren't even the biggest systems available for these cars. And if you look at systems offered for the Supra & Skyline GT-R, the best ones run into 5-6K range.

And the intercooler this guy has on that Turbo'd SVX is pretty large! Crash was being conservative when he said $3,000.00.

-Chike

Under 800 U.S. dollors for aToyota Supra http://www.suprasport.com/suprasport...roducts_id/240

I know a person who runs one of these, heres his dyno http://www.7mpower.com/trey_parsons.shtml
If you look on that web site you will see that almost all the supra people use a maxx intercoller that cost under 800 bucks, and all of them there are over 400 WHP.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 04-20-2004 at 09:32 PM.