How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-01-2002, 10:16 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Tranny Temps

Just took my car to the dealership to get the problem code looked at for the tranny but over the 40 miles I got to see the improvement my B&M 70268 cooler has made. For highway driving the cooler kept the temp around the mid 170's. It did climb to 179 for a bit but not for long before it went back down. Before the cooler it was running in the low to mid 190's for this type of driving. For the last 4 miles of stop and go traffic to get to the dealer it did climb up to 183 degrees. Outside temps on the trip ranged from 85-91 and it was real humid.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Green1995SVX

Glad to hear that! Where did you put the sensor for your gauge? Oh, and you should come down to the car gathering at Ollies by Park City Mall next sunday. It was a blast yesterday. Bobby (LagunaBlueByU) came to it too!

-Mike
Old 07-01-2002, 12:12 PM

gauge location

I actually haven't looked but I did tell them to put it in the pan away from the inlet from the cooler.

I don't know about this meet thing. I think most people would laugh their asses off about my brat since my svx probably won't be done by then.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:07 PM
Green1995SVX

Ben-

You should come down. The brat would seriously be a hit!

oh, and if this guy brings his car, you can bring your brat. (see attachment.)

-Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010038.jpg (58.0 KB, 180 views)
Old 07-01-2002, 06:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Mike, was that the mini mall near the Burger King that we stopped at during the Reading meet?

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 07-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Green1995SVX

Nope, it's not. I have no idea where that was. hehe

-Mike
Old 07-01-2002, 07:10 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
My tranny and my wife's - both with 2 coolers - will stay at the outside temp + around 100 degrees cruising on the highway - torque converter locked. I can predict the outside temp by it. Traffic is another thing - it is pretty easy to heat it up to 210 on a hot day with a lot of slow crawls from stoplight to stoplight. It loves hard launches and stays cool for those but the 3k rpm slow shifting traffic launches bring the heat up fast with the torque converter slipping through the gears.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Are those two B&M coolers or the regular tube and fin coolers? I'm about to go and order the B&M because the two Hayden tube and fin coolers I have are just not efficient enough to keep the tranny cool on the hot days. The bad news is, it's probably already too late because the shift surges that usually only happened at high 190+ temps are now starting to happen at low temps too. If I can just get another 6 months out of it. ;-)

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
My tranny and my wife's - both with 2 coolers - will stay at the outside temp + around 100 degrees cruising on the highway - torque converter locked.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:28 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
One of the coolers is the B&M 70255 stacked plate design - mounted in front of the condenser. The other is a perma-cool 12511 with electric fan - mounted in the wheel well and is the regular tube and fin design.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Well I just got home with one of the new Hayden's that has the same stacked design as the B&M, since nobody seems to stock the B&M. They didn't have the 11x7 model in stock, so I had to get the 11x9. Hopefully I can get it to fit.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
One of the coolers is the B&M 70255 stacked plate design - mounted in front of the condenser. The other is a perma-cool 12511 with electric fan - mounted in the wheel well and is the regular tube and fin design.
Old 07-06-2002, 03:30 PM

Hey Mike

Maybe I will come down. I haven't even gotten to look at my car for a week now. I'm in withdraw!!! Ford did make one decent Tempo (remember I did say tempo so decent is relative). They shipped over the AWD system for a limited run Tempo but they left the Euro market turbo engine across the pond. Too bad but its not like their market understood what AWD was anyways.
Old 07-06-2002, 03:42 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Hey Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Maybe I will come down. I haven't even gotten to look at my car for a week now. I'm in withdraw!!! Ford did make one decent Tempo (remember I did say tempo so decent is relative). They shipped over the AWD system for a limited run Tempo but they left the Euro market turbo engine across the pond. Too bad but its not like their market understood what AWD was anyways.
OK ben I will add you to the list. You're bringing the brat, right?

-Mike
Old 07-06-2002, 07:07 PM

Ollies at 7ish Sunday

Yeah, I'll be in my brat. The SVX is still at the dealer and I absolutely hate my wife's jetta. That doesn't leave me with much else at the moment.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Tranny Temps

I just installed a Flex-a-lite 26,000 GVW cooler (part # 4126) in my car yesterday.. The dimensions are 10"x20"x3/4".I mounted it in series behind the condenser.. I'm now seeing an average of 148-150 highway and 170-175 city. I'm very happy with the results, and it was a cinch to install!

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 07-07-2002, 10:27 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

That's a BIG cooler. Any concerns about wintertime?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.