Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Need Help With Parts

When I saw the total approaching $1200 I did consider buying a whole used engine, but I didn't want to buy more problems. I figure whether the motor has 120K or 190K parts break down. If I need a motor, I will have one stripped down and rebuilt with new and better everything inside.

So onto my next thing:
My car is a 92 ebony with gray leather interior. It could use some paint and clearcoat, but overall the body is in good shape. Its glass has blue tint, but the front window is Bronze tint. I really like the bronze tint on the black. I would like all the glass to be bronze. I would also like the interior to be tan leather. So I been looking for a cheap SVX with said glass and interior. Is this crazy of me to want to swap glass and interiors? I priced the glass new, and it is like $2,000. I could get a running SVX for that price.. Anyways, this is a project for another day. Just looking for opinions.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Between the cost of an engine rebuild, getting all of the bronze glass together, plus installation AND the complete tan interior swap, it would be a lot more cost-effective to look for a black 1994 and up SVX.

Mike621 has a 1992 Claret (that had gray interior). He completely swapped over the entire tan interior form a wrecked 1997 car. This project is not for the faint-of-heart.

But his claret came from the factory with bronze glass (the only color ever offered with bronze glass and gray interior.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Registered SVX

This is the car I was thinking of switching glass and interiors with:

1997 LSI: Price $1500/obo, and only 1 state away from me.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51597

Glass:

Interior:

No one here has bought it yet, no doubt because of the vehicle history (see attached).
I am looking at it as a parts car, so I don't care that it is screwed up.
I have looked at that thread everyday since I bought my SVX. I mean getting parts is only going to get harder, right?

Are the engines the same in the 97's as in the 92's?
97's have ODBII and Different ECU, right?
Basically, if I wanted to rip the cams out of it and send them off to delta for regrind, would they work in my 92?
If I wanted to have the heads worked on, could I then bolt them to my 92?
Is the exhaust compatible?

The fact that I don't know answers to questions like these leads me to believe that I should not get involved in trying to do any of this...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AUTOCHECK for 1997 LSI - PARTS CAR (NY).pdf (60.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: pdf CARFAX for 1997 LSI - PARTS CAR (NY).pdf.pdf (143.8 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Previous owner records show he did "Cam Plugs" when he did the timing belt tensioner. is that the same thing?

The box of parts got with the car included 2 cam seals and a crank seal that he didn't use. How many cam seals are on the car, 4?

Yeah I was on this page:
http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ategory=013-A1

But I don't see anything that says Seals or gaskets.
Is it the washer set (part 3)?

These are the Cam Seals that were in the box of parts I got with the car. I looked up the model number on the subaruparts site but its not their part number.

http://www.bestvalueautoparts.com/it...RNLEY&weight=3

It says 1996-1996, is this part even compatible with my 92?

Edit:
lhopp77 thanks for the info and the part number. I didn't see your post until i posted this.
First let me be very clear--I do not claim to be a highly qualified SVX mechanic even though I do a lot of work on my SVXs. But, I have access to parts manuals and shop manuals.

There are 2 cam seals and 2 cam plugs on our engines. The intake cams get plugs and the exhaust cams (with the timing belt sprockets) get seals.

What most of us generally call the crank seal is actually the oil pump seal which mounts IN the oil pump on the front of the crank. The front of the crank goes through the oil pump.

Again, in my opinion crank and cam seals are things to replace ONLY when doing the timing belt UNLESS there are significant leaks.

Part numbers:

Intake cam plugs (2): 807045030
Exhaust cam seals (2): 806732050
Oil Pump Seal (1): 806733010

Note: Subaru part numbers do change, but if you type in these numbers any changes should be reflected.

I cannot comment on aftermarket seals other than I did not have good luck with aftermarket hub seals. They did not fit correctly, so I will ONLY buy Subaru seals.

Leee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 03-19-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Do not ever thing of buying a 97 and destroy it. 97's are really rare cars, they should be preserved at all cost.

I would tell you destroy the 92 and keep the 97 if you HAVE TO destroy any of these two.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Registered SVX

Problem with that 97 is that it has been in 3 left side rear end accidents.
It has undercarriage damage.
Its ODO failed rollback check on title issue.
Its record checks on both carfax and autocheck says it was registered in 2 different places that the owner says it wasn't.
One of the accidents was bad enough that it ended up at auto auction.

I too do not want to destroy a 97...but it sounds like its destroyed already. Even the guy selling it says its better as a parts car.
If it was not a 97 I would have already bought it and stripped its interior.

If it ends up on ebay, you know its going to get stripped for parts anyways..
Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Registered SVX

lhopp77, Thanks for the parts numbers. I saved them to a notepad for future.

The box of extra parts has 2 cam seals, and 1 crank seal. So I guess all I would need would be 2 cam plugs, which were changed the last time the previous owner did the timing belt (14K ago).