Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 AM

JDM Brake pads for the front

I've got EBC number DP691 just want to check before ordering if these are correct. Also can I get confirmation of the oil viscosity required I'm thinking Silkolene Pro 5-30 or 40 for use here in the U.K.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: JDM Brake pads for the front

I don't know enough about EBC codes to help, but the same front pad shape applied for all SVXes from 92-97. Same in all markets as well. So if it says it's for the SVX, it will fit the front.

For the rear pads you need to be a little careful. USA got a solid rear disc and a correspondingly narrower rear caliper, so I would expect their rear pads could be different from ours. However our [UK] rear brake set-up is exactly the same as the Japanese cars [JDM] so if it's listed for a UK model SVX rear pads, it will fit the Japanese one as well.

Regards your oil the owner manual lists either 5-30 [for a temp range of -42C to 0C] or 10-30 or 10-40 covering a range from -26C to +40C.

They state that a lower viscosity oil will be an aid to economy. However, the add a strong caution in bold that:

SAE 5-30 is not recommended for sustained high speed driving

Your Silkolene Pro 5-40 mentioned above covers all the temperature bases and all the viscosity requirements while having better temperature stability than Subaru recommended.

I'd go with that one if you are not daunted by the price of it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks again for your help, I'm pretty sure the pads are correct as they offer a greenstuff upgrade which is probably not worth the extra money as I've heard from one or two sources that they are very dusty.
I have a few 5 litre containers of the Silkolene left over from my Vehi-Cross/Pajero Evolution bulk purchase many years ago so I'll use it in future.
(the RX7 runs on mineral oil which is changed every 2-2500 miles)
Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm envious you had a Vehi Cross. They're quirky and singular of purpose and I like them.

I had a look at the spreadsheet for the EBC Japanese listing for the SVX. They only have listing for the Greenstuff and the Redstuff, so I presume that is all the shapes of pads they offer. Listings as follows:
  1. Front pads Greenstuff Street sport 2000 or 6000, code DP2691
  2. Front pads Redstuff low dust Superstreet 3000C code DP 3691
  3. Rear pads Greenstuff Street sport 2000/6000 code DP2821
  4. Rear pads Redstuff low dust Superstreet 3000C code DP3821

The 6000 variant of the Greenstuff is apparently a lower dust formula than the 2000.

Personally I would use the Redstuff variant in the absence of the Yellowstuff listing, it's apparently not made in this pad size.

The SVX is generally good to excellent in everything it does, bar one. Everybody who has run one for a while will agree the brakes are total crap for the size and speed of the car. For high speed motorway work you really don't want to be up the chuff of something that has good brakes, you will sweat or you will hit.

Put on the best you can get, if the rotors wear, get better rotors.

Joe

[Interestingly, the USA listing shows the DP2821 for the rears. The pads must be the same shape, even though using a solid not ventilated disc]

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Blast from the past....

When I had my SVX, I tried the greenstuff and found if you press on a bit you get very bad brake fade! Like braking on ice....I went redstuff after that and also put them on my replacement Skyline - very impressive performance!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Hi there Tony!

Hows the Legacy Spec B going?

I'm thinking of changing my work vehicle [ USians call it the Daily Driver, or the Beater ] next year for a Forester. The RVR is no ball of fire, but it is supremely comfortable and practical, plus the tiptronic makes heavy traffic a doddle.

I fancy a Forester Sti, but our punitive import tax duty system here, plus the horrific road tax we pay yearly would turn ownership of an Sti into Death by a Thousand Cuts. Yearly road tax on the SVX at the moment [>3000ccs] is €1566.

What I am thinking about would be the Forester Cross Sports. It has nice equipment, lowered suspension and the power output is good enough for a high mileage car. Don't want to give the Government any more fuel excise duty than I have to!

Sorry DJW. Back on topic. Tony is saying the same thing I'm saying. Buy the Redstuff pads.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-02-2009, 03:04 PM

i agree redstuff is ok
Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Hi there Tony!

Hows the Legacy Spec B going?

I'm thinking of changing my work vehicle [ USians call it the Daily Driver, or the Beater ] next year for a Forester. The RVR is no ball of fire, but it is supremely comfortable and practical, plus the tiptronic makes heavy traffic a doddle.

I fancy a Forester Sti, but our punitive import tax duty system here, plus the horrific road tax we pay yearly would turn ownership of an Sti into Death by a Thousand Cuts. Yearly road tax on the SVX at the moment [>3000ccs] is €1566.

What I am thinking about would be the Forester Cross Sports. It has nice equipment, lowered suspension and the power output is good enough for a high mileage car. Don't want to give the Government any more fuel excise duty than I have to!

Sorry DJW. Back on topic. Tony is saying the same thing I'm saying. Buy the Redstuff pads.

Joe
There's a Forester STi just down the road from me in black and it does look very boxy and clumsy. I tried a Legacy 1998 GTB estate a while back and was very impressed with everything about it considering I'd just jumped out the RX7 and test drove it. Brake pads sorted thanks for all the input.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW svx View Post
There's a Forester STi just down the road from me in black and it does look very boxy and clumsy. I tried a Legacy 1998 GTB estate a while back and was very impressed with everything about it considering I'd just jumped out the RX7 and test drove it. Brake pads sorted thanks for all the input.
Ha Ha, Yeah, that's why I like them. Goes and stops a lot less clumsy than it looks. Does not draw too much police attention, up to a point.

I don't at all like the last facelift model before the new current model.

Not this ugly nosed brute:

but rather this:

or this:

These are 04 versions.

I ran two Legacy twin turbos, they were lovely and useful cars to drive. Thirsty enough, 20 to 22 was typical. Current version does 25 maybe.

Tony's Spec B is the current model GT estate. They no longer have two turbos, but now have variable valve timing and one single twin scroll turbo. Lovely driver, my brother has the saloon version.

Glad you are sorted on the brakes. Remember Redstuff is a harder compound. It will take quite a while for your pads to bed to the shape of the discs, so don't rely on them in the wet for 1000kms or so, just in case.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Cars going really well.

Returns 25-27mpg and almost 30 on a run. Surprises a few beemer drivers!!

Just need the £2k for a godd exhaust system and re-tune to get rid of the awful power gap until 2,400 revs from a standing start - drives me up the wall!

Just fitted some vredestein sessanto tyres - much better ride and grip still seems good - bargain at £90 a corner. Also upgraded the pads to Hawk ceramics - they seem pretty good, but I would rate the redstuff better, altho the Hawk creates less dust

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: