Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: LED tail light conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
that looks HORRIBLE. that crap is all lopsided and uneven!
another Lwin hack-job.
Hence the reason I'd like a better write up, lol.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

LED's won't work in our cars, or imo, look good because the light housings weren't made for LED's. Simply putting LED's behind the clearly dated 90's era brake assembly's just won't look right. I would think that the thought of installing these LED's in our svx's will give it the look of today's audi's, bmw's, heck most modern mid to high end vehicles have them now. But the difference is that there are different and unique plastics incorporated into the brake housing that make the LED's reflect in such an attractive manner.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
LED's won't work in our cars, or imo, look good because the light housings weren't made for LED's. Simply putting LED's behind the clearly dated 90's era brake assembly's just won't look right. I would think that the thought of installing these LED's in our svx's will give it the look of today's audi's, bmw's, heck most modern mid to high end vehicles have them now. But the difference is that there are different and unique plastics incorporated into the brake housing that make the LED's reflect in such an attractive manner.
Agreed.... That's why you gut the housing!!!
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Agreed.... That's why you gut the housing!!!
Agreed Freeman!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

See, someone stated that they had to gut the housing and I'm a little troubled as well as worried to do a major modification like this one without knowing all the details.. I don't want this to backfire especially since I loooove my SVX..
Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 AM

simply gutting the housing isn't enough, look at today's brake lights, there is a lot of reflection and refraction going on to get the LED's to appear they way they are, unless you are a talented lighting engineer, its going to be difficult to make the LED's look "right". good luck though!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
simply gutting the housing isn't enough, look at today's brake lights, there is a lot of reflection and refraction going on to get the LED's to appear they way they are, unless you are a talented lighting engineer, its going to be difficult to make the LED's look "right". good luck though!
Chris is right. LED's have a very limited viewing angle. If the housing doesn't have the proper refraction properties, the LEDs will not serve a wide enough viewing angle, and will cause a dangerous situation.
2001 Audi S8
Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Chris is right. LED's have a very limited viewing angle. If the housing doesn't have the proper refraction properties, the LEDs will not serve a wide enough viewing angle, and will cause a dangerous situation.
If you say so... I believe it depends on the type of led's as well as the housing.. Ever have a problem noticing LED's on the back of a trailer? No.. Do they have refracted lenses or housing? No.. The point is, you won't need to see my brake lights at an angle in the first place.. As for the turn signals, They're on the sides of the car as well.. I don't see a problem with being able to view them at all..
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM

Mike is on the right track, I am kind of aluding to that. But in addition to that, I am thinking in pure aesthics. Putting LED's behind our brake lenses, be it "gutted" or what have you, it is still going to look just like that. No matter what you do you aren't going to change the properties of the stock brake lens, so much that it will compliment the LED's. A complete new housing and brake lens would need to be fabricated.

Freeman, you mention the LED's on a trailer, BINGO, that's pretty much what I am trying to say, you do that to your brake lens and it will look just like that. Like you put LED's behind your stock brake lens. I know this is just my opinion, and I think it would like out of place. But I just would hate to see you go through that effort, expecting the rear lights to look like today's cars with LED's. But if that's what you want, and that's what you like, enjoy!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

No, your trying to help and giving your honest opinion and I greatly appreciate that! Thanks for your honesty and concern. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Although I'm also looking to argue the point to make sure it is either good or bad to do..

Do these look hard to see to you?

Can barley tell they're there during the day..

Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 AM

i try to stay out of these topics, but here goes.

There is a guy on DSMTuners that did his whole taillight bar in LEDs

Here is what it looks like.
http://www.rcaz.com/movieclips/led_demo.wmv

and this:
http://www.rcaz.com/movieclips/eclipse2.1.mpg

His website
http://www.rcaz.com/default_automotive.htm

Dave is a huge asset to the DSM community when i t comes to custom lighting.

BTW he designed, built and did all the animation programing for this, and i should also add that these lights without the animation controler work just fine as normal tails/blinkers/brake lights when only hardwired to the cars harness.

1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White 102,000 miles (Gone)

2005 Evolution 8 SSL Tarmac Black (new daily)

1995 Eclipse GSX Durango Copper Pearl (teh beast)
276awhp/280awtq @ 18psi (560's inj)
260awhp/260awtq @ 17psi (stock inj)
Old 01-12-2009, 12:04 PM
AWD..... NOTHING COMES CLOSE

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSVXCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
No, your trying to help and giving your honest opinion and I greatly appreciate that! Thanks for your honesty and concern. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Although I'm also looking to argue the point to make sure it is either good or bad to do..

Do these look hard to see to you?

Can barley tell they're there during the day..

I think those looks great. It also seems to me that it has LED directionals.
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L #5045 Dark Teal
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon Gray (SOLD)
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Black Ruby (SOLD)
1969 Subaru 360 Deluxe Ivory White
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Teal Metallic (SOLD)
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Rally Blue Pearl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Those do look pretty good, I remember when the guy who did those. That was a complete custom job. Meaning he didn't use the motorsport ones. Looks pretty good.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM
AWD..... NOTHING COMES CLOSE

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSVXCrazy

These could make nice reverse lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1156-...Q5fAccessories
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L #5045 Dark Teal
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon Gray (SOLD)
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Black Ruby (SOLD)
1969 Subaru 360 Deluxe Ivory White
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Teal Metallic (SOLD)
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Rally Blue Pearl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

At least we're thinking positivly.. See how they aren't clear in the back when they're turned off.. They look almost stock except for when your looking for it. Although it's completly custom, there has to be a pre-made unit that could look almost similar to that, right?