Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
This trans runs hot all the time though. I don't know. It seems to operate fine otherwise. I'm going to get the line pressure checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
I would reckon that it has to do with the large amount of power, that it is trying to harness.

It may be worth locking the converter up, when you get up to speed, in the gear, that you are doing the run. You can do it by applying 12V to the B solenoid wire at the trans plug, pin 5.

Harvey.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Punctuality

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
Man, what a waste of a day. I was 20 minutes late for my dyno appointment and the mastro guys made me reschedule and now the bradenton track is rained out.
Punctuality is a personal virtue, but a business necessity. Instead of saying they "made you reschedule", how about "I missed my appointment and had to schedule another"?

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
He's just building the suspense to astronomical levels.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Just some dude.

I understand about keeping utilization up; however, i have sat and waited for lengths at many times to help them do that. To be honest I didn't appreciate their not returning the courtessy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Punctuality is a personal virtue, but a business necessity. Instead of saying they "made you reschedule", how about "I missed my appointment and had to schedule another"?

Lee
Old 07-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
It's alright, I am gonna go out and drink it off Do you know when you can get back there??

Tom
Old 07-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Did you get another appointment setup?

Tom
Old 07-29-2006, 10:08 AM

Question Testing??

Mike,

Will you be testing the upgraded 12 lb configuration or the 9 lb configuration that you'll be sending out with the first units?

Not for nothing, but if your first batch will be the 9's it would help to know what we could expect.

Thanks from Iraq,

Jonathan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Yaaaaa, I just got a call from Mike. He was at the post office and need my address.

You know what that means.... The upgrades are on the way......

On a side note: I ran the AutoX at FedEX Field with the DC SCCA. I'm waiting to see how I did. I think I may have laid waste to a few STi's and an EVO.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Just some dude.

I got to the dyno today. The supercharger system is working fantasically. Their map sensor verified that with the larger pulley made from the 5 inch stock which is what is on my car right now we get a very solid level 12.6 lbs of boost. So now we have the mechanics of the supercharger system completely battened down. The belt system is functioning perfectly as expected with no slip even under the highest of loads.

The engine I have in the car now is running very well just as it did back when it was an oil leaker. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the 3.9 transmission. It's making huge amounts of heat. I can't notice any slipping but something is making that heat. The big transmission oil cooler I put in it is able to control the transmission fluid temps but it is heat soaking the radiator. With the 97 degree air temps here in tampa my engine coolant is running at 210 degrees and at 210 degrees I just can't run as much timing as I can at 184. As is I got a nice pretty plot and 230 wheel hp (on the screen I did't get any print outs). I have the software dialed in except for the last two collumns of the timing table where I want to get back to running more timing. I have a very good idea where it should be and what I want I just want to be able to verify it on a propperly functioning car.

I need to get this transmission heat problem under control before I'm going to be able to get the #'s I want to out of this car. My next step is going to be to check the line pressure. If it's bad then solenoid a is probably bad and there's slipping and that explains everything. In which case I should be able to grab the solenoid out of my other trans and swap it in for an instant fix. If it's not I'll put an atf cooler with a fan in the fenderwell so the hot transmission stops effecting my tuning and worry about the trans later.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVX PlayBoy
230 HP is just a baseline right? because for that money, i was expecting more towards 300 or so awhp.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Just some dude.

last time was 270 at the wheels and we are measuring the higher than last time airflows we expected thanks to the exhaust and belting upgrades. My expectations haven't changed since the last dyno runs. I expect it will end up around 290 at the wheels with this crank pulley as i explained after the 1st set of dyno runs.

how much stuff costs has nothing to do with what it puts out. I didn't go through explaining what's going on with the transmission to make excuses. This is what I'm dealing with. I have to get the driveline working propperly and holding the power before I can finalize the software and acurately measure the results.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I think that LAN alluded to the reduced power output being due to the higher engine coolant temperatures he's seeing because of the high temperatures caused by his tranny. The higher engine temperatures require pulling back timing, and power is lost.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVX PlayBoy
I understand and totally appreciate all the work you have put into this. I was just asking what you were shooting for power wise, and how much tuning you planned on doing. Can this tuning be changed for those that may want a different map?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Just some dude.

it sounds like you missed the original dyno runs that were done before the belting was finalized. You may want to go back some pages in this thread to catch up. It's pretty darn clear where the power output will end up. When i look at the plots and I look at the ignition timing during the runs I can very clearly see what is going on. Everything adds up and there is no reason to think other than I do. As far as how much tuning I am going to do, I've pretty much already done it all. The only thing left is the last 2 columns of the timing table which set the timing for full load, full throttle operation. That's nothing. I just need the car functioning propperly to set them exactly right just like everything else already is.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Mike,
based on my last experience at Altered Atmosphere's AWD dyno, I'd agree with you that you've got transmission issues 40 hp down from your last pulls - given what you've accomplished with the s/c and chip since then - points to something wrong between the engine and the wheels. Funny how slippage (i.e. heat) won't show up during everyday driving like it will when you get the car on the rollers.
Good luck straightening out the trans.
-Bill
p.s. might want to remind everyone that we're looking at somewhere between 20 and 30% drivetrain loss between the engine flywheel and the tires (i.e. 290 at the wheels is ~365 hp or more at the engine flywheel)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker