How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-10-2002, 08:51 PM
wendelSvx

Question SVX wont start

Well my SVX has been stalling out when i come to stops and is having trouble starting up. The engine is turning but wont spark up. The battery is ok. I know it could be any of a million things in this car but if anyone is familiar with the situation would and has any ideas would be very helpful thanks

Last edited by wendelSvx; 02-10-2002 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:51 AM
Green1995SVX

First of all, I need to formally welcome Andrew to the "network." I'm sure you'll find it a fun place to chill and talk about SVX's.

Now... I have to second andrews question... Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this? The car turns over but wont start... The fuel pump does kick on.

-Mike
Old 02-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I can't say what may be causing it, but, I have a general troubleshooting chart in my Yahoo briefcase. Just go to the "How-to" personal locker. I've put the link in there . . . somewhere.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I can't say what may be causing it, but, I have a general troubleshooting chart in my Yahoo briefcase. Just go to the "How-to" personal locker. I've put the link in there . . . somewhere.
randy... nice info "my reality check bounced" hilarious...

-Mike
Old 02-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Randy - I checked out that troubleshooting chart... DAMN! theres a lot of possabilities. Maybe just take the car to the subaru dealer... Somtimes thats all that works.

-Mike
Old 02-15-2002, 03:21 PM
Lowered SVX

can you jump the car off?

my first guess would be the alternator. make sure the car is all the way in park. i had to replace some switch that would not let the car start if it was not all the way in park. i think it is mounted above the tranny......damn i cannot remember the name of it!!

definitely check the alternator first.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-15-2002, 04:19 PM
sith

Re: can you jump the car off?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
had to replace some switch that would not let the car start if it was not all the way in park. i think it is mounted above the tranny......damn i cannot remember the name of it!!
Methinks you are thinking of the neutral safety switch? At least, a bad NSS would do what you're describing.
Old 02-16-2002, 01:17 AM

Sorry guys,
If engine turns over, it is not a neutral safety switch - the switch disables the starter.
It cannot be an alternator either - alternator does not do anything at cranking speeds (rotation is way too slow for it).
Battery is used to both crank engine and to supply power to ECU and ignition system at startup.

Intermittment failures and difficulty starting may be caused by MAF (mass airflow sensor). It typically does not trigger trouble code in ECU. Did you have Check Engine light when your engine
was still running? Have you tried to check the trouble codes from ECU?

MAF can be tested by measuring voltage on the connector. It has 3 wires, one will be ground, the second one +12v (or whatever is the battery voltage), the third is the signal.
It should be approx +0.3v at ignition on, and close to +1v with
engine running at idle.

It can be a million of other things as well. Try cranking with
throttle half open and fully open -it may or may not start. In either case this eliminates quite a few components as potential culprits.
Old 02-16-2002, 11:07 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674
Sorry guys,
If engine turns over, it is not a neutral safety switch - the switch disables the starter.
It cannot be an alternator either - alternator does not do anything at cranking speeds (rotation is way too slow for it).
Battery is used to both crank engine and to supply power to ECU and ignition system at startup.

Intermittment failures and difficulty starting may be caused by MAF (mass airflow sensor). It typically does not trigger trouble code in ECU. Did you have Check Engine light when your engine
was still running? Have you tried to check the trouble codes from ECU?

MAF can be tested by measuring voltage on the connector. It has 3 wires, one will be ground, the second one +12v (or whatever is the battery voltage), the third is the signal.
It should be approx +0.3v at ignition on, and close to +1v with
engine running at idle.

It can be a million of other things as well. Try cranking with
throttle half open and fully open -it may or may not start. In either case this eliminates quite a few components as potential culprits.
My first suggestion was the MAF as well. The dealer has the car now, and thinks its the "computer" they dont have a very good track record though.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2002, 09:33 PM
wendelSvx

fixation

well it was a bad crank sensor for anyone who might come across this $180 -- thanks for the suggestions--