Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 AM

broken radiator? or bad headgasket?

ok so my svx is overheating. my cousin says its the radiator but my friend says its the headgasket. the problem is that on the highways it stays on normal level but when i get out of the highway it starts overheating. when i open the cap from the radiator, there is a white pinkwish mix but when i checked the engine oil is clean. it does not loose that much antifreeze but it still overheating. is there any place where they can test my radiator so i dont have to buy another one? thank you
Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: broken radiator? or bad headgasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilsvx View Post
ok so my svx is overheating. my cousin says its the radiator but my friend says its the headgasket. the problem is that on the highways it stays on normal level but when i get out of the highway it starts overheating. when i open the cap from the radiator, there is a white pinkwish mix but when i checked the engine oil is clean. it does not loose that much antifreeze but it still overheating. is there any place where they can test my radiator so i dont have to buy another one? thank you
I have a similar problem with my Barcelona. I have not found the problem for whats its worth I replaced both my radiator and thermostat and that did not solve my problem. I plan on pulling the engine sometime and see what it could possible be.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Headgaskets, you need to do them

Tom
Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I have a similar problem with my Barcelona. I have not found the problem for whats its worth I replaced both my radiator and thermostat and that did not solve my problem. I plan on pulling the engine sometime and see what it could possible be.
i did changed the thermostat and it did not overheat for like two days but the next day it began the problem again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Headgaskets, you need to do them

Tom
but wouldnt be like antifreeze on the engine oil too? how much do you think will be labor. i already order the parts from subaru

Last edited by evilsvx; 05-03-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
i did changed the thermostat and it did not overheat for like two days but the next day it began the problem again

but wouldnt be like antifreeze on the engine oil too? how much do you think will be labor. i already order the parts from subaru
From what I understand these engines rarely mix engine oil and coolant when they have blown head gaskets.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Maniac modifier

yes, but I have seen it before. It all depends on where the break is in the gasket. Commonly it breaks just outside of the compression ring in the head gasket and leaks compression into the coolant. Other times it can break between oil and coolant jackets and mix the two into eachother or just one into another. Never the less, the gasket is broken or lifted and there is still an issue that requires the repair.

A Headgasket repair is almost all labor. The parts are not terribly expensive but it takes several hours to do it right

Tom
Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
yes, but I have seen it before. It all depends on where the break is in the gasket. Commonly it breaks just outside of the compression ring in the head gasket and leaks compression into the coolant. Other times it can break between oil and coolant jackets and mix the two into eachother or just one into another. Never the less, the gasket is broken or lifted and there is still an issue that requires the repair.

A Headgasket repair is almost all labor. The parts are not terribly expensive but it takes several hours to do it right

Tom
any price quote for labor since you know what would be a fair price. thank you...

Last edited by evilsvx; 05-03-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
any price quote for labor since you know what would be a fair price. thank you...
To replace the head gaskets and rebuild the heads without the cost of parts at our shop is an even $1k. That includes resurfacing the heads if need be, lapping all valves, checking vale guide clearances, replacing valve guide seals, and the actual install of the heads and engine

Tom
Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
To replace the head gaskets and rebuild the heads without the cost of parts at our shop is an even $1k. That includes resurfacing the heads if need be, lapping all valves, checking vale guide clearances, replacing valve guide seals, and the actual install of the heads and engine

Tom
so when i replace the headgasket i have to rebuilt the heads too? i thought it was just machine them
Old 05-04-2009, 10:09 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
so when i replace the headgasket i have to rebuilt the heads too? i thought it was just machine them
It is HIGHLY recommended that the heads be rebuilt, as our cars are all aging and we see MANY cases of worn out valve guide seals. It is highly likely yours are already needing replacement, or will need replacement soon. It would be a shame to spend to have the heads off the motor and the HG done, and then have to do it all over again when you have a guide problem in the near future.

In simple terms, its prudent to have a little preventative maintenance done while the heads are off to avoid future problems, and ensure peace of mind.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

It's one of those "let's just do it while we're in here" things. Like replacing the water pump while you're doing a timing belt job.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I would like to humbly declare a section of I-80 between Sacramento and Truckee "Oops I blew my head gasket" alley. So far in the last 3 weeks, I have successfully diagnosed 14 blown head gaskets, including 5 subies. While writing them up, I always ask "did ya drive with it in the red for very long?", I overwhelmingly get a sheepish "yeah for about ten minutes after I saw it there.."

I get the long climbing grades from sea level to 7000 feet where we are, and that people often neglect their fluids, but seeing the needle pegged into the red and saying "der dee derrrrr" while continuing to climb Donner summit at 70mph makes me shake my head. Ill just keep filling the vial with the blue fluid, watch it turn yellow, and getting their $89 for my 3 minutes of diag..

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Ill just keep filling the vial with the blue fluid, watch it turn yellow, and getting their $89 for my 3 minutes of diag..
That degree of happiness for $89 in 3 minutes... sounds like a self employed person! Congratz!

Keith