IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Wink SVX Key=God mode?

So while I've been trying (not) to drive my SVX because of the shakey shake issue which is hopefully only the O2 sensor (which should have been in the mail yesterday), I've been driving the Impreza.

So I drove the preza to the store only to look down and realize it was my SVX key in the ignition.... kind of baffled I was thinking maybe it's just because I have a crappy ignition.... so I proceeded to lock/unlock the doors and opened the trunk to the Impreza, all with my SVX key.

Just curious but has anyone had a similar experience? I'm tempted to pull over and start up the next Impreza I see on the side of the road just to see how well my newly found SVXGodKey works. (Don't mind me if I somehow magically have like 12 imprezas chilling in my drive way anytime in the near future)

It's a 93 btw... the Impreza. Someone in the Subaru labs have a key fab flaw/mishap perhaps? Just odd it seems....
Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 AM

Re: SVX Key=God mode?

My moms 2001 Pontiac Aztek key will start any 1995-96 Dodge Ram 1500. It's freaking awesome.

EDIT: I have a key to one of my old Rams(which is also very similar to the 98-00 Dodge Stratus keys. I will call my mom tomorrow and see if she'll take a pic of her key.. its identical to the Ram key besides the fact the Aztek key is chipped.

Last edited by togan07; 08-13-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:24 AM

I know of an instance where one mid-90s Ford Taurus key unlocked and started the wrong mid-90s Ford Taurus. The police were called.

dcb
Old 08-13-2008, 08:04 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
So while I've been trying (not) to drive my SVX because of the shakey shake issue which is hopefully only the O2 sensor (which should have been in the mail yesterday), I've been driving the Impreza.

So I drove the preza to the store only to look down and realize it was my SVX key in the ignition.... kind of baffled I was thinking maybe it's just because I have a crappy ignition.... so I proceeded to lock/unlock the doors and opened the trunk to the Impreza, all with my SVX key.

Just curious but has anyone had a similar experience? I'm tempted to pull over and start up the next Impreza I see on the side of the road just to see how well my newly found SVXGodKey works. (Don't mind me if I somehow magically have like 12 imprezas chilling in my drive way anytime in the near future)

It's a 93 btw... the Impreza. Someone in the Subaru labs have a key fab flaw/mishap perhaps? Just odd it seems....
Actually, it's more common than you might think. Whenever someone inadvertantly locks the keys in one of our cars (or even a customer or a friend of ours with a Subaru), we immediately round up ALL our Subaru keys and try them all. Sometimes you get lucky!

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

A friend of mine walked out of a mall, got in "his" car, started it, started driving, then noticed that a baby seat had magically appeared in the back. He quickly brought the car back and found his real car.

At Reading there was one person lock/unlocking 3 or 4 cars at the same time with his key fob. That was amusing.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Eric has had quite the interesting experience with this. He has owned 3 svxi. His key has opened and started all 3 of them... 92, 94, and his 96. These keys will not open or start any other svx... just his. Its kinda neat

Tom
Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Phil & Belha

Subaru (and Nissan?) use an old Datsun key design. There are only a couple of thousand possible combinations, so there are plenty of cars driving about with the exact same key.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post

At Reading there was one person lock/unlocking 3 or 4 cars at the same time with his key fob. That was amusing.
Hey, let's not point fingers here!
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Subaru (and Nissan?) use an old Datsun key design. There are only a couple of thousand possible combinations, so there are plenty of cars driving about with the exact same key.
Datsun = Nissan

Some Toyotas use the same blank as well, my old Datsun pickup I had in high school, it's key was a spare key to my friend's 85 Camry, and it also turned the ignition of every Datsun I tried in the junkyard, but it wouldn't work the ignition.

When I went to look at my SVX once, before I brought it home, the guy couldn't find the key, so I tried the "bring every Subaru key you have" trick, and it didn't work I'm just glad they didn't make like Lexus and use a goofy laser cut key for our cars...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

The key for my '95 will unlock and start my friends '99 Ford F150.

But none of my SVX keys work in the other SVX's.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10

My parents' 96 Legacy key would start my 92 SVX, but the problem was that it wouldn't operate the door lock cylinder. They drove my SVX with their key, arrived, locked the car manually, and then...ruh roh...can't get back in!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10 View Post
My parents' 96 Legacy key would start my 92 SVX, but the problem was that it wouldn't operate the door lock cylinder. They drove my SVX with their key, arrived, locked the car manually, and then...ruh roh...can't get back in!
Yea, I tried opening the door with the impreza key but I didn't even think about trying to start the SVX giving the fact that it didn't open the door I didn't think to bother.

So they called you then I take it?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM

millions and millions of cars and very few "different" configurations in comparison... Think about it!

Keith
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
millions and millions of cars and very few "different" configurations in comparison... Think about it!

Keith
Keys are just one more thing that we keep around to make ourselves feel "comfortable" and secure.

Anything one man can make, another man can undermine...
There was once a hefty reward offer for anyone who could crack a database, and although some of the greatest minds took the challenge, no one could seem to figure it out! It was imposible!!!!

...there was no password
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian

When I had 2 running ford trucks I grabed a set of keys, unlocked the door, and spent 10 minutes trying to start it before I realized I had the wrong keys!
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.