How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Re: SSM for OBD1 and OBD2 SVXs

Is this thread still being watched/updated? I'm picking up a 96 this weekend that I would love to be able to have access to SSM data on in the future.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The ecutuner software/cable pair can work with the OBD2 SVXes, but mike needs to do a little work on the software before it's user-friendly.

The jecscan software was also used, as previously discussed in this thread, but there were other issues.

So basically all the pieces are there, they just need to be put together. :/
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The ecutuner software/cable pair can work with the OBD2 SVXes, but mike needs to do a little work on the software before it's user-friendly.

The jecscan software was also used, as previously discussed in this thread, but there were other issues.

So basically all the pieces are there, they just need to be put together. :/
So what exactly are people looking for? a tool to track and record multiple parameters?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

The reason I ask is that I have been working with Mike to develop a new version of ECUtune that uses strictly Python. My intentions are to develop it for my raspberry pi, but since Python is multi platform it can work on a wide range of machines. If there are features that can be improved upon let me know. I will make a forum later in the ECUtune section.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I have a lot of the ecu and tcu data/definition files for the OBD2 SVXs. The things I really want to see in a software package is the ability to communicate with both OBD1 and OBD2, SSM1 and SSM2, ECU and TCU and to be able to log the data without dropping any data points. The interface is nice if it is better with gauges but, for me, it is all about the data. What can you get and can you log it.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I have a lot of the ecu and tcu data/definition files for the OBD2 SVXs. The things I really want to see in a software package is the ability to communicate with both OBD1 and OBD2, SSM1 and SSM2, ECU and TCU and to be able to log the data without dropping any data points. The interface is nice if it is better with gauges but, for me, it is all about the data. What can you get and can you log it.

What difference are there for SSM 1 vs 2? So basically a way to log data, possible gauge display? I don't have TCU in my car nor do I have access to a SSM 2 car. But I will attempt to see about implementing these with some testing later from other members. As I can't test these functions myself.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:05 PM

Been trying to reply for some time now but was temporarily locked out of the forum. I'm not sure how, but I would love to be able to help with this project. I'm an electrical engineer with some C programming experience (I've not worked with Python but my understanding is that it is very friendly). I also have a 2006 Legacy that can be used for newer SSM communication as well as an OBD2 SVX (although its not running yet). Let me know if/how I can help!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
Been trying to reply for some time now but was temporarily locked out of the forum. I'm not sure how, but I would love to be able to help with this project. I'm an electrical engineer with some C programming experience (I've not worked with Python but my understanding is that it is very friendly). I also have a 2006 Legacy that can be used for newer SSM communication as well as an OBD2 SVX (although its not running yet). Let me know if/how I can help!
No way I would want to attempt to program this in C (I embrace lazy programming, stupid pointers ). I would need to know more details about how the SSM 2 works vs what the SVX uses. If you have information about how they differ that will help.

I will be posting a forum later in the ECU section to have an official forum for this. I was looking for feedback in what people want/need in it. While my initial intention was to make a version specifically for the Raspberry Pi I wired into my SVX, I am sure a full (more resource consuming) version meant for desktops/laptops wouldn't be out of the question.

Using Python has its perks, but I am no where near a complete version yet but it is in the works. Communication and other functions complete at this point. There is still a lot of work to be done, just don't want anyone expecting a complete project yet.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
No way I would want to attempt to program this in C (I embrace lazy programming, stupid pointers ). I would need to know more details about how the SSM 2 works vs what the SVX uses. If you have information about how they differ that will help.

I will be posting a forum later in the ECU section to have an official forum for this. I was looking for feedback in what people want/need in it. While my initial intention was to make a version specifically for the Raspberry Pi I wired into my SVX, I am sure a full (more resource consuming) version meant for desktops/laptops wouldn't be out of the question.

Using Python has its perks, but I am no where near a complete version yet but it is in the works. Communication and other functions complete at this point. There is still a lot of work to be done, just don't want anyone expecting a complete project yet.
Totally agree... pointers are a real pain but embedded system compilers love it. :-(
I've read about the differences of SSM1 and SSM2 (and even SSM3 !) somewhere, let me do some digging and I'll try to get some links together.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tune the OBD2 SVXs, since the ECUTune kit doesn't work with these cars?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Totally agree... pointers are a real pain but embedded system compilers love it. :-(
I've read about the differences of SSM1 and SSM2 (and even SSM3 !) somewhere, let me do some digging and I'll try to get some links together.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tune the OBD2 SVXs, since the ECUTune kit doesn't work with these cars?
I'm not entirely sure. That would be something that would be very delicate because essentially if it can be done and is not done correctly you will have a faulty tuned ECU. Getting that to work would require a lot if it is even possible. I know Phil (I think it was Phil) has worked with the ECU along with Mike. Maybe they can chime in.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM

Okay, got some links for you that may be helpful.

FreeSSM. An open source Select Monitor program. Maybe you can learn something from the source code?

General SSM info. It's on the 2.5RS forums so everything revolves around the Impreza but it's a pretty safe bet that the changes are applicable across the lineup, generally speaking.

More info on SSM1 from a dedicated SVX site. LOADS of information on here for the pre-96 models.

Hope this can help somehow!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Okay, got some links for you that may be helpful.

FreeSSM. An open source Select Monitor program. Maybe you can learn something from the source code?

General SSM info. It's on the 2.5RS forums so everything revolves around the Impreza but it's a pretty safe bet that the changes are applicable across the lineup, generally speaking.

More info on SSM1 from a dedicated SVX site. LOADS of information on here for the pre-96 models.

Hope this can help somehow!
I also have a non-released version of FreeSSM that works with SSM1 in addition to SSM2. I just bought a used, cheap, little laptop I am going to use strictly for working on this stuff. I figure I can load 32bit XP onto it and run all of the old visual C software that is compatible with the source code.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

So basically, yes a program can operate both SSM1 and SSM2 (possibly 3). The issue lies in line voltage and other settings but with proper research and programming can be accomplished. So long as it uses FTDI I don't see a reason why it can't be done.

From what I understand the SSM1 runs on 5V vs the SSM2 running on 12v. While the SSM1 cable can work with SSM2 (theoretically) running a SSM2 cable on a SSM1 will be disastrous as there are no safe guards for increased voltage.

I also remember reading that the SSM1 uses two wires, one for down, one for up where as SSM2 uses only one for bidirectional sending. I will attempt to gather more information and bring it together.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 AM

Reading this jogged my memory. I'm fairly certain SSM3 uses CAN bus protocol but I can't seem to find anything to back that up right now.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Reading this jogged my memory. I'm fairly certain SSM3 uses CAN bus protocol but I can't seem to find anything to back that up right now.
I remember reading that on the impreza site