Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Mr Soob

Buying a 6 spd

Enough talk.

I'm getting a 6 spd DCCD through 'E'. I'm back in the country mid-Jan and will hopefully get started sometime in the first half of next year. It'll be going in the pearlie. It's my wedding present to me.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Buying a 6 spd

Well done...you'll love it

M
Old 11-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
Enough talk.

I'm getting a 6 spd DCCD through 'E'. I'm back in the country mid-Jan and will hopefully get started sometime in the first half of next year. It'll be going in the pearlie. It's my wedding present to me.
Good stuff McTaff.

How will you control the DCCD? If you use the TCU from the Impreza, will it work independently of the ECU from the SVX?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Mr Soob

The DCCD controller will come with it, as will the R180 w/sensor and so on. What I'm getting is almost a complete kit.

As far as I am aware, the ECU in the SVX doesn't need to receive anything back from the TCU?

I'm certainly not an expert in this area, but there is plenty of knowledge around here to draw on: to be honest the wiring is the part that makes me nervous. In any case, I'm not the first to do this and I'm sure I'll be able to find out here exactly what needs to be done there. I'm not doing the install myself - there are a couple of people on the board who have already offered to help me out and I intend to take full advantage of the experience we have here.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
Old 11-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

It is likely the ECU will work OK with the 6 speed, loads of people have put them in.

I'm not too certain of how many may have put in one that uses the DCCD, that's another level of complication. Assuming the DCCD controller "talks" to the gearbox and they get on about their business, I expect all should work OK.

In the SVX the TCU communicates with the ECU. As the gearchanges happen the ECU cuts power [possibly momentarily drops out one side of the flat six, I'm not 100% sure how it works] so that the clutches are saved and the gearchange is smooth. With a manual SVX the ECU does not get this signal, so this communication pattern is not a problem.

However, a problem you will have to overcome is the detente on starting. The engine will not start unless it gets a signal the gearbox is in Neutral or Park. You will have to fool the ECU into "thinking" the auto box is in Neutral.

SFAIK there are possibly two ways to achieve this. The guy putting in your box will probably know how to wire this.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
It is likely the ECU will work OK with the 6 speed, loads of people have put them in.

I'm not too certain of how many may have put in one that uses the DCCD, that's another level of complication. Assuming the DCCD controller "talks" to the gearbox and they get on about their business, I expect all should work OK.

In the SVX the TCU communicates with the ECU. As the gearchanges happen the ECU cuts power [possibly momentarily drops out one side of the flat six, I'm not 100% sure how it works] so that the clutches are saved and the gearchange is smooth. With a manual SVX the ECU does not get this signal, so this communication pattern is not a problem.

However, a problem you will have to overcome is the detente on starting. The engine will not start unless it gets a signal the gearbox is in Neutral or Park. You will have to fool the ECU into "thinking" the auto box is in Neutral.

SFAIK there are possibly two ways to achieve this. The guy putting in your box will probably know how to wire this.

Joe

There is a difference in using the Park or Neutral, for starting the engine. Hopefully Phil will find this, but the engine does a different start up routine when started in P than when started in N. Just my guess.

The other point on the DCCD, is that the original Australian TCU can be set to do the normal control over the center diff in the 6 speed the same as it does in the 4eat with VTD.

Harvey.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
There is a difference in using the Park or Neutral, for starting the engine. Hopefully Phil will find this, but the engine does a different start up routine when started in P than when started in N. Just my guess.

The other point on the DCCD, is that the original Australian TCU can be set to do the normal control over the center diff in the 6 speed the same as it does in the 4eat with VTD.

Harvey.

Harvey.
Hey Harvey does the ecu set a different fuel map in neutral as opposed to being in gear ?

cam
Old 11-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post
Hey Harvey does the ecu set a different fuel map in neutral as opposed to being in gear ?

cam
I am not sure where I found this, but it would appear that it does the start up differently. It probably treats the P start more as the first start of the day (depending on the temp) where as the N start, as a restart. I think the fast idle time is altered.

Harvey.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:36 PM

Registered SVX

When I rewired mine, I thought there was only one thick wire that went into the transmission loom. That was effectively the main start feed that went to the starter solenoid. If you short that out, then the starter works everytime you turn the key.

If there was a link to the ECU, I'm not sure how it would work.

Unless there was two wires to the starter solenoid...one for N and one for P and I just don't remember.

Matt
Old 11-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
When I rewired mine, I thought there was only one thick wire that went into the transmission loom. That was effectively the main start feed that went to the starter solenoid. If you short that out, then the starter works everytime you turn the key.

If there was a link to the ECU, I'm not sure how it would work.

Unless there was two wires to the starter solenoid...one for N and one for P and I just don't remember.

Matt
The ECU gets both the P and N signals from the Shift lever switch. It would use this to tell if the car is in gear, or just running at Idle.
It may not make much difference, but I do wonder why it needs to know, if it is in P or N? I think it is to do with the Idle routine.

Harvey.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:17 PM

and here it is..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kit3.jpg (35.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg kit4.jpg (45.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg kit5.jpg (34.6 KB, 117 views)
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive
Old 11-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

That looks like it is a pretty complete kit.

Just got to make it happen.

Harvey.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Mr Soob

The Meccano set from hell....
Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 PM

Its different on our car from the USA ones as the speedo is throught the TCU so you have to cut a couple of wires. The N & P switch is just to stop the car being started in gear, doesn't have much to do with the rest. Any effect on the idle is not that big an issue. It would take about 3 hours to fix the speedo, cruise and starter circut. Part of this involves poping a diode from the left side of the dash to get the cruise going.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Just for the record, the ECU sees a signal at the N & P pins only when there is voltage at them. So if there is no +v to the pins the ECU assumes a P or N state. The fueling *may* be different at start-up but the loaded maps are still the same

Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: