Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 AM

ABS light on dash

Started my car today and ABS light lit up shortly after starting before driving off.
During it's recent service the dealer commented that the brake pads were quite low.
Just wondering if low brake pads would cause an ABS error to occur.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 AM

Registered SVX
Re: ABS light on dash

I don't think low pads will cause the light. If your pads are low, your brake fluid is probably also low which will trigger the light.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I don't think low pads will cause the light. If your pads are low, your brake fluid is probably also low which will trigger the light.
Low fluid will light the brake warning light not the ABS light. The ABS computer is under the passenger seat. There's a little flap in the carpet you can lift to see it. On it is a light that will flash a code. I forget the procedure but it's on this site somewhere.

P.S. Here's the link to the PDF file. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53999

Last edited by Blacky; 11-15-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Check and make sure the ABS relay isn't stuck on. It can drain your battery and causes the ABS light to come on.
To fix the relay, usually just taking the ABS cover off and tapping it with a wrench (or some other weighty metal tool) will get it unstuck, otherwise you can just replace the relay.
It may not be the relay, so definitely check the flashing code under the passenger seat.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I always get confused. Is the ABS the airbag or the brake system?

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
ABS = Antilock Braking System
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
SRS = safety restraint system = airbags.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
SRS = safety restraint system = airbags.

Supplemental Restraint System actually.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Supplemental Restraint System actually.
Ok. ..........
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Make sure they did not damage your abs sensor or the tone wheel. That can cause an ABS light. My tone wheel was cracked and gave me the light.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:55 PM

Wink Re: ABS light on dash

Just recently 4 months ago I replaced my front Brake Calipers and disc. They were horrible. Prior to this work my ABS light was always on but after driving 110 miles it finally turned off.
Fluid and everything was/is good. It takes a while for the sensor to recognize newly replaced brakes, or the sensor is just showing it's age. Hehe.

CORRECTION here: It's been less than 150 miles that the ABS dash light turned off.

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 01-07-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Recalculation...
Old 01-07-2019, 12:18 AM

Does the ABS light illuminate when you turn the car on?

This was a problem on my previous SVX, the ABS bulb (and a few other bulbs) had blown. I had to pull the indicator plane and replace all the blown bulbs before I found out that I really had an ABS problem, then could start diagnosing it.

I don't think the ABS system cares about new calipers or discs. When you say they where in bad shape, what had happened to them, what type of damage?

(Unrelated to the blown ABS bulb,) I had a bad wheel bearing result in a lot of play for the wheel, this results in my calipers rubbing against the disc, it also resulted in the tone wheel hitting the ABS sensor, bending the tip very slightly. I was able to fix this be removing the ABS sensor shim, getting the sensor back within the specified distance from the tone wheel.

Good luck!
Ian.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 AM

Smile Re: ABS light on dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
Does the ABS light illuminate when you turn the car on?

This was a problem on my previous SVX, the ABS bulb (and a few other bulbs) had blown. I had to pull the indicator plane and replace all the blown bulbs before I found out that I really had an ABS problem, then could start diagnosing it.

I don't think the ABS system cares about new calipers or discs. When you say they where in bad shape, what had happened to them, what type of damage?

(Unrelated to the blown ABS bulb,) I had a bad wheel bearing result in a lot of play for the wheel, this results in my calipers rubbing against the disc, it also resulted in the tone wheel hitting the ABS sensor, bending the tip very slightly. I was able to fix this be removing the ABS sensor shim, getting the sensor back within the specified distance from the tone wheel.

Good luck!
Ian.
Yes, I have done this too. Very aware of it's function. I had corrosion on the points that I cleaned off a looong time ago.
I must disagree on the ABS *Not Caring* about the calipers and discs....discs were warped, deeply grooved, overheated and dangerously off the spec. (THIN!!)
Calipers, all boots were cracked or missing, pistons were frozen from rust and moisture getting in to places where it shouldn't be amongst other things I'm forgetting..
That's all severe wear is what I'm saying.
Did the ABS light come on 8 years prior to me replacing them? Yes, all the time when the brake pads wore down to 50% or more.
The severe wear on both rotors and calipers caused the ABS light to stay on permanently even though I'd put new brake pads on.

To prove this point that the ABS light functioned properly when the rotors and calipers were *getting worse* about 4 or 5 years prior to me replacing the rotors/calipers, I was only getting down to 70% wear on brake pads before my ABS light came on.
So, I was getting 10% (ABOUT) wear in caliper/disc every year.

Previous driver was a woman that didn't believe in replacing worn brake pads.. thus, the reason for the overheating of the rotors and deeply grooved. The extra braking due to these bad brake pads caused undue stress on the calipers causing boot wear and piston wear. I've done well, considering.

Extra Note: The "Bleeder Valves" on all four calipers were completely "plugged" with rust and very old grease (rear calipers and bleeder valves not yet replaced) that my new calipers came *pre installed* with. When the fluid in the brake lines can't circulate properly, I believe it causes this ABS light to trip ON.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION: Not since the new calipers/rotors were installed. And I know the light works quite well. I'll be replacing the rear brake calipers in Mid March this year.

My 0.02¢

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 01-07-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Add more