Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2002, 11:40 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

ABS disconnect for snow stopping?

Is it possible to disconnect the ABS in a 1997 OBS (sorry not an SVX) so that the wheels will stop spinning in the snow? This is to improve stopping in the snow.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Umm...the few extra feet of improvement may not be as important as retaining control of your car during such emergency manuvers.

KuoH
Old 03-25-2002, 01:13 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
I would be very, very reluctant to do that. But, that's just my opinion. YMMV.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:50 PM
alacrity024

I for one would really like the option to disconnect ABS, especially for snow. When I'm going about 15 mph on snow and I try to stop, the ABS is find until I get down to about 7mph, at which point it's almost as if I wasn't even pushing the brake pedal down. With the wheels locked up on snow I think I could stop much quicker. Granted I might get the back end a little sideways, but I can modulate my own brakes, thank you very much..

-Adam
Old 03-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Doogie

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
I for one would really like the option to disconnect ABS, especially for snow. When I'm going about 15 mph on snow and I try to stop, the ABS is find until I get down to about 7mph, at which point it's almost as if I wasn't even pushing the brake pedal down. With the wheels locked up on snow I think I could stop much quicker. Granted I might get the back end a little sideways, but I can modulate my own brakes, thank you very much..

-Adam
Not to mention, it's a hell of a lot funner driving a car with no ABS.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:56 PM
alacrity024

heh... I mean, don't get me wrong, I think that ABS has its place, but I really feel that it should be up to the owner whether or not to have it activated because sometimes it can get you into more trouble than its worth. On dry and wet pavement I think it's a pretty good idea, but it has no place on snow & ice. Those sharp modulations will often put you into a worse slide than just locking the brakes would have..

-a
Old 03-25-2002, 08:36 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Well, disconnecting the ABS system may be illegal, or so I've heard.

Having said that, I've discovered that if a fuse blows on the ABS circuit, the ABS system stops working. Draw your own conclusions...

VK
Still haven't replaced the RR ABS sensor
Old 03-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Subie Two

I'd suggest keeping the ABS, but when you need to stop your wheels at low speeds, try the handbrake.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I've driven on sheet ice with the SVX before and have never had a problem stopping, even with the ABS. At low speeds and with gentle pressure, I don't think the ABS even activated. But stomp on the brakes and yes, the combination of the ABS, ice, and crown of the road can send you sliding off to the side. On snow though, this is never a problem. Reason enough to disconnect the ABS? Not in my opinion. The key is being prepared and to think about the reaction of the car beforehand.

As for having more fun without the ABS, if you get the car up to 25 MPH on a BIG snow/ice covered parking lot, crank the wheel, give a little gas, then stomp on the brakes, I guarantee you that you will be doing a couple of 360's, even with the ABS! There's just too much momentum and too little friction for it not to. So having it disconnected won't make it any more fun besides, that's what the handbrake is for. Keep in mind though, your rear wheel bearings were not built to withstand too much abuse.

KuoH

Quote:
Old 03-26-2002, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Subie Two
I'd suggest keeping the ABS, but when you need to stop your wheels at low speeds, try the handbrake.
Have you done this? I think it would really confuse the AWD system. The car would think the front wheels are spinning and the back wheels are planted....... Putting full 50% power to the rear wheels and maybe burning up the rear clutches.

I see your point that the hand brake could be used lightly to stop the car in snow.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I for one would really like the option to disconnect ABS, especially for snow. When I'm going about 15 mph on snow and I try to stop, the ABS is fine until I get down to about 7mph, at which point it's almost as if I wasn't even pushing the brake pedal down.
-Adam
Well this is the point I was getting out. It seems to me that the ABS should shut off below 7 MPH. It would be a lot better stopping on packed snow going down a hill.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:52 PM

Just for the record, I have 3 subaru's: a 97 OBS with ABS, A 92 SVX with ABS and a 91 Legacy without ABS. The Legacy has never gone sideways on the packed snow or had a problem stopping. The SVX has never had a problem stopping in snow and the ABS only comes on when the when I stomp real hard on the brake. Now the OBS is an other story. Below about 7 MPH on a down hill it is almost impossible to stop completely in a reasonable distance. The brake peddle really pushes back aggressively when the wheels lock up. It almost seems to be out of adjustment or something.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:02 PM
Ennui

RE: handbrake

Quote:
Originally posted by Subie Two
I've seen handbrakes lock up on older cars (so that you have to get in there and unstick something). My friend's father told me that this was because the original owner never used it and thus never broke it in. Anyone know whether this has any validity or not?
Old 03-26-2002, 10:59 PM
92_SVX_LSL

no no no

I would have to agree that disconnecting the ABS is a bad idea. My dad has a '99 Outback Wagon, and my SVX will out stop that car by a good distance. I'm afraid to drive the Outback in ice and snow because it does not want to stop. My SVX stops on a dime in snow and ice, even with the ABS kicked in. I think that you would be better off with the ABS because what if you got into a situation where you really do need ABS. So i would leave it alone. but that is my opinion, it's your car do as you would like.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:15 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: RE: handbrake

Quote:
Originally posted by Ennui

I've seen handbrakes lock up on older cars (so that you have to get in there and unstick something). My friend's father told me that this was because the original owner never used it and thus never broke it in. Anyone know whether this has any validity or not?
There is no 'break-in' on parking brakes. What happens is either the cables have water in them and rust or they have water in them and freeze in cold weather. Some cars have mechanisms that rust at the wheel, some rear disc calipers will stick.

Beav