Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX
20/13 Cruise - I'd like a head count if there is interest

I'm willing to map out a cruise route for the 20/13. I would like a head count as to who all would be interested in going on a cruise. Possibles right now are a scenic cruise to Skyline Drive/Pagoda (with a stop at the Pagoda for photo ops if interested), or a cruise to Victory Brewing in Downingtown (10-15 miles down Rt. 100). Rt. 100 is very twisty, and pretty decent roadway (55 most of the way), and makes for some fun, spirited driving. The route to the Pagoda would be somewhat longer (20-25 miles each way), but would consist of mainly paved back roads and very few traffic lights. I also want to include designated rally points/stops in case anyone gets behind the group.

The plan is to map something out and post the route guide prior to the show (or email to the participants). I would also like to bring extra printed copies along for any stragglers who may want to join the cruise late (or last minute).

I intend to invest a great deal of time and effort (not to mention gas to travel the route), so I would prefer to know in advance if there is any interest at all, and if it is a definite yay or nay as to who is participating. If I am going to do this, I want to do it properly, and in a fashion that everyone can have an enjoyable time. If you could, please post below Thanks!

-Brian
Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: 20/13 Cruise - I'd like a head count if there is interest

I'll go

It will be nice to be a follower and not a leader this year

I would also recommend that everyone that has one should bring their FRS radio.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Sounds like a winner to me.

There has to be something special like this to commemorate the 20th anniversary meet. Things like this are better coordinated by members familiar with the area, who can map this out in advance and make adjustments and offer options and sound advice.

Maybe we could map this out to make stop at a scenic point about halfway for a leisurely lunch or early dinner and continue a the drive drive back to the hotel.

This also makes for a great photo op, similar to the covered bridges tour we did back many years ago.

It about time we showed the rest of Pennsylvania what an SVX is; The Morgantown hotel staff already knows this.

The drive up Skyline Drive will test your transmission and the trip down will test your pads and rotors. elevation up to about 1200 ft. Grade ranges between 3-10%

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 03-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 PM

Registered SVX

20th anniversary, all stops pulled. Hmmm :think:

I ***may*** be able to get in touch with someone who could possibly get us access to the firetower on Skyline Drive. Its a verrrrry long shot, but it ***may*** be possible. Photo op from the observation deck down to the cars parked below in a pattern

I'll do some investigating into that tomorrow. The firetower is open for tourists normally on the weekends, but I'm not sure the dates and the hours. I know a bunch of guys in the local hillclimb racing scene here though, and they usually know how to get in touch with someone (the firetower is open for all the races up there).

Another thought is maybe I could get the local WRX group involved, a bunch of them run the hill climbs, and I have another friend who knows a group of them IIRC.

Once I see more interest though in the cruise, I'll start mapping a route. Funny you should mention covered bridges, my route to Skyline crosses at least 1, if not 2

Also to add: I do agree with the FRS radio idea. I meant to post something about that but forgot Thanks for that :thumbsup:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I will do the cruise but as long as it is not too long. I don't want a 2 hour cruise.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 AM

Registered SVX

Depending on how many people we have, I'll try and plan accordingly for time. The trip to the Pagoda/Skyline Dr. and back with a stop for photos would be about 2 hours I estimate. (45 minutes to/from tops, and 30 minutes minimum for the photo op). However, a cruise to Victory Brewing for lunch/cold microbrew beer would be 25 minutes or so to/from, and however long everyone wants to stick around. Be awesome to get a group shot with the Victory Brewing sign in the background
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I'm in depending on the day as I am not sure what days I will be there.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Registered SVX

4 total so far (not including myself). Anyone else? I'll update with a list as we get more people posting. I figure time and date would probably be sometime mid afternoon (around 1-2 pm) Saturday to start, back by no later than 5 pm. Or we could stop and do dinner somewhere on the way back. If anyone wants to start earlier, its possible as well and we could do lunch instead of dinner.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Nevermind. I got my answer. I would be up for a cruise.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Man i was thinking Va. Didn't know there was a Skyline Drive in Pa. I'm up for it.
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnmaniac View Post
Man i was thinking Va. Didn't know there was a Skyline Drive in Pa. I'm up for it.
Yup Here's an idea of what the most of the hill is like (starting from the firetower down to city park

http://pahillclimb.net/wp-content/up...04/Readin2.jpg

Now imagine doing that at 110+ mph

There is also the Reading Pagoda up there ( http://www.pagodaskyline.org/ ) that is usually open for tours.

Here's more info on the firetower as well: http://www.pagodaskyline.org/tower/

Last edited by DiabloScoobyru; 03-29-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added info/url for firetower
Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
soup IS good food

Registered SVX

I'm always in for a drive.
'89 XT6
'08 Impreza
'18 Crosstrek

Totaled
'98 LGT ~180K
'97 OBW ~185k
'93 SVX Less Reddish

Sold
'89 XT6
'04 VDC Sedan

Parts
'89 XT6
'96 SVX
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Registered SVX

I'd be up for it. Not 100% if I'll have an SVX there this year, and it seems unlikely but I'd be up for it either way. Even if I have to tag at the back of the pack
Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 AM

Registered SVX

The more the merrier Nate, even sans SVX

On another note, I talked to my buddy tonight and asked about getting in touch with someone who could open the firetower possibly. He told me to get in contact with (iirc) the head of the local SCCA club, and that he should know who controls the tours and what the hours of op are.

If everyone is into doing a Skyline Drive run to the Pagoda/firetower, with stop for food, etc along the way I can start mapping out a good scenic route that avoids stop lights/signs as much as possible, while keeping in mind that time and distance are a factor (it was mentioned about not wanting to do a 2 hour cruise) to consider. There would be, off the top of my head, 2 small sections of highway to run but mostly in rural parts (rt 73 for a few miles, and rt 100 to rt 724).

On an unrelated matter (but still related to the meet), while talking with my buddy, we started discussing the "raffle" and the different "prizes". He mentioned possibly being able to chip in a set of Hella Supertone horns (before anyone asks, they are real Supertones, there is no longer a Made in India/Made in Germany issue, as they are all made in India as of 5-6 years back) or a set of Optilux driving lamps, etc through his family's business. We also talked about a 10% discount (pos. club?) on anything ordered from them (excluding HANS devices and tires) in the future. These guys are one of the largest warehousing distributors for Hella on the East coast (not counting Hella's own PTC outlet). I have to talk with his dad tomorrow and see what kind of a deal I can work out. If we can generate enough people for future events, they may even be willing to sponsor yearly with some sort of product (they deal Sparco, Terratrip, Valeo, and tons more, anything racing related or lighting related they have ). These are the guys that supply me in my side business. I bought my 9012 HIR bulbs from them, and am soon planning to get the 9011s for high beam (excellent and cheaper alternative to "HID" kits).

-Brian
Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: 20/13 Cruise - I'd like a head count if there is interest

I'm in. I suggest a wine tasting fest at the finish line.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.