Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Oh No, What Did I Do?

Well, I replace the PCV valve today, by removing the intake mainfold. I also removed the alternator and that large plastic ductwork at the back of the engine with all the hoses attached to it. While I had that off I spayed the throttle bodies with a carb cleaner. When I put everything back together and went to start the engine, it immediately rev'd to around 3K rpm, ran extremely poorly, and then shut off. I also heard some odd high pitched whine when it was running. I tried to start it a few more times, but each time it would run extremely poorly; I had to keep the accelerator depressed to keep it from cutting out. I checked the connections to the alternator but they look OK.

So. My 1st thought is that maybe I connected some of the hoses to that plastic ductwork wrong. My second thought was that maybe it had something to do with the carb clearner. Other than that, I dont know what I may have done wrong. But I'm real concerned about this. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Larry
Old 07-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Re: Oh No, What Did I Do?

check to make sure you don't have a leak at your intake. Either vacuum hoses or where you unbolted it at the gasket.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

How long did you let it run with the carb cleaner? it will take a little bit to remove it

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 PM

I kept the accelerator down for maybe a minute, between the 3 times I started it. i was concerned about running it longer, thinking that maybe I'm exacerbating the problem. You think I should just let it run poorly, keeping it at a few thousand rpms for a few minutes?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 PM

I just went back out and ran the car for a few minutes. It did run better, no more whine, but I still needed to keep the accelerator down to keep the car at around 2k rpms. But when I let up, it would run rough at below 1K rpm and then cut out. wonder if it would hep if I took it for a drive. May try that tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Sounds like something that was connected is not, recheck all hoses and electrical connectors, carb cleaner should be all gone in seconds of running, may have dislodged some gunk and got stuck somewhere else??............G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Took it for a drive when i got home. It idled poorly, but I was able to get it in drive without it conking out. It drove fine; the problem was when I had to come to a stop, it would surge erratically between 500 and 750 rpm, and came close to turning off. After a few minutes the check engine light came on, which actually, was a relief. I figured now maybe I could figure out what the problem it. I checked the codes and got a 32 and 37 which are the RH and LH side O2 sensors, which I had recently changed. Fortunately, I kept the old ones (I changed them hoping it might help the car idle better. This is what you call irony).

Anyway, I'm a little relieved. I was concerned that I had done some irreparable harm to the engine, but the fact that it drove fine made me feel alot better. I'm hoping that maybe some overzealous throttle body cleaning fouled up the O2 sensors. I'll replace them this weekend and see if that fixes the problem.

Larry
Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM

did you plug the MAF back in?

1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White 102,000 miles (Gone)

2005 Evolution 8 SSL Tarmac Black (new daily)

1995 Eclipse GSX Durango Copper Pearl (teh beast)
276awhp/280awtq @ 18psi (560's inj)
260awhp/260awtq @ 17psi (stock inj)
Old 07-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I would also check that the IAC tubing is connected to the snorkus so that the MAF reads the proper amount of air at idle

Tom
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM

Yes, I plugged the MAF back in, and checked that all hoses were connected to that plastic ductwork.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

If that is the case, it is probably just the carb cleaner wreaking havoc on your idle air controller. There is a reason to use throttle body cleaner rather than carb cleaner... It may work itself out or you may have damaged the plastic valve mechanism in the IAC and are causing it to jam... Gonna have to drive it and see if it finds the idle again

Tom
Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I would reclean your TB with TB cleaner, then take it for a good freeway drive. Sometimes gunk can be dislodged from one place and become stuck in a worse place down the line, like the idle valve as mentioned. A long high-speed run should also help burn any crap off of the O2s.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I would also assume it is the IAC that is causing this problem.

My mechanic told me long ago, that this specific unit should not be cleaned.. ever. Once you try to clean it, its 'internals' just get messed up and it will never function properly.

You used the carb cleaner which does a job even better than thinner with metal surfaces. I second YT's opinion in this..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM

I'll try the throttle body cleaner tonite. Can the idle air control solenoid valve be removed and inspected to see if I screwed it up?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

did you use new IM gaskets when you put it back together? im thinking a vacuum leak is a possibility...