Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Where to get service...

I assume Subaru dealers of course. But then again i almost doubt they know much about this car anyways. Any time i have taken it there they are like wtf. Anyways anyone live near Edmonton Alberta and knows what the hell they are doing in an svx? Let me know if anyone is on here that is skilled with svx maintenance near Edmonton Alberta.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Where to get service...

Find the Subby dealer with the best tech's. There is not a whole lot on the SVX that is that difficult or different from the imprezza or legacy of its generation, so finding someone to get into and know what they see really isn't as hard as it seems

Tom
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Find the Subby dealer with the best tech's. There is not a whole lot on the SVX that is that difficult or different from the imprezza or legacy of its generation, so finding someone to get into and know what they see really isn't as hard as it seems

Tom
i Truly hope you are right Tom. They quoted me for a $12000 exhaust replacement and cracked head gasket. Instead ill buy a a different one for 6000 with newer and better parts...
Old 08-26-2009, 05:40 PM

'tis the reason I do all my own work

six star service
Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

cracked head gasket = cracked head? That means new head which many dealers can consider engine replacement. The head gasket is just that, a gasket. So at minimum you are looking at pulling hte engine, putting new gaskets on the head, possibly milling the heads to true, assuming there's no damage. It's a lot of labor, book time is probably 20+ hours. Since they use genuine OEM subaru parts, they might be tough to come by. Same for exhaust. Factory OEM exhaust I wouldn't be surprised if it ran $2000 installed. Granted, there are better ways to go about it, but that's their instructions, their book time, and their parts. A standard mechanic that knows his way around a car and can adapt knowledge between different cars could probably do the whole job for $2500-3000, including a new exhaust to your specs. Yes, it's unreasonable to spend $12,000 for hte job, but dealers are more epxensive by default, and if hte job is tricky the price gets real high real quick.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 PM

hi the trick with dealers ,most techs in shops today didnt work on theses when they were new ,and dont want to learn the little tricks that make SVX great ,they dont even know how to use SSM 1
in the last few shops ive worked i get them because i own one and went the the 3 day school in 92 for there debut ,cylender heads can be done in the car with out much trouble ,the trick of the back lash cams is the only tricky part
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiemech85 View Post

'tis the reason I do all my own work

six star service
I am mechanically retarded. lol
Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminbreeze View Post
I assume Subaru dealers of course. But then again i almost doubt they know much about this car anyways. Any time i have taken it there they are like wtf. Anyways anyone live near Edmonton Alberta and knows what the hell they are doing in an svx? Let me know if anyone is on here that is skilled with svx maintenance near Edmonton Alberta.
Hi, there are a couple of Subaru dealers in Edmonton.

I have used Rally Subaru and they have done work on 3 of my Subarus. When I bought my SVX I stopped by and they were able to look up my car in there system and show me the work they did on it and remembered the car being there and made comments on the condition. I was pleased with the work they did on my outback (servicing on new car) and my legacy (broken timing belt middle of winter -30C), however, being a dealer you will pay premium for labour and parts. I did not find anyone else in Edmonton/Sherwood Park that specialized in Subaru. Since I do 90% of my own work I did not look very hard.

Red Deer has a dealer, however, I do not know much about them. Calgary has a couple of dealers, been to both. One all the part guys could say was "SVX parts are really really expensive" the part he quoted I could pick up 1/3 the cost by ordering from the US. The other did work on my SVX and I have seen other SVX in their shop.

I would post or have this thread moved to the Canadian Forums to see if any other guys in Alberta post. There is a fair number of these in Edmonton and in Calgary.

You could check/post on the Western (Canada) Subaru Club site. You should be able to find independent shop that do work on Subaru's. There are several shops in Red Deer. I doubt they will have much knowledge of SVX, however, a good Subaru mechanic should be able to address 90% of your needs and what they can not you can find an answer here as this is where most of the experts are.

Kijiji has a listing for a SVX engine $350 from a 97 with 75K km out of Didsbury, it would probably be cheaper having that installed than repairing the one you have especially if you do the work yourself.

Peter