Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2013, 02:41 AM

Arrow Electrical Issue Pleeez Help!

1.) Year, mileage and market of SVX (JDM, USDM, etc)
'92 Teal SVX LS-L Touring @ 130K miles

Market? JDM? USDM? huh?

2.) Upgrades or Modifications that may be related to the issue.
-none

3.) What was happening when the malfunction became evident, and what, if any environmental circumstances accompany the problem(i.e. only happens when raining)
-there are no rhyme or pattern to these issues

A) May 2013 I knew I needed a new CV joint on the front left side, new rotors and brakes. Just waiting on the funds.

B) In June, my automatic seat belt on the drivers side stopped working for a few months. Sometimes it would move forward with no apparent rhyme or reason. Then it stopped altogether for a month. For about 2 weeks, my drivers side window switch started not working periodically only going down, works every time going up tho. As soon as it quit working completely the seat belt suddenly started working every time! Are these 2 issues connected? Seams to me that i either have a belt working or a window. I felt they were tied together, then 1 day they both stopped periodically working and quit altogether.

C) In September, I was driving with the A/C on, radio off, phones plugged into lighter. Suddenly the radio came on all by itself, then it shut off and so did the phones at the same time. a few dash lights came on (been so long I forgot which ones all in all) I know 1 was the ABS and check engine, there was a 3rd as well. for the next mile to my sisters house the 2 sets would alternate radio & phones would come on, when they shut off the dash lights came on. It did this numerous times, 8 or 9. I didn't want to shut the car off for fear that It wouldn't start again. So I ran in real quick to grab the thing at my sisters. I came back out, the car was off apparently it wasn't holding an idle. (or the idiot in the passenger seat turned it off and wouldn't fess up to it) yup sure enough I needed a jump to get going. I headed home and it was fine for some time, a few weeks.

D) I brought it in for diagnostics at X Sports in Everett WA, told them all this. They did a whole car inspection even though I asked them to focus on electrical. They discovered all issues ground at 'E' they couldn't figure out where 'E' was to look at it, the guy even took home the info to explore further. Also said drivers window switch is out, passenger switch fine yet both were acting up.

E) They found my rack n pinion is bad needs replacing. Informed me that the bill was up to $6000. so they stopped looking for the electrical issues and suggested getting a new car....wish they would have finished the electrical! it's not like I'm gonna pay for their labor so far all could be done free by my son, $350 for rack n pinion, 150, cv brakes no biggies (comparatively).

F) Now the car has separated tires, cv so hammered that I can barely go a few blocks. I need to drive 7 blocks to pick up my son at school. I turn the key and nothing, this has happened a few times recently.
I pop the hood set the battery charger on the dry ground,
hook up the terminals, notice an odd sparking occur,
then plug in the charger... it starts buzzing loudly and smoking!
I unplug and disconnect it.
no start on the car.
the battery charger is fried, garbage.
that was my last attempt to drive, fix or diagnose my issues until now.

6.) Level of technical experience - Not much personally, but I can relay info to people that would comprehend.

Last edited by JewelsSVX; 12-21-2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: misspelling