Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-07-2009, 02:02 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Nicest thing that ever happened to my SVX!

How long is the wait for full output with these lights? How do they compare to the OE lamps when first turned on? Could someone post a video of the lights illuminating something so we could see how long...
Old 02-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Hutchinson View Post
How long is the wait for full output with these lights? How do they compare to the OE lamps when first turned on? Could someone post a video of the lights illuminating something so we could see how long...
Long is non-descriptive. It is so fast it is not even relevant when turning on the lo's to drive. Driving with hi beam H.I D's might be noticeable delay... for an instant... but when you turn the lo beam on and go some place, you get an instant flash and it might take a second or two to go all the way and then they are good to go.

(That's the way mine do)

Keith
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
My low beams take probably 2 to 3 seconds to be full intensity. It's absolutely inconsequential to their usefullness.

High beams would be fine if you drive w/o oncomming traffic, but since I use mine on roads where I need to turn them off for traffic I want them to turn back on instantly. Also, they're pretty useless as passing flashers if you can't flash them faster than 3 second long flashes. For those reasons I prefer hallogen high beams.

I just wish my stock high beams were as bright as the HIDs. I think I might want to tear apart my headlights and install some Hella FF75 driving lights in place of the stock reflectors.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks Kwren and Sperry,
My Son has sent in an order. After one week, he is still awaiting shipping confirmation. Not a big deal if you aren't in a hurry, but...
I am probably going to get some as well. I may not even wait until I get my car back from my daughter, after all, she could benefit from them.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks Kwren and Sperry,
My Son has sent in an order. After one week, he is still awaiting shipping confirmation. Not a big deal if you aren't in a hurry, but...
I am probably going to get some as well. I may not even wait until I get my car back from my daughter, after all, she could benefit from them.
Yes she could! A Bunch!!

Keith
Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 AM
Registered Loser

Hey can we see where you installed them, did you install them in the fender or somewhere around where the actual bulb housing is??
Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
What color temp works the best. I know for the appearance, a bluish or purplish would look best on my ebony. but really I just want what color would work best on these country roads I live on.
Check out this compilation of the various color temperature comparisons.

The most bang for your buck in terms of light output is 5000K. Look in my locker [URL="http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=547"[B]]HERE[/B][/URL] for photos of my 5000K low beams and 5000K fogs.

As far as bad snowy weather goes, I disconnect my headlights and run only the foglights. Puts out a tremendous amount of light onto the road and the fog light beam is low and wide enough that you don't get reflected glare from falling snow.

[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR]
Attached Files
File Type: doc HID Color temperature Comparison.doc (26.0 KB, 96 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 AM

Seems like that would be a case for modifying the fog-light trigger to work with the marker-lights.

Usually that is done by cutting the trigger line into the fog light switch on the dash from the low-beam circuit, and substituting a voltage trigger from the dash illumination circuit (before upstream of the dimmer)... enabling the fog-lights any time the dash is illuminated (even just marker lights setting), and the fog light switch is on. It separates them from only being on with the low beams, and bypasses the high beam fog-cutout, as well.

I haven't done it on an SVX... but I did that mod on my old 93 Probe GT many years ago. I imagine someone has done the mod on an SVX.

Disconnecting the low beam headlights is a dangerous condition. Fog lights do not have the reach of even the low beams. I'd rather have the switch-ability of using any combination of the 3 pairs of forward lighting, from the dash controls.

Ideally, I would like a set of HID lows, 5000-6000 kelvin color temperature, 55watt, if they aren't too bright for oncoming traffic. (projector cutoffs are pretty strict... so it might be OK..) No need to go too far blue.

Halogen Infrared high-beams... brighter halogen bulbs, essentially. A special IR reflective coating re-focuses heat back onto the filament, spiking the brightness a bit more. They aren't quite HID bright, but they don't suffer from switching on and off issues with ballasts, from engaging and dis-engaging the high beams.

Selective yellow halogen, or possibly high-intensity LED replacement bulb yellow fogs, if the LED bulbs focus acceptably.

(I wish someone made an array mix of high intensity distinctly yellow and warm-white LED strips, with optical lenses for fog-light pattern... instead of blue or blue-white LED ricer-lights, which are comparatively useless as fogs, even if they are called such.)

I'd have that setup in both my SVX and my Legacy GT. My miata, too, if I had a 2001-2004 front headlight and bumper cover conversion... for their 4-beam headlights with projector lows. 99-2000 had combo-beam reflectors, which work, but aren't ideal, and permanently compromised between high and low beam patterns out of a single dual-filament bulb.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 01-22-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 AM

HID fog lights put out a bunch of lights all by themselves!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

nice thread. One thought i have had is quality though. (now I get the color thing though.. yay 5000k)

Not all HID upgrade kits are created equal I presume? What specific brand works the best for us? I presume these are 9006 plug and play style (is there a down side to that?)

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!