How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2004, 02:06 AM

installing a AWD 5speed into a FWD questions

i have read on here that is can be done without too much extra trouble. but what i am interested in is what parts am i going to need. i know what most of the big stuff is but its hard trying to figure out the best setup.

ok could you guys help me with the parts i am going to need.
like ill need a tranny, flywheel, clutch, rear axles, driveline, rear diff,tranny mount, pedels. and what gear ratio mix of the different 5speeds and diff gearing would provide a good mix of high and low speed power?

do i have to get whole different rear end including shocks and struts and braking and everything else or just some things?

i have a few other questions about tranny strength and stuff like that but i have learned most of that from visiting this very awesome site for months now. finally got a svx 3 weeks ago and now a better job to boot. so i will have money to start scrounging around for the individual parts that i will need to do this. any help on setups that work great on others cars and maybe some average pricing on some good parts. thanks in advance guys.

Ken
Old 03-24-2004, 09:49 AM

To convert it to AWD you will need a new gastank, rear hubs, and all the rest of the 5spd parts. I never heard it was a easy conversion, but if your already going to swap a 5spd in to it will only add some labor time.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Converting an SVX to a 5-speed is one thing, but I think converting a FWD SVX to an AWD 5-speed is another.

Personally, I'd just start with an AWD SVX. There are so many little parts that are different, you could go crazy trying to do this. Having a wrecked AWD SVX to pull parts from would be a necessity, since nobody's done this before (that I know of) and therefore a list of parts you'll need isn't available.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-24-2004, 12:05 PM

There may not be a person who has done it to a SVX, but all newer gen subarus are almost the same in every way, so i dought any thing would be diffrent in the parts needed to convert it from any newer sube.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Porter

???

The whole rear subframe design is different between an SVX and other Subarus. You will need an AWD SVX gas tank, AWD SVX differential carrier and diff, though you may be able to use a diff from another Subaru effectively. AWD rear hubs will also be necessary.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
gas tank, hubs w/ new bearings, rear axles, driveshaft, rear end, including the mount for the rear diff including all bushings and bolts, u would need a parts car, i wanted to onvert mine to awd too but it's just not worth the hastle buy an awd it would be cheaper and easier.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:19 PM

yeah it would be a pain to do but if i could find a wrecked svx i would only need a few parts that most other ppl dont need. all the rest i can get from almost any sube or just order it.

also i have heard that the front diff on fwd cars are stronger than the ones on awd cars. if im going to do a swap in one then i will also want to add more power too. so the stronger everything is the better.

anyone have any thoughts
Old 03-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
well, if you're up for doing it, thats definitely going to take lots of time, effort, and money, but if you want to do it, I say go for it. It'll be an interesting project. BTW, where's ontario?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:33 AM

welll ontario is the farthest east you can go in oregon and about in the middle. its just am hour west of boise idaho.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:18 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I think the FWD SVX uses the same gas tank as the AWD ones, as the all the early SVX's were AWD, I don't think they ever made a seperate tank for the FWD, like they did for the other Subarus, but you can just get under it and see, if it has the hump in the middle for the driveshaft to go through, you won't need a tank.

I had a FWD and was under it to swap out the exhaust to my AWD one, and it had all the correct mounting points to bolt the AWD components up.
I think you'll just need a drive shaft, rear diff (a SVX one and a matching diif for the manual) and a set of SVX Axles, and the mounting bradckets for the rear diff.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-27-2004, 09:50 AM
red95svx

Huck is right, every SVX has the same gas tank. There is no difference between FWD and AWD.

Dave
Old 03-27-2004, 09:12 PM

thanks for all the info guys
so it sounds like it really isnt that big of a deal to go from fwd to awd. expecially since i will be putting a manual in it anyways
Old 03-30-2004, 03:21 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
don't forget bout the wiring. when i was thinking about doing this, i noticed that my svx didn't have the wiriing for the fwd fuse that the awd model does. Its just an empty socket so i am thinking that there is a little more than just mechanics, theres gotta be a decent amount of electrical, oh crap nm ur doin a 5 speed. whatever, just double check on any electrical u might need
Old 04-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
I also believe the rear hubs are the same. The only difference in the hub assemblies that I know of involve whether or not the car has ABS brakes.

I have both FWD and AWD versions of the SVX. My wrecked SVX is a 92 and I have exchanged rear hub assemblies-installing the AWD version on the FWD. The FWD has a axle stub in place of the rear half shaft.

Lee

SVXx4
Old 04-19-2004, 11:32 AM
deruvian

Mmmm... This is something I've been thinking about doing for a long time. Well, as soon as I have a spare $4k, that is.

Wait, lhopp77, did you say that you swapped the AWD components from your wrecked vehicle into a FWD SVX? From your message, the whole ordeal sounded past-tense.