Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Re: Finally have an SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricter View Post
I'm not opposed to directional wheels at all, I just have something against the stockers. I might have to look up the Stealth wheels. 8.5" is nothing to scoff at (I just had a mental "that's what she said" moment).

Edit: Just did a GIS for them. No likey. I think it's the large, off-color centercaps that I don't like. On both the stockers I have and the R/T wheels. Or maybe I'm in denial about hating directional wheels, I dunno.

No spacers. Can't run them with dual-drilled wheels anyway. At least not the ones that I've seen.
Yeah... I am not a fan of the black center caps, either... but If I wanted stock-looking wheels, larger in diameter, and in width... I'd get 'em, and paint/powdercoat them to match, anyway, and the center-caps wouldn't have a logo, and would match the wheel color.

But Ideally, I'd go with BBS CO in 17", or the similar CH in 18" diameter. I would LOVE to see those on an SVX, especially one lowered just a touch in the front. There is a single 5x114.3 fitment of each of those, in those diameters, that meets the stats for the SVX.

I like the way 18s look on the car... but living with 18"s on my Legacy... the harshness of the low-pro tires, and it's underdamped suspension has gotten slightly irritating. Even moreso since getting to know how smoooooth the SVX is, without being a luxo-barge that wallows and rolls.

I think I'd be tempted to stick with 17"s, and some nicely wide tires. I've never been a big fan of the stretched-tire under-size look that some people use to fit low-pro tires. If anything, tires should be wider than the rims they are mounted on.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Registered SVX

I haven't updated this in ages.

Recent developments:

Car sat for some time after trashing the front diff. It has since been upgraded to a low mileage 4.44 setup.

It now sports these:

They'll be repainted or powdercoated a more appropriate color (not sure what yet) soon. I got a killer deal on these because of the color, and the multiple layers of color under that.

The care smells horribly of burnt fluids, exhaust, previous owners and cigarette smoke; so I've begun a thorough cleaning:

After I have the interior fully scrubbed own I intend to have the carpet professionally cleaned. If it still looks aged, which I imagine it will, I'll try the DIY carpet dyeing I've seen described here on the forums. If dyeing the carpet black goes well, I'll try the same on the cloth armrests.

Then I'll address the leaking rear exhaust (at the donut gasket) by replacing the catback. The previous owner removed and disposed of the trunk drain plugs, hence the exhaust fumes from the leaking muffler. I'm ordering replacements for those and new taillight gaskets next week. I'm trying to keep the interior as nice looking and smelling as possible as this car is starting to finally see daily driving duty.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Registered SVX

Interior has been scrubbed repeatedly. All carpeting has been thoroughly steam cleaned and let to dry in our nice 100+ degree weekend. All in all, it's 50% reassembled, and the car finally smells brand new!

Car is at the exhaust shop right now, and I"m eagerly awaiting the call to go pick it up!

New paint color has been picked out for the red wheels, just need some cooperative weather to get a chance to redo them.

I'm thrilled that I'm finally getting some traction on this project! Thrilled I say!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 AM

Registered SVX

correct if Im wrong, but are you installing those red bbs's on a green svx Any photos of the freshly cleaned carpet. I steam clean mine in the car, but I suppose it is easier to clean out of the car. I just take out both front seats and use the Bissell home cleaning machine with the attachment hose and small brush and it comes out pretty clean, but the best part is it smells great afterwards.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
correct if Im wrong, but are you installing those red bbs's on a green svx Any photos of the freshly cleaned carpet. I steam clean mine in the car, but I suppose it is easier to clean out of the car. I just take out both front seats and use the Bissell home cleaning machine with the attachment hose and small brush and it comes out pretty clean, but the best part is it smells great afterwards.
Yeah, they're on a green car, or Dark Teal to be exact. It's not as bad as I expected though and it's only temporary. My next project is to strip and repaint them. I still haven't gotten a good picture of them on the car, but I plan to. I'd like to be able to remember the brief existence of the Christmas car in the future.

I chose to remove the carpet so I could clean and deodorize underneath. I wanted to be sure I scrub down the metal floors, and check for any possible holes or openings that might need to be plugged. I was getting sick of exhaust gases finding their way into the cabin.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
correct if Im wrong, but are you installing those red bbs's on a green svx

ho ho ho, needs some of these .....

congrats on doing it right - sorting out the issues first instead of slapping a cold air intake and exhaust on it.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Registered SVX

- Interior has been completely re-installed. The SVX interior now looks cleaner and nicer than the one in my 05 WRX.

- The exhaust system from the y-pipe, that was once the catalytic converter, back has been replaced. Not a single exhaust rattle remains. So beautiful.

- Adjusted the TPS from its previous 0.21 vdc to a more appropriate 0.50 vdc. I was not expecting that to have made such a noticeable improvement, but my god did it! The car is tons more driveable, and the shifts on the 4.44 almost as smooth as stock.

- Replacement front sway bar bushings have been purchased and should be here in time for this weekend's round of fun. Maybe I can get around to wheel painting if the weather cooperates too.

Last edited by Ricter; 08-16-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Registered SVX

Sounds like you got a nice car Pictures would be nice really nice
Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Registered SVX

+1 I would love to see pics of a Dark Teal SVX with Red Rims
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM

Registered SVX

Unfortunately (in some opinions) I never managed to get pictures of the car in its red wheeled glory. I do however have some pictures of the wheels in different stages of stripping and painting.

Partially stripped: Yes, I did roll around with two of them like this for about two weeks:

Further along:

And the final product:

Old 10-27-2011, 08:41 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Now THAT looks good! Well done.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Can you post one with the finished wheels on the car? I am curious to see them since I am thinking of painting mine. Is that a dark gray metallic?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Can you post one with the finished wheels on the car? I am curious to see them since I am thinking of painting mine. Is that a dark gray metallic?
It's Rustoleum Black Night Metallic.