Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 AM

My '92 Transmission just went (no 4th gear, 1-3 slip)... Japanese Tranny question

Howdy all, first post as I just bought a '92 svx with 135,000 miles in January. I was driving a lil hard on Friday and upon restarting the car an hour later I had no reverse. I went for a drive and had gears 1-4 on the highway. I parked and reverse came back but when I got back on the highway 4th gear was gone and has remained missing ever since and gears 1-3 rev almost to redline before switching. If I put the gear shifter in 1st then 2nd and so on the car shifts better and on time but still no 4th. Is my tranny done, or does it sound like it could be something else?

I found a local shop that imports engines and trannys from japan. I am going to have one hopefully installed on tuesday, however they mentioned "BECAUSE THE JAPAN TYPE GEAR RATIO IS DIFFERENT WITH AMERICAN GEAR RATIO ( REAR DIFFERENTIAL ) , YOU MUST REMOVE THE 4WD FUSE TO USE AS 2WD"... does this mean the car will be FWD only now or can I make it RWD only? any work around to keep the car AWD or am I stuck? Also can I make the car RWD? Thanks in advance.

-Neil
Old 02-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: My '92 Transmission just went (no 4th gear, 1-3 slip)... Japanese Tranny question

Neil, be very careful here.

The Japanese type gearbox is called a VTD box and is different from the USA type which is the ACT-4 gearbox.

They are correct in pointing out the different final drive ratio to you, but they are very wrong in telling you to remove the fuse and drive in 2wd mode.

The US type transmission computer [referred to usually as the TCU] will not properly operate the Japanese type gearbox because of the fact that the gearboxes operate differently, particularly the solenoid valve unit that controls the rear drive for the US cars.

Don't buy that box or you are on the road to serious grief. There are lots of threads about this problem. Read up about it before you go any further.

Just marking your card.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 02-07-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 AM

Re: My '92 Transmission just went (no 4th gear, 1-3 slip)... Japanese Tranny question

Thanks! what are my options at this point? In your opinion are my symptoms related to a failing transmission? Could I get a Japanese TCU or flash the US one? Any help at this point would be appreciated as I dont want to scrap the car but will if the tranny is done (ie I dont want to spnd more than $1500 to fix it). Thanks again!

-Neil
Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

It sounds a lot like the brake band is slipping. The brake band connects 2nd and 4th gear.

With the mileage you could also have other problems in the gearbox such as clutches burnt out. However you might consider looking up the how to documents at the top and seeing if tightening up your brake band may temporarily restore your gears. It's worth a try but to be honest it sounds like you may have burnt off the friction material from the band when giving it stick.

In theory installing a Japanese TCU [of the same vintage, later ones had incompatible changes!] should work with the VTD gearbox. To the best of my knowledge nobody has done it yet, so there may be challenges there in the installation that would make it difficult for you. A different length rear prop shaft comes to mind.

If your gearbox is toast [probably, unfortunately] a far better solution for you is to source a 4.444 gearbox from a Legacy or a Forester with the required change in the rear diff as well. This change is well documented here and works wonders. It should also prove to be cheaper than a rebuild, but being out of state I can't quote numbers for you.

Check with svxfiles [OT] he'll steer you right.

Joe

BTW, you are very welcome on the Network. Fix your car, they are worth having.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-07-2010, 07:32 AM

Thanks again for the reply! Are any of the things you mentioned fairly easy for me to attempt myself (ie brake band tightening) and even the tranny swap? I dont have many tools or a professional jack. With a legacy or forester 4.444 tranny what will I be looking for pricewise installed? also will any year work? Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

At this point your trans is more than likely past an nut adjusting point. If you want to try it, check the how to documents I believe its in there.

go to www.car-part.com and look for a tranny from a 96 subaru legacy auto. they will automatically show you other compatable years. While your at it, look for the "Carrier" or "differential" too. you should be able to pick up both pieces for around $500...always depends on availability.

There is also the option of buying a rebuilt transmission from longassname. look him up and check his website. You can get a rebuilt tranny for 1k plus shipping.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 02-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

There is a how to for the brake band tightening.
Link

You could do it yourself if you are handy with spanners, but I would advise getting a mechanic friend to help you using the above information. Over loosening could cause the band to drop off and require the box coming out.

As mentioned I can't advise on price.

Also I mentioned you need to talk to Tom Krynock, svxfiles about this swap. He can answer all your questions including likely cost. Plus if need be he could do the job for you.
svxfiles locker

Tom is in WV so he is not too close to you I know, but you will find he'll give you all the advice you need.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-07-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by customesp View Post
TAny help at this point would be appreciated as I dont want to scrap the car but will if the tranny is done (ie I dont want to spnd more than $1500 to fix it).
The shop you mentioned was going to import and install a transmission for <$1500?

dcb
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
The shop you mentioned was going to import and install a transmission for <$1500?

dcb
yup 500 for the tranny and 500 for the installation.... just checked my tranny fluid looks fine... might try tightening the band later today, if not shes going to the dealership tom morning for a look.

Last edited by customesp; 02-07-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:00 PM

buy my 92 SVX for 800 and take the trans out for your car.
lol

1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White 102,000 miles (Gone)

2005 Evolution 8 SSL Tarmac Black (new daily)

1995 Eclipse GSX Durango Copper Pearl (teh beast)
276awhp/280awtq @ 18psi (560's inj)
260awhp/260awtq @ 17psi (stock inj)
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siceclipse View Post
buy my 92 SVX for 800 and take the trans out for your car.
lol
Does it run? Give me a call if you're serious... 908-947-8314 i might need another for parts. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Does it run? Give me a call if you're serious... 908-947-8314 i might need another for parts. Thanks!
don't turn a running car into a parts car, seriously. It is possible to do a trans R&R in your driveway. Find a 4.44 with matching rear and you'll more than likely never have to worry about the trans again...
Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
don't turn a running car into a parts car, seriously. It is possible to do a trans R&R in your driveway. Find a 4.44 with matching rear and you'll more than likely never have to worry about the trans again...
How long would it take with one man and no professional tools?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
How long would it take with one man and no professional tools?
took me a 2 days... mocked up a trans jack out of a plain old floor jack. Not saying its the safest thing in the world or proper way, but I've done it and previous experience was just oil changes and brakes. The hardest part is the actual dropping of the old trans and putting in the new simply due to the weight of the auto trans-roughly 200 lbs I believe. All the rest can be done with a basic ratchet and socket set and maybe open ended wrenches. 10, 12, 14, 17, and 22mm(3/4") sockets are all you need. Also, I did it in 40 degree temps in October here in Wisconsin. If you have a garage and a space heater/propane heater, it would make it even easier...

Edit: here's some step by step instructions on removal of the trans and putting one back in is just the opposite
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5472

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ission+removal

To make it safer, you can borrow a motorcycle jack from someone if you know anyone or you may be able to rent a trans jack from a place like Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. Then it really would be quite easy

Last edited by 1986nate; 02-07-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Might of found a tranny from a 96 svx for $300... will it be a direct fit? will I also need the rear dif? Should I do it?